BANGKOK
Dario

Amazon shipping to Thailand incredibly fast!

10 minutes ago, canopy said:

I can't see any risk with Thai post involved. If the package gets lost from any carrier then Amazon will refund you for everything.

I can see a problem whenever Thai Post is involved, since they are as thick as thieves with Thai Customs (no pun intended)

I purchased a new Google Pixel 2 from Google and had it shipped to Thailand via a re-mailer.  Tracked it all the way to Bangkok Mail Center and Customs, then to Si Racha, then to Ao Udom, where it showed "out for delivery" and an delivery status that showed on the same day it was received with the annotation: International (Unsuccessful Attempt)

Took tracking to my local post office and they gave me a form and directed me to Customs in Lan Chabang.  When I got there they had me produce my passport, which they copied and made me sign but when they went to get my package they told me that it had been sent to Bangkok and I would have to go to Bangkok to get it

Then they hit me with the real bomb shell:  Since it was a cell phone, I would have to go and obtain an import license from the government for a "broadcasting " license to import a mobile phone into the kingdom since, like all cell phones , it contained a transmitter that uses the Thai airwaves.  (Insert the <deleted>, here )

No appeal, get the license or the phone will be shipped back to the sender (me) in thirty days.  So since it was insured I refused and watched it sit somewhere from March 31st to May 22nd when tracking showed it being accepted back into Bangkok Mail Center, USPS tracking received a notice that package was coming but cancelled the tracking number when it did not show up in the US system after a month  

Finally by September 27th my claim was honored BUT, I was only reimbursed for the declared value of the items (not the actual value) plus International postage so I lost about $100 for the exercise

So just assume that if Thai Post gets involved in anything of high value, it is going to go missing most of the time 

• Sad 1

That experience has nothing to do with Amazon. If you made the order using Amazon the experience could have been a lot different. You have the upper hand and are no longer at the mercy of any of these carriers to do as they please.

• Like 1

On buying from Amazon. On any product page, you will see 'sold by xxx and fulfilled by yyy'. Typically yyy is Amazon but sometimes it is the seller itself who will ship it to you and is a third party seller that does not utilize Amazon's fulfillment services but does utilize Amazon's storefront.

I aways click on 'xxx' to see how long the buyer has been on Amazon's storefront and what their rating is. Only buy from sellers who have a long history with Amazon and who have good ratings. I usually check both the seller rating as well as the product rating itself to understand the experience of other people that have bought the same product.

I have noticed over the last few months a large influx of new sellers (I think mostly from China but I am not certain) because they have no history and some of them simply disappear. You usually find these sellers if you look at "today's deals' or the 'lightning deals'. I once purchased something from one of these sellers and when I had a problem with it, I went back to find the seller but that page had disappeared. After that experience, I have now stick to only sellers that have a long history with Amazon (longer than 12 months) and whose product has good ratings from a large number of purchasers (greater than 50). You will find that those products that have extremely good ratings but only a handful of reviewers are suspect since the reviewers could be employees of the seller even if it says verified purchase. I look for products that have hundreds of reviews - never had a problem following this strategy.

On cell phones - I have purchased 2 cell phones in different times and I have had no problems with receiving the product although I did pay VAT in one case and nothing in the 2nd. Both came through I-Parcel and then via Thai Post.

As I have said before, in 15 years of experience, never had an issue with Thai Post. I think they are just like USPS or Malaysian Post with whom I also have a long history with. But because of where I currently live, I do track the parcel and when I see it has reached the post office I usually go straight to the post office and pick it up. FYI .. Thai Post has a customer contact center that you can call and they can tell you exactly where the parcel is and they can also tell you how much duties are due, if any.

As always, when dealing with any Thai entity - the Post Office, Immigration, banks etc - politeness, soft spoken talking and patience goes a long way to getting things done. Anger, loud voices, aggressive gestures will invariably not get you anywhere. Thais disdain aggressive behaviour and when faced with such behaviour will go out of their way to make it even more difficult for you. You can't win especially if you don't speak Thai well. My 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

I use a company called Shipito.com.  They will give you a virtual address in the US. 

I placed an order on Amazon a few days ago and they sent it to my Shipito address in California.  

Then I pay a few dollars for Shipito to send it to Thailand.  I only buy small stuff with little value this way. And it is sent to me the cheapest way by mail so it could take 30 days. 

