Jump to content
BANGKOK
Dario

Amazon shipping to Thailand incredibly fast!

Recommended Posts

Transhippers can be a reasonable option, but there are some considerations:

 

-- Amazon itself is usually OK with transhipments, but some online retailers in the US will not ship to a known transhipment address. Sometimes it's hidden in their terms, sometimes you don't know till you find your order suddenly cancelled.

 

-- Transhippers often have a long list of prohibited goods, which sometimes includes such common things as electronics with lithium batteries (e.g., mobile phones) and powdery/liquid stuffs (e.g., cosmetics).

 

-- Returning goods can be more than difficult. This is a concern especially when buying clothes on Amazon, where descriptions and sizings and colors and order fillings are too frequently haphazard: you frequently don't get just what you ordered.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 2:36 PM, 4evermaat said:

In my test case, I think I made out pretty well

 

Snag_242d01b0.png.236f039d12e569d7771b9e65d463f0b3.png

 

As buying direct from the seller's website off amazon was about the same price as on amazon.com with shipping + customs estimate (thank you amazon for pressuring vendors to increase their off-amazon site similar listings).  But the non-amazon shipping would be more generic, especially international.   Amazon seems to be using air expedited shipping relationships with fedex/ups/dhl to the destination country.  Then passed off to a local carrier (Kerry, Thai Post, etc) for the final delivery.

 

 

I got it on the 19th.  It actually came on the 18th, and ThaiPost left a notice on the door.  So I will count it as delivered on 18th.

 

Amazon's tracking isn't the greatest (for int'l packages).  What you need to do is once Amazon ships it and assigns the tracking # from i-parcel, you must go to i-parcel's website and input the tracking # there to get more up-to-date tracking info.  Then "subscribe" to the tracking updates with your email.   

 

They will issue two important email updates:

  • Arrived at destination and undergoing Customs
  • Entered into local delivery system

 

Once it is entered into the local delivery system, you should get it 1-2 days after that.

 

They used i-parcel (UPS subsidiary) to get it to the country, and then in my case they used ThaiPost EMS for the final leg to my house.  No extra money was requested.  And the bubble-wrap envelope packaging had Prime smile logo all over it.  And the custom's label actually had "Personal Computer - New" in clear English. @Langsuan Man may be particularly interested in that detail.   

 

1200142871_amazonglobalexpeditediparcel.jpg.466bdce8138f94a4473089b2f1967c7e.jpg

 

Again, in my case, the price was the same if I would have bought it directly from the company ($39).  But they likely would have used generic air shipping from their Chinese factory or wherever.

 

Others have noted if you used the "Priority" option, you might have saved 1-3 days and Kerry would likely be used instead of ThaiPost.   It's only a few USD more depending on the weightd.  Perhaps on a future order, I will test the "Priority" option.   The regular Expedited option took 8 days.  Ordered on the 10th around 21:00 (gmt +7) and it arrived to the door on the 18th before 16:00.

 

My only complaint is that they do not give you the local tracking number.  So you are on your own.  And i-parcel's customer service did not yet reply to my email.  They claim 24/7 support.  I sent it on the 15th requesting the local tracking #, as I suspected it would be different from their own tracking #.   And the package still shows as "Entered into local delivery system".

 

 

On 10/12/2019 at 11:36 PM, HandsomeTallFarang said:

How much is the shipping cost?

 

also I still can’t figure out how to write the address of condo. Lol.

 

im afraid whatever I order will never arrive because I can’t figure out how to write my address.

 

It varies depending on how much you buy, what you buy.  the shipping carrier costs seems to be very cheap (for an air express package).  It is the customs estimate that can make you blink.

 

Amazon.com makes it really easy to check the total cost first..  First you must change your address to Thai address.  Or at least Thailand as the country (without having to add address).  This will let you know if that particular item ships to thailand.   And then you mouseover or refresh page.   

