Man islands in Rayong to be designated as protected area

webfact

Man islands in Rayong to be designated as protected area

Mun.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 10 July 2018 (NNT) - A meeting of Thailand's national policy and planning committee on marine and coastal resources has agreed to issue a ministerial regulation to designate the Man islands in Rayong province as a protected area under Section 20. 

The Man islands cover an area of more than 7,664 hectares. The islands will be designated as a protected area because of their abundant natural resources, including coral reefs, sea grass, rare aquatic animals and migratory birds. 

The committee said it will announce measures to protect marine and coastal resources in Trang province under Section 22. The resources are found in an area of more than 14,600 hectares. It has the most sea grass in the lower Andaman region as well as rare aquatic animals like dugongs. 

The meeting also acknowledged the results of activities to celebrate World Ocean Day on 8 June 2018. The activities addressed the issue of sea garbage and campaigned for a reduction in the use of plastic bags. 

At the meeting, Deputy Prime Minister Gen.Prawit Wongsuwon presented honorary symbols to governors from 25 coastal provinces for their achievements in marine protection.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-07-10

The Man islands, from memory one being Ko Man Oa which was a private island which I was fortunate to visited some 20 years ago, are to the east of Samet. I think they meant Kleang, which is the launching place for the Man islands, not Trang. But I may be wrong. Another of the 3 island set had a turtle conservation farm on it. 

Archived