"Best" Chiang Mai Pharmacy ?

Kohsamida

Just wondering what's your vote for the best pharmacy in Chiang Mai (for Farangs).  There are a ton of pharmacies for sure but very few that carry an extensive inventory or that have English-speaking staff.

Right now my vote is with Peera Pharmacy.  Anyone care to add to this list?

32 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Why would the best pharmacy for Thais not also be the best for farangs?

Primarily language; pharmacist's ability to understand customer's needs and either carry an extensive supply of western products or know the equivalent available brands that will do the same job.

Peera Pharmacy looks to be at ground zero for the tourist trade...

I would worry that their prices would be higher...

Peera:  https://goo.gl/maps/tu4fjibGGLA2

Also as a general rule I go in with the name of what I want on my phone - show them it and say “Oow GENERIC” (showing them I’m Cheap Charlie- ;-))... If they bring me anything in a box I am suspect that they are up selling me a expensive alternative - Then I ask Mee GENERIC Mai?...  ?

7 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I think you're right; they are a bit on the high side but the pharmacist is really quite knowledgable and she takes the time to understand your needs, and also to explain options when they exist, and not just sell you the most expensive item.  She's a really nice lady too.   Thanks for the heads-up on Fascino though; nice to know there are good options.

16 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

I think you're right; they are a bit on the high side but the pharmacist is really quite knowledgable and she takes the time to understand your needs, and also to explain options when they exist, and not just sell you the most expensive item.  She's a really nice lady too.   Thanks for the heads-up on Fascino though; nice to know there are good options.

Peera pharmacy, yes.  I have sometimes gone to her instead of a doctor. Very satisfied always. 

Just now, amexpat said:

Peera pharmacy, yes.  I have sometimes gone to her instead of a doctor. Very satisfied always. 

I think of her the same way.  I've gotten better advice from her than I have from a lot of doctors actually.  Very intelligent lady!

2 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

carry an extensive supply of western products or know the equivalent available brands that will do the same job

If you are looking for a specific brand or it's equivalent Google & online suppliers are your answer.

If you have a new problem then find a Pharmacist that speaks the language you require and describe the symptoms.  Often a quicker and cheaper alternative than going to a doctor/Hospital. (minor ailments only obviously!).

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

If you are looking for a specific brand or it's equivalent Google & online suppliers are your answer.

If you have a new problem then find a Pharmacist that speaks the language you require and describe the symptoms.  Often a quicker and cheaper alternative than going to a doctor/Hospital. (minor ailments only obviously!).

How can there be a such a thing as "Best Chiang Mai Pharmacy"?  That is an even more ridiculous a question than "Best Burger/Thai food" etcetera crap that is repeatedly posted on TV.  I suspect it is probably to get the OP's count of posts and responses up - not that this OP needs any help in that direction given it's short time as a TV member.

PS:  When asking for the best of anything why are you giving an answer to your own question.  You have already asked it and answered it so why post it or have you a finger or two in the pie(s)?

Agree there is no such thing as the BEST Pharmacy.You have a multitude of choices in CM.In fact not sure how some make a living,maybe explains them opening and closing.If you are seeking help Peera is very good as her English skills and knowledge are excellent however

knowing what I need to  buy, 7 medications every mth, 6 come from a one man Thai Pharmacy  who owns the property, has no staff or rent to pay so can retail at a lower price.

What he doesnt carry is one that I get from Pharma's Choice.I probably save a minimum of 500 -600 baht per mth,adds up over the years and he's 5 mins drive away

Mine is another vote for Dara Pharmacy, mentioned above, for a couple reasons. They almost always have the meds that can't be found elsewhere. There are English speakers on staff. Their prices are reasonable -- maybe not the cheapest but certainly not expensive. They are open every day until 11.00 pm!

Also, frequently pharmacy people, including English speakers, are not familiar with the term "generic" which is surprising. If you ask for "Thai brand" you will get the generic equivalent.

4 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Agree there is no such thing as the BEST Pharmacy.You have a multitude of choices in CM.In fact not sure how some make a living,maybe explains them opening and closing.If you are seeking help Peera is very good as her English skills and knowledge are excellent however

knowing what I need to  buy, 7 medications every mth, 6 come from a one man Thai Pharmacy  who owns the property, has no staff or rent to pay so can retail at a lower price.