Edited by balo
  • Thanks 1

DineshR,

Well, I took my chances.  The product was only $50 and the shipping $65! 

No choice on shipping options nor any indication of what service they'll use. 

Seller has 100% rating.  Delivery between Oct 17, to Nov. 1, so doubtful it's FedEx, DHL or UPS.  ( Fingers Crossed )  😯

SurfRider,

I am really surprised with the shipping cost ! I've never paid more for shipping than the cost of the product. Did you mean to say that the total cost including shipping was $65 ? Or was the estimated duty on it high ?

Sent from my PH-1 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

The shipping alone was $65 - no taxes or Customs duties were listed.

This is the actual final summary

Amazon-TV.jpg

Dario,

You seemed to leave out some important details.

1.    What was the shipping cost?

2.    How much did the item weigh?

3.    What, if any,  were the duty fees you needed to pay?

I'd love to use Amazon for far more than my Kindle purchases.

If you want to know shipping cost, duty fees etc just look at an item you want on the Amazon site. It tells you. It also tells you estimate of how long it will take. Then you can make your own choice.

On 9/29/2018 at 4:59 PM, canopy said:

That experience has nothing to do with Amazon. If you made the order using Amazon the experience could have been a lot different. You have the upper hand and are no longer at the mercy of any of these carriers to do as they please.

It has to do with the "last mile" and should serve as a warning about The Royal Thai Post Office and the common assumption that using them is some how cheaper and safer than private carriers

Not true if something goes missing and once an item enters their system a customer has no control or appeal

Just a pair of running shoes, probably less than 2 kilo. 

Seems strange there were no choices for shipping and nothing about Duties or Taxes. Implies those will need to be settled on the receiving end.

Apparently an Amazon shopping experience differs widely from one person to the next. 

7 hours ago, SurfRider said:

Just a pair of running shoes, probably less than 2 kilo. 

Seems strange there were no choices for shipping and nothing about Duties or Taxes. Implies those will need to be settled on the receiving end.

Apparently an Amazon shopping experience differs widely from one person to the next. 

Usually with Amazon Global shipments, any tax and duty amounts are pre-calculated into the purchase price, and the buyer is guaranteed that nothing extra will be required at delivery beyond their prepayment. And sometimes, will receive a refund if tax/customs charges are less.

In the case you described, was your purchase an item sold BY or fulfilled BY Amazon, or an item sold ON Amazon by some third party seller and sent by that third party seller? AFAIK, the Amazon Global shipping program is mainly for items sold and/or fulfilled directly BY Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/International-Shipping-Direct/b?ie=UTF8&amp;node=230659011

About Import Fees Deposit

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

There were four possible "shops" on Amazon that had the shoe in my size.  I chose the one with a 98% rating, the listing was similar to the "shoecity" one below - it was called "NICE KICKS" and had  good comments from customers. "NICE KICKS" is not in the available list today - hopefully that means they're out-of-stock and not out of business!

The actual order details are in the second image below - can't tell about the "fulfilled by" status.

Probably the worst news is that the tracking shows they handed it off to USPS - I had hoped that would not happen - two previous USPS shipments (not Amazon) tracked to their Chicago shipping center, then vanished from the system - presumably when they entered the Thai Postal system. They never arrived.  I had hoped to have a choice of shippers and would have used FedEX, UPS, or DHL, but no option was offered.

I almost chose a more expensive pair of shoes but decided to do a "test" order with a less expensive pair in the event that something went wrong - as the data compiles, it sounds like that might have been a good decision  🙄

TVall.jpg

tvall2.jpg

45 minutes ago, SurfRider said:

TVall.jpg

tvall2.jpg

That info above would suggest the item was NOT sold and/or shipped/fulfilled by Amazon, but rather, a third party seller who sells on the Amazon platform.  The third party sellers who handle their own shipping, AFAIK, are not part of the Amazon Global shipping program.

This is the kind of product listing you would see when ordering something thru Amazon Global where Amazon handles the international shipping, even when the seller is a 3rd party. It will say, "fulfilled by Amazon." It also will say "Amazon Global shipping."

1716504560_2018-10-0213_39_53.jpg.0f2eebc19e2e5f01e1356c501836b13b.jpg

Here's the portal page for Amazon's Global shipping site. Do a product search from this page to find items that can be sent via Amazon Global internationally.

https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=230659011

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1