why AirAsia is so expensive nowadays?

chado

55 minutes ago, smotherb said:

And, ain't it amazing how one of those dollars has all denominations of bills the same size and color?

Makes it a lot easier for counterfeiters. Try counterfeiting the Aussie dollar, and see how that works out.

Lee Child in one of the Jack Reacher novels had the plot of forgers bleaching USD 1 bills, and printing USD 100 on them.

Air Asia bait with the base price, then gouge with the addons such as luggage and meals. Even charge for the credit card transaction online.  Their so-called hot seating is unadulterated BS. It's like comparing the packing of sardines and anchovies.

They are particularly unethical when it comes to needing to change a flight - even months ahead. I've been stung twice that way. They know complaints to consumer authorities won't fly.

They are no longer competitive on the flights to Australia. Jetstar does better.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Makes it a lot easier for counterfeiters. Try counterfeiting the Aussie dollar, and see how that works out.

Lee Child in one of the Jack Reacher novels had the plot of forgers bleaching USD 1 bills, and printing USD 100 on them.

Yeah, I think you are talking about Killing Floor. In the 2000s, two enterprising brothers started bleaching $1 and $5 bills and printed $100 bills on the paper. They purchased goods and returned them for cash to launder the money. They were caught a few years later, but something like $4M in the bills was recovered, so how many more did they make?

Simply because Tony Fernandez is a sucker for money. He sold Malaysians out in the last General Elections for his own benefits. I'm totally disgusted with a person that supports a kleptocratic Prime Minister and I have stopped flying on AirAsia. This man has no soul and shame in him.

Pretty sure all airlines charge you in the currency of your departure. Country then if you pay with a debit or credit card based on another currency, it is then converted in to that currency plus commission. EG: Thai Airways departing Paris the flight price is quoted in €. Departing from Suvarnabhumi, in baht. Same with Etihad.

6 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Always the biggest dollar  US$. You can change the currency on the booking page

If you change currency on the booking page you get ripped off. I calculated it. When you first sign in you can choose baht. Much mo betta.

16 minutes ago, elgenon said:

If you change currency on the booking page you get ripped off. I calculated it. When you first sign in you can choose baht. Much mo betta.

Not for a fact. It's difficult to calcualte all that with all the conversions. Say, your flight HK - BKK. You choose AUS $ to pay with on the booking page. Or even HK $ or Baht - for the sake of simplicity. 

the airline may be HK AirAsia -- and the original currency of the airline then should be in HK $.

Or it may be Malaysian AA -- the original currency then will be MYR.

And say your bank card has Euro.

How do you determine the base price? In which currency?

How many conversions will there be? Around 3-4. Try to check if you're going to be ripped off.

the bottom line -- even if you lose something on conversions, it's not much -- I've checked.

6 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

I wasn't referring to an airline's website. I was referring to posters on TV using dollars and assuming we all know the value.

79 is  less than 92

Whether they're using usd or some other $

Yes. Best to pay in the countries currency as they offer you.
Also at any credit card payment, NEVER choose the conversion to your home currency.
Your credit card company will convert it anyway somehow on your payment bill.

Depends where you are going from and where to, plus on what date.

I fly regularly Buriram to Don Meuang and back. Apart from days when there is football or motor racing in Buriram, or of course long holidays, I find their prices amazingly cheap. Usually beat Nok on the same route

4 hours ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, I think you are talking about Killing Floor. In the 2000s, two enterprising brothers started bleaching $1 and $5 bills and printed $100 bills on the paper. They purchased goods and returned them for cash to launder the money. They were caught a few years later, but something like $4M in the bills was recovered, so how many more did they make?

Yes, it was the Killing Floor. Speaking of counterfeit, I don't care how good Tom Cruise is at martial arts - he just isn't convincing playing Jack Reacher.

No-one knows how many fake US dollar notes are in the world - apparently they range in quality from very poor to almost as good as the genuine article. If Trump irritates the Chinese too much, I wouldn't be surprised if they started churning out forgeries. That's why every government wants to move to cashless. In Australia, cash is now the exception - even then, it's only transactions less than $10 in almost every store.

4 hours ago, Charz said:

Simply because Tony Fernandez is a sucker for money. He sold Malaysians out in the last General Elections for his own benefits. I'm totally disgusted with a person that supports a kleptocratic Prime Minister and I have stopped flying on AirAsia. This man has no soul and shame in him.

You're going to find it very difficult nowadays to find any CEO who is not a sucker for money. Not many around who take pride in building a business - short-termism rules.

4 hours ago, CLW said:

Yes. Best to pay in the countries currency as they offer you.
Also at any credit card payment, NEVER choose the conversion to your home currency.
Your credit card company will convert it anyway somehow on your payment bill.

Also i think you get hit up by your bank for overseas transfer 

IE: If I book a Thai flight I have to pay it into Thai's home account ( Thailand )

Also i think you get hit up by your bank for overseas transfer 

IE: If I book a Thai flight I have to pay it into Thai's home account ( Thailand )

For my bank it's 1.75%.

Not sure what you mean with your second sentence but I noticed that you only can use counter payment or bank transfer if your flight is operated by Thai Air Asia and origin of departure is Thailand

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Yes, it was the Killing Floor. Speaking of counterfeit, I don't care how good Tom Cruise is at martial arts - he just isn't convincing playing Jack Reacher.

No-one knows how many fake US dollar notes are in the world - apparently they range in quality from very poor to almost as good as the genuine article. If Trump irritates the Chinese too much, I wouldn't be surprised if they started churning out forgeries. That's why every government wants to move to cashless. In Australia, cash is now the exception - even then, it's only transactions less than $10 in almost every store.

Yes, US currency is heavily counterfeited, but so are other hard currencies, e.g., GBP and  Euro. Even the RMB is widely counterfeited. The more use, the more potential. In fact, the pound coin was the most commonly counterfeited cash, until the new coin was put into circulation. 

Not sure counterfeiting--or any other financial crime--is the main reason governments want a cashlesss society; more like big brother and big business wanting to know where and how much you spend so they can guide your purchases, tax everything and charge negative interest rates to keep you in line.

Plastic is used to buy chewing gum in the States; the merchants can set the minimum up to $10, but it seems merchants are lowering or even eliminating the minimum so people who have no, or carry no, cash can spend.

• 6 months later...
If you all looking for save cost way to book flight you can consider big point redeem flight can reduce air fare... so can save cost!!
I was looking to do so but then found out that for promo fares you won't receive any points.
Only advantage that I am using now is priority booking for members and a small discount that equals out the ridiculous credit card fee that they charge.

Archived