What he doesnt carry is one that I get from Pharma's Choice.I probably save a minimum of 500 -600 baht per mth,adds up over the years and he's 5 mins drive away

Care to share who the one-man operation is?  I, and many others, probably wouldn't mind saving some baht ?

5 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Just wondering what's your vote for the best pharmacy in Chiang Mai (for Farangs).  There are a ton of pharmacies for sure but very few that carry an extensive inventory or that have English-speaking staff.

I would suggest that the "Boots" outlets fulfil all of your criteria as do a number of other "Farang/Westeren" outlets!

PS why are you asking this question in the first place, have you had a problem with a pharmacy?

There is a pharmacy close to the Iron Bridge, (across kitty corner) towards thr Worowot Bridge.....Across from what used to have signs for shower massages...Liquor store next to it & convenience store adjoining.

Huge stock with good english speaking pharmacists on duty...

Stock is watched closely & no expiration date worries....

Unfortunately, I don't recall the name...I usually buy 3 months at a time.....

50 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

There is a pharmacy close to the Iron Bridge, (across kitty corner) towards thr Worowot Bridge.....Across from what used to have signs for shower massages...Liquor store next to it & convenience store adjoining.

Huge stock with good english speaking pharmacists on duty...

Stock is watched closely & no expiration date worries....

Unfortunately, I don't recall the name...I usually buy 3 months at a time.....

Save Drug Center on Changklan Rd maybe?  They have some pretty positive reviews on Google.  https://goo.gl/maps/xNcsJ1Nrdk52

44 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Save Drug Center on Changklan Rd maybe?  They have some pretty positive reviews on Google.  https://goo.gl/maps/xNcsJ1Nrdk52

No, not that one - but I moved the pin to just about where it is.....Largest selection of Rx I've seen here.... 

Plus it's the only place that had what I wanted....

Screenshot_2018-07-10-20-55-38-95.png

No, not that one - but I moved the pin to just about where it is.....Largest selection of Rx I've seen here.... 

Then I guess it must be this place:  ธ. เจริญเภสัชมินิมาร์เก็ต.  Thanks for adding it to the list ?

https://goo.gl/maps/1cNkxiQ154S2

5 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Just spotted it "dee thee sut Pharmacy", next to the 7/11 by the temple.

That is without a doubt the best one.  Been going there for years.  The pharmacist is so hot who gives a shit about her language skills or inventory.  I always come out feeling so good.

11 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Then I guess it must be this place:  ธ. เจริญเภสัชมินิมาร์เก็ต.  Thanks for adding it to the list ?

https://goo.gl/maps/1cNkxiQ154S2

Yes - that's it to the left side.....Shotgun layout....That wall is lined about 9 ft high with meds as well as the display cases.....They also keep some in a room to the rear....

Quite heavily stocked.....

I tried every pharmacy from  the Hang Dong area market to inside town before I found what I wanted at this place (per recommendation).....

To the right side is their convenience store......

17 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Primarily language; pharmacist's ability to understand customer's needs and either carry an extensive supply of western products or know the equivalent available brands that will do the same job.

I've never met a Pharmacist anywhere in Thailand that can't speak English. Some of the staff can't of course.

16 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Also as a general rule I go in with the name of what I want on my phone - show them it and say “Oow GENERIC” (showing them I’m Cheap Charlie- ;-))... If they bring me anything in a box I am suspect that they are up selling me a expensive alternative - Then I ask Mee GENERIC Mai?...  ?

Their pricing is at the top end 100%. Right in the center of the tourist trade.

If the thread is about the most knowledgeable pharmacist and not the price, then I would add to the list the guy who owns Green Pharma in KSK. I believe he is also a doctor. He has the customers sit down and he goes over what medications they are taking, checks for interactions and makes recommendations after a discussion with the customer. His English is perfect. He will also not sell meds if he thinks it is not necessary. About 10 years ago I took a friend there and after a discussion with the pharmacist, he walked with my friend into Tops and recommended a 40 Baht herb over any drug. He told my friend to take the herb for 30 days and have his blood checked again and then come see him. My friend said the blood test was lower than it had been in years.

Archived