Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

idman

Another change for U.S. Citizens.

Recommended Posts

This is not a change of law by Thai immigration to make it harder on US citizen. It is your own government that require all the banks in the world to make sure that foreign citizen in their country is not of US citizen. I am from Europe and live in another Asian country and I have bank account. I had to sign documents that I am not US citizen and do not have to pay tax to the US government. Even in my own home country I had to sign document that I am not dual citizen of US. So it is US government demanding all banks and now immigration to get a prof of your income. They want to make sure if you had paid your taxes to your government in USA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

I heard they are soon going to provide all foreigners with a bankers draft at the airport, you basically just enter the country at immigration desks as normal. Then you fill in the bank draft formafter clearing immigration, this signs over all of your bank cash to the Thai aurhorities. After fillingin that form you go through a gate marked "EXIT" This leads youinto the departure gate for your next available flight back home.

I heard there was going to be a mass round up and execution of all farangs on 1st of January.???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, missoura said:

From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

 

 A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.

 

I had always assumed that this money had to come from America. But there is no mention of this requirement. So deposits in a Thai bank made from within Thailand should be ok. If this right or am I way off base? I'm trying to save spending $50 bucks at the embassy.

11 years ago I met with a large law firm in Bangkok and the attorney told me that the 65K/month can be any source- i.e. retirement income or income from partnerships, investments, business interests outside of Thailand, etc. as long as it is at least 65K/month coming from outside of Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mrfaroukh said:

This is not a change of law by Thai immigration to make it harder on US citizen. It is your own government that require all the banks in the world to make sure that foreign citizen in their country is not of US citizen. I am from Europe and live in another Asian country and I have bank account. I had to sign documents that I am not US citizen and do not have to pay tax to the US government. Even in my own home country I had to sign document that I am not dual citizen of US. So it is US government demanding all banks and now immigration to get a prof of your income. They want to make sure if you had paid your taxes to your government in USA.

Your comment has absolutely no truth or relevance to the Thai immigration requirements to show proof of income.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is now a a requirement to show proof of a monthly income of 65K baht per month to support the US Embassy notarization of ones self declaration that one does receive a monthly income of at least 65K baht (as the alternative to keeping a deposit of 800K in a Thai bank for at least 3 months prior to applying for an extension of stay based on retirement) THEN what is the value or necessity of having that US Embassy notarized declaration ? Why not just be solely required to demonstrate that proof of the monthly income that Thai Imm may now be demanding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elektrified said:

This has been discussed on FB for a few days now. "Don't have the proof? Then come back when you do."

Sorry, which Facebook page/group is that?  I've tried a few CM Expat groups, US Consulate, Thaivisa CM, unable to find yet.  Pls advise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

If it is now a a requirement to show proof of a monthly income of 65K baht per month to support the US Embassy notarization of ones self declaration that one does receive a monthly income of at least 65K baht (as the alternative to keeping a deposit of 800K in a Thai bank for at least 3 months prior to applying for an extension of stay based on retirement) THEN what is the value or necessity of having that US Embassy notarized declaration ? Why not just be solely required to demonstrate that proof of the monthly income that Thai Imm may now be demanding?

At least so far, that is only a requirement (if that is the right word) at the IMM office in Chiang Mai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, elektrified said:

the attorney told me that the 65K/month can be any source- i.e. retirement income or income from partnerships, investments, business interests outside of Thailand, etc. as long as it is at least 65K/month coming from outside of Thailand.

That is also what I have been told but their website does not state that. Perhaps the official regulations state otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Non-O retirement visa based on affidavit pretending to have fake money was doomed sooner or later. Just a matter of time until the next "crackdown". 

It's not a Non-O retirement visa and the rest of your post is equally ill-informed.

 

3 hours ago, meechai said:

This was a long time coming....It was only a matter of time.

It was a given half the claims of income were BS

Another nonsense post. Neither you nor I could have any idea who cheats when applying for extensions of stay, including those who hire visa agents to fabricate mythical bank account balances.

 

Considering that the monthly income required for marriage and retirement extensions are about  $1250 and $2000 assuming that half the Americans in Thailand using those extensions couldn't muster that amount is laughable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

At least so far, that is only a requirement (if that is the right word) at the IMM office in Chiang Mai.

The question remains valid regardless. “Only a requirement “ that does not detail the specific elements necessary to meet the requirement or necessitates documents that don’t satisfy the requirement begs clarification. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at the 2 - 2557 current Police Orders (Regs and Docs) they both say that what is listed is "the criteria and conditions for consideration" of extension of stay. It nowhere states that there are any such criteria and conditions for consideration that, if provided, are necessary and sufficient and nothing else can be asked by the "competent" IMM official.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

If you look at the 2 - 2557 current Police Orders (Regs and Docs) they both say that what is listed is "the criteria and conditions for consideration" of extension of stay. It nowhere states that that there are any such criteria and conditions for consideration that, if provided, are necessary and sufficient and nothing else can be asked by the "competent" IMM official.

(Withdrawn)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As some say, "a long time coming". I always have a copy of my Social Security earnings statement with me- in case they ask. I just renewed my one-year Extension of Stay at Chang Wattana in Bangkok, and they didn't look at anything but the U.S. embassy affidavit letter, the amount on which she converted to THB and wrote that in on my affidavit- that's all. Since many, if not most other nationalities are required to provide proof of their income or a sufficient amount in a bank account, it's not surprising that U.S. citizens might also be required to do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

As some say, "a long time coming". I always have a copy of my Social Security earnings statement with me- in case they ask. I just renewed my one-year Extension of Stay at Chang Wattana in Bangkok, and they didn't look at anything but the U.S. embassy affidavit letter, the amount on which she converted to THB and wrote that in on my affidavit- that's all. Since many, if not most other nationalities are required to provide proof of their income or a sufficient amount in a bank account, it's not surprising that U.S. citizens might also be required to do the same.

I think u missed some salient concerns. What that proof of income satisfactory to a Thai Imm officer in CM is not clear. That you had your SSA earnings statement with you in a Bangkok (and wasn’t asked for it nor asked for any proof) does not explain what would be required in CM. Historically the US Embassy notarization of ones income was sufficient for CM Imm. Now, proof of that income could be by many methods or just a few methods- it all depends WHAT CM IMM wants. Not what proof you or me believe to be adequate and might wish to submit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...