Permanent resident visa

I am from Belgium. I live already 9 years in Pattaya. In 2012 married to a Thai woman.

I am looking for a good lawyer you can help me to get a permanent resident visa. Is there someone who has experience with a lawyer?

Thanks for your answer.

So, have you been working in Thailand with a work permit for at least the last three years? If you haven't you would not qualify for permanent residence, and if you have you should look into possibly applying for Thai citizenship instead.

Sophon

• Like 1

I don't think you can apply for Thai citizenship until you are first a Thai Permanent Resident for a fixed number of years.  Its a fairly paper intensive process, and the main paper they seem to want is your tax income returns.

Edited by Horace

23 minutes ago, Sophon said:

So, have you been working in Thailand with a work permit for at least the last three years? If you haven't you would not qualify for permanent residence, and if you have you should look into possibly applying for Thai citizenship instead.

Sophon

I belive there is a permanent resident path for married to a Thai that doesn't require tax or work permit. Thai citizenship comes after PR.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Horace said:

I don't think you can apply for Thai citizenship until you are first a Thai Permanent Resident for a fixed number of years.  Its a fairly paper intensive process, and the main paper they seem to want is your tax income returns.

Your info is almost a decade out of date.

Since the nationality act was amended in 2008 a person married to a Thai does not have to have permanent residence to apply for Thai citizenship. It requires working for 3 years with a work permit and paying taxes.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Since the nationality act was amended in 2008 a person married to a Thai does not have to have permanent residence to apply for Thai citizenship. It requires working for 3 years with a work permit and paying taxes.

Sorry, you are right.  I applied for citizenship before 2008 and so had the PR status first.  Getting citizenship took much longer than getting PR status, but maybe that has also changed.  PR status did not seem to take long, but citizenship took around 12+ years.

Hi,

i'll try again .......?

you asked for a lawyer in regards to your visa/questions /everything .........so far from what i have read( herrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeee)  you havn't got an answer ....

so try here please.......: <contact by personal message for info>

regards ,

CARLO BALDASSARRE ...

Edited by ubonjoe
removed a commercial link (forum rule)

I am married in 2012 (In Thailand). I have no work permit, I don't work in Thailand. As author, I have income in Belgium and I pay taxation in Thailand. I have adopted the eldest daughter of my wife. The procedure for the youngest (minor) daughter is almost finished. Cn I also apply for Thai nationality instead of permanent resident?

8 hours ago, eugeenva said:

I am married in 2012 (In Thailand). I have no work permit, I don't work in Thailand. As author, I have income in Belgium and I pay taxation in Thailand. I have adopted the eldest daughter of my wife. The procedure for the youngest (minor) daughter is almost finished. Cn I also apply for Thai nationality instead of permanent resident?

Unless you are working with a work permit you will not be able to apply for permanent residency or Thai nationality.

9 hours ago,  eugeenva said: 

Unless you are working with a work permit you will not be able to apply for permanent residency or Thai nationality.

Hi Ubonjoe, what is the minimum income if married to a Thai and applying for citizenship or Pr ? 

Any idea how long it may take?

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, davebodo said:

Hi Ubonjoe, what is the minimum income if married to a Thai and applying for citizenship or Pr ? 

Any idea how long it may take?

For citizens it is a income of 40k baht and for PR 50k baht (latest info I am aware of).

Average time is about 3 years for both. But some people have waited much longer.

Thanks Ubonjoe,

Another quick question,

Do I need to be on extension based on marriage or work to apply for citizenship?

I came on Non B visa 8 years ago. 

Any regulations on what type of visa I enter the country ?

Thanks again.

37 minutes ago, davebodo said:

Do I need to be on extension based on marriage or work to apply for citizenship?

I came on Non B visa 8 years ago. 

Any regulations on what type of visa I enter the country ?

The basis of you extension of stay does not matter. Same for the basis of the visa that allowed the entry you have been extending.

There is a lot of info in this topic. dbrenn's story of Thai citizenship application

• 1 year later...
On 7/9/2018 at 11:08 AM, ubonjoe said:

I would like to get my PR. I have a "Thai Wife" VISA. I understand I need three years for the VISA and three years with a work permit. First question if I may, is why does PR require a work permit? Secondly, How does one get a work permit? I currently work as an international contractor, one month in, one month out schedule. Know of, or can you recommend any job that is part-time or volunteer type that would give me a work permit so that I may qualify for the PR? Thank you for your time. 

Edited by Tounge Thaied

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to be working for a company to get a work permit and be paid at least 50k baht per month for 3 consecutive years to apply for PR. 

Wow. That sucks... so beyond really the "Thai Wife" and "Retirement" extensions of stay, there are no options unless you pay for the OX or Elite... does that sound about right?