 

At worst, just go to the checkout page and get to the last page.  It will give you the estimate there:

 

Snag_243c44ab.png.be51ffd9429935858da03e6db4d0ab92.png

 

If you have multiple items, click on the shopping cart and proceed to checkout.   They will ask where you want it to ship.  Now you must enter the complete Thai address.  Then select credit card to use.  Then the review page will contain. 

 

Do not press "place order" unless you actually ready to buy.  You are just checking the price for the total shipment.

 

Other people in your condo or nearby have a foreigner there or a Thai that has some English?  They could help with getting you an English transliteration address.  OR a business card / contract for the condo must have had some English at some point.

 

Check PM also.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to get new Apple Airpods Pro. They cost $249 on Amazon. They won't ship to Thailand. 

 

I was hoping someone might help. If I send them to someone in the US and they repackage and send to me, how much will Thailand want for duty? Does it do any good to repackage them as a gift? 

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pinot said:

I want to get new Apple Airpods Pro. They cost $249 on Amazon. They won't ship to Thailand. 

 

I was hoping someone might help. If I send them to someone in the US and they repackage and send to me, how much will Thailand want for duty? Does it do any good to repackage them as a gift? 

 

Thanks

There are plenty of "forwarding" agents in the US. The declaration is the important factor as to what gets stopped etc, and you can work on around 20% of value & shipping cost combined, by USPS, DO NOT use any form of courier ! "Gift" means nothing, it's the declared details/value etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

There are plenty of "forwarding" agents in the US. The declaration is the important factor as to what gets stopped etc, and you can work on around 20% of value & shipping cost combined, by USPS, DO NOT use any form of courier ! "Gift" means nothing, it's the declared details/value etc.

Not so. Thai customs often apply their own 'assessed' value regardless of declared value. It seems they are getting much more aggressive with charging duty and anything with an assessed value over Bt1,500 is liable to duty unless in an exempt category. I just got clobbered for GBP 100 on something that cost me GBP 150. They assessed a jacket on the weight of the fabric (mistook wool for spun gold obviously) and charged me total Bt 3,900 on their assessed value of Bt10,000.

 

Don't be too sure labeling as 'gift' or commercial sample will work in the new regime.

Edited by mokwit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Not so. Thai customs often apply their own 'assessed' value regardless of declared value. It seems they are getting much more aggressive with charging duty and anything with an assessed value over Bt1,500 is liable to duty unless in an exempt category. I just got clobbered for GBP 100 on something that cost me GBP 150. They assessed a jacket on the weight of the fabric (mistook it for spun gold obviously) and charged me total Bt 3,900 on their assessed value of Bt10,000.

 

Don't be too sure labeling as 'gift' or commercial sample will work in the new regime.

Had you had the purchase receipt of "actual value" you could dispute it and/or  claim it back which is a relatively easy process and takes about 3 weeks in my experience.

However, as stated in general terms, and of course will vary, as do most things in Thailand, dependent on the item category and who stops it on the day !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Had you had the purchase receipt of "actual value" you could dispute it and/or  claim it back which is a relatively easy process and takes about 3 weeks in my experience.

However, as stated in general terms, and of course will vary, as do most things in Thailand, dependent on the item category and who stops it on the day !

OK thanks, I will look at that in future - on this occasion I did not have a receipt enclosed  - maybe they opened the package to look to see if there was one (the sender ignored all my instructions for favourable treatment and put nothing in the value declaration). I have noticed how some sellers include the invoice in a plastic pouch on the outside of the packaging).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mokwit said:

OK thanks, I will look at that in future - on this occasion I did not have a receipt enclosed  - maybe they opened the package to look to see if there was one (the sender ignored all my instructions for favourable treatment and put nothing in the value declaration). I have noticed how some sellers include the invoice in a plastic pouch on the outside of the packaging).

 

No value declaration is a sure way to get a postal parcel singled out for a detailed inspection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...