Tax obligations...

British national.

I work in the yachting industry, normally a 2/2 rotation but this can vary slightly.

Looking into tax obligations, after 20yrs of burying my head in the sand ?

What does everyone else do ? 

Technically, I could register a tax return in U.K and not need to pay any tax on the Seafarers Earning Deductions scheme.

But I'm not really a resident of the U.K !!

Never spend more than 180+ days in Thailand, so technically not a tax resident here either... 

Marine Tax in U.K said I could file a tax return but would need to file for the past 4 years, as that is as far back as the tax office can audit.. 

Confused.com

On 7/20/2018 at 6:15 AM, rwdrwdrwd said:

If you're not in Thailand over 183 days, not in the UK over 183 days, and not living anywhere else for over 183 days, then you're most likely a tax nomad - congratulations ?

http://www.taxnomad.com/what-is-a-tax-nomad/

I have been an "International Gypsy" for a little over 40 years; working in the oil patch made it so easy, I didn't really have to think about it. It is getting harder to do as various country's tax regimes replace their various calendar days rules with, "If you are living and breathing, you must pay taxes somewhere."

Well done to the OP for showing that being a true tax exile is still possible.

I have no tax obligations anywhere, Non-O in thailand, just get work permits wherever i go, company takes care of local tax if need be.

If there's any sniff of having to pay tax somewhere i'll go elsewhere......or stay at home!

• 4 weeks later...

Where are you resident, this determines if you even register for tax

If your not resident in the UK, your not liable,

If your resident in Thailand but less than 180 days pa your not liable in Thailand either..

It is highly possible your not resident for tax anywhere ? 

• 10 months later...

As others do I pay in country tax (10%) where I work, am British but dont reside there, PR in Australia but dont reside there, on retirement visa in Thailand but dont spend 180 days a year there when I'm on contract. Salary paid into a Thai bank and no tax obligations except afore mentioned in country tax, which I pay as I go. If the rules change in Thailand I will move elsewhere or retire. 

I just took a year off and hated not working.

No assets or income generated in UK or Australia, so no contact with either tax office.

Own my home and dont anticipate ever drawing a pension from either original countries. Self funded retirement when that time comes and I dont register for any healthcare rights in Britain or Australia.

Archived