why AirAsia is so expensive nowadays?

chado

For instance, from Cambodia. Not only it's awfully expensive on all routes, but Malaysia AirLines is cheaper on some route - $79 vs 92. Add to that that Malaysia AirLines includes 30 kg baggage

I can't recall when was the last time when I saw at skyscanner AirAsia not being the cheapest one - not on the 1st place. 

Air Asia used to give good prices, but now they are just trying to fleece people the same as the major airlines. 

It is ALWAYS worth a few bucks more for good service, free luggage and a bite to eat on the flight.

If they flew to Swampy or Utapao, I might consider using them again, but then again, probably not.

They just are not a discount airline anymore. Prices for flights are all over the place and I agree, not the cheapest anymore by a long way.

They need to sharpen up as many I know won't use them anymore.

Because they have been around long enough to start to incur the costs that made all airlines more expensive years ago. Keeping good employees, especially good pilots, maintaining aging aircraft and replacing where its needed makes the airline business an expensive investment. See how quick some of the 'cheap' companies come and go, simply because they never made enough to cover some unexpected expense. The national airlines get special help; wasn't Malayasian seriously bankrupt a while ago? 

7 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

And the fact that there are 20 different dollars and no one seems to indicate which one.

Always the biggest dollar  US$. You can change the currency on the booking page

35 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Always the biggest dollar  US$. You can change the currency on the booking page

I wasn't referring to an airline's website. I was referring to posters on TV using dollars and assuming we all know the value.

When you have pushed most of the competition out of the game, Then who will be big enough to return? So, you set the prices for what has become no more than bus service, If they could they would have you sitting on the floor. 

26 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I wasn't referring to an airline's website. I was referring to posters on TV using dollars and assuming we all know the value.

Almost everywhere uses $$$$$s, if you don't understand it, you aren't living in the modern world.

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Almost everywhere uses $$$$$s, if you don't understand it, you aren't living in the modern world.

And almost everywhere they use the metric system. If you don't you aren't living in the moder world.

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

US, Canada, New Zealand,Australia,Singapore, Hong Kong,Jamaica,Cayman Islands,Botswana,and many others all use a currency called dollar. All are different values. Way off topic so no futher replies.

1 minute ago, duanebigsby said:
27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

US, Canada, New Zealand,Australia,Singapore, Hong Kong,Jamaica,Cayman Islands,Botswana,and many others all use a currency called dollar. All are different values. Way off topic so no futher replies.

Air Asia will charge you in about any currency you want. However Euros and US Dollars pop up as your 3rd and 4th choices (their online software does that) . If flying from Thailand  they offer the ticket in Baht, then whatever country your are flying to followed by dollars and Euros. Those are not "loonies" either. No further discussion.

Delays, not cheap once you get the normal basics added in and coupled with a poor web site and online checkin. Not forgetting they won’t check thru luggage to their own flights. I have been stung several times now I don’t use them at all. I do email AA support when I’m flying other airlines to remind them of a lost customer.

Competition.  You can still find bargains on Air Asia.  But like all air travel nowadays, you have to take time and do comparison shopping.  You can't just assume one airline is always going to have the cheapest flights to every destination.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I'd have thought Thai baht would be more appropriate for a Thai forum as most here use it on a daily basis. I have never had to use a dollar in my life.

I can remember only two times where Air Asia has been NOT the cheapest airline.
So I would say it depends on your destination and timing.
Had around 10 domestic and international flights in the last two years.
Btw, I only fly with cabin luggage. AFAIK Nok Air and Thai Lion Air include now a certain piece of checked in luggage. Just as information.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I’m aware Thailand uses THB, Malaysia uses MR Indonesia uses IRP, most of Europe use the €....... so forgive me for disagreeing 

3 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

And the fact that there are 20 different dollars and no one seems to indicate which one.

And, ain't it amazing how one of those dollars has all denominations of bills the same size and color?

Malaysian Airlines is not a good example, circumstances forced them into reducing prices, my wife wouldn't use them if they were giving the tickets away.

Over the last few years Air Asia has manipulated the baggage charges which catches quite a few out. In recent local skyscanner searches I have seen them lose the lowest fare to the likes of Nok Air and Vietjet.

With AirAsia it’s all about timing. I use them frequently and try to book as far as possible in advance, avoid weekends and so on. I use other airlines when flight times are too early. Mostly I find them really good til something goes wrong, and then they’re just like the rest

4 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

As far as I’m aware Thailand uses THB, Malaysia uses MR Indonesia uses IRP, most of Europe use the €....... so forgive me for disagreeing 

Internationally the flights are priced in USD, probably as a result of the fuel being priced in USD, and converted locally if possible.

Last year we went to Cambodia and the flights were booked separately as outbound and inbound. The outbound was paid in THB but the inbound was paid in USD. Cambodia is not an IMF Art 8 currency.

1 hour ago, duanebigsby said:

There is only one $$$$, all others are cheap imitations, and nobody uses them for international pricing.

I just fired in a few dates for early next month, flying Bangkok to Vientiane, Laos and also to Phnom Penh, Cambodia.  Was curious to see what sort of fares were on offer.  Less than 4,000 baht return to either destination all in.  That seems ok to me.  I don't doubt what the OP says about AirAsia being pricier than it used to be, but these fares still seem fine to me.

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There is only one $$$$, all others are cheap imitations, and nobody uses them for international pricing.

No, there are lots of countries using dollars, the name isn’t copyrighted, but yes prices are based on USD.  However most airlines quote and charge in their local currency so the USD. rate is irrelevant 

14 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Air Asia used to give good prices, but now they are just trying to fleece people the same as the major airlines. 

It is ALWAYS worth a few bucks more for good service, free luggage and a bite to eat on the flight.

If they flew to Swampy or Utapao, I might consider using them again, but then again, probably not.

They just are not a discount airline anymore. Prices for flights are all over the place and I agree, not the cheapest anymore by a long way.

They need to sharpen up as many I know won't use them anymore.

airasia fly into U t'apao have done so for long time !!!

Archived