Fewer Posts on ThaiVisa These Days?

mstevens

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, blackcab said:

If you see a post that you think contravenes forum rules, please use the report button. Moderators cannot be in every thread concurrently, so we appreciate people taking the time to help us make the forum a better place for everyone.

All moderators can view reported posts, and we do act on reported posts as a matter of priority.

I use the report button quite a bit, but I only read the odd thread, and I only report seriously offensive posts. The posting environment has changed a lot over the past 12 years since I've been here and steadily becoming more unfriendly. IMO post ratings (likes), which is a more recent addition, has negatively affected the posting environment. It's becoming a bit like FB and YouTube, where people are posting expressly to get as many likes as possible. No doubt this comment will get quite a few thumbs down from more recent members.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

I use the report button quite a bit, but I only read the odd thread, and I only report seriously offensive posts. 

What kinds of posts do you consider the be seriously offensive and need reporting?

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What kinds of posts do you consider the be seriously offensive and need reporting?

Ones that most normal people would consider offensive. They always get deleted, so the moderators agree.

Ones that most normal people would consider offensive. They always get deleted, so the moderators agree.

Yes, but I was asking you which kinds of posts do you consider to be seriously offensive ?

You didnt answer the question 

Yes, but I was asking you which kinds of posts do you consider to be seriously offensive ?

I actually think that it is doing okay..

From time to time I get whacked over the head by a mod.In every instance (upon reflection) I deserved it and have had to back off.

This forum does better than many others.

If you don't believe me please try the now defunct Amazon Classical Music forum where they slaughtered each other over,Bach,Beethoven,Bruckner and Brahms...and a host of others..

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

I actually think that it is doing okay..

From time to time I get whacked over the head by a mod.In every instance (upon reflection) I deserved it and have had to back off.

This forum does better than many others.

If you don't believe me please try the now defunct Amazon Classical Music forum where they slaughtered each other over,Bach,Beethoven,Bruckner and Brahms...and a host of others..

You want a good laugh, a mod elsewhere slagged off folk who live in Isaan....?

32 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The posts that I consider offensive are posts that the moderators consider offensive, and probably you and most other people too. Use your imagination.

11 minutes ago, tropo said:

The posts that I consider offensive are posts that the moderators consider offensive, and probably you and most other people too. Use your imagination.

Why cant you just state them ?

What is the problem ?

You're the problem. Give me a good reason why you need specifics.

Just out of curiosity .

I just cannot recall myself ever seeing a post on TV that I found to be so seriously offensive that I had to report it and I just wondered which kinds of posts that you found to be seriously offensive 

Just now, sanemax said:

Just out of curiosity .

I just cannot recall myself ever seeing a post on TV that I found to be so seriously offensive that I had to report it and I just wondered which kinds of posts that you found to be seriously offensive 

I find that very hard to believe... They might have been deleted before you had a chance to read them. Either that or you're very hard to offend.

Out of curiosity, how many members are on your ignore list?

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

I find that very hard to believe... They might have been deleted before you had a chance to read them. Either that or you're very hard to offend.

Out of curiosity, how many members are on your ignore list?

I do not have anyone on my ignore list , I didnt even know such a thing exists .

Maybe I am hard to offend and I just wondered what offends you .

I have asked you three times now to tell me what offends you and I just have to accept that you will not tell me what offends you .

I will just have to assume that you find posts that disagree with your opinion to be offensive and should be deleted .

Are you a liberal lefty perchance ? 

I do not have anyone on my ignore list , I didnt even know such a thing exists .

I have asked you three times now to tell me what offends you and I just have to accept that you will not tell me what offends you .

I will just have to assume that you find posts that disagree with your opinion to be offensive and should be deleted .

How about calling another poster an a'hole, a tw#t, or writing that someone is brainless and knows nothing, when their opinions clash? Loads of instances with nothing to do with being a SJW.  

Go back to my original post that enticed you to keep asking questions that I didn't think needed any further elaboration. I used "seriously offensive". I also mentioned that in all cases the moderators delete posts I report. They won't delete something just because you don't like it - they have to agree it's against forum rules. You have to give a reason why you're reporting a post, and they will assess it according to forum protocol.

Now you're trying to bring political persuasions into it. That's baiting. Not offensive, but annoying.

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

How about calling another poster an a'hole, a tw#t, or writing that someone is brainless and knows nothing, when their opinions clash? Loads of instances with nothing to do with being a SJW.  

Thanks for explaining the obvious to Sanemax. I really thought he was trolling as what's offensive is fairly obvious in most cases.

16 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Calling other people names isnt allowed .

If a poster is stating something incorrect its quite reasonable for another poster to inform him that he "knows nothing" and he should also state why he feels that way .

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Calling other people names isnt allowed .

If a poster is stating something incorrect its quite reasonable for another poster to inform him that he "knows nothing" and he should also state why he feels that way .

Interesting topic..

I think that people do rather well but also posters move on..

When I joined..there were numerous posters who screamed..

"If you don't like it here,go home,,,"

"If you can't speak Thai,Lao.Khmer or Hmong..go home..!"

"If you don't suffer from Stockholm Syndrome" go home..

"I have a very

special knowledge of the kingdom-go home"

They were all at about the 10-15,000 posts mark.

Almost a full time job.

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Interesting topic..

I think that people do rather well but also posters move on..

When I joined..there were numerous posters who screamed..

"If you don't like it here,go home,,,"

"If you can't speak Thai,Lao.Khmer or Hmong..go home..!"

"If you don't suffer from Stockholm Syndrome" go home..

"I have a very

special knowledge of the kingdom-go home"They were all at about the 10-15,000 posts mark.

Almost a full time job.

Although that is usually in reply to people who constantly moan and complain about everything in Thailand , they see everything negatively and always look for an angle to be critical .

Ands its a genuine question : If you hate Thailand so much, why stay ?

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although that is usually in reply to people who constantly moan and complain about everything in Thailand , they see everything negatively and always look for an angle to be critical .

Ands its a genuine question : If you hate Thailand so much, why stay ?

That is a good point...

However it was almost a mantra-and most of them are gone..thank the lord Harry.

They,in actual fact,contributed nothing to anything except to attack other posters.

The kingdom is endlessly fascinating..

DSCN2794.JPG

46 minutes ago, tropo said:

Go back to my original post that enticed you to keep asking questions that I didn't think needed any further elaboration. I used "seriously offensive". I also mentioned that in all cases the moderators delete posts I report. They won't delete something just because you don't like it - they have to agree it's against forum rules. You have to give a reason why you're reporting a post, and they will assess it according to forum protocol.

Now you're trying to bring political persuasions into it. That's baiting. Not offensive, but annoying.

I’m pretty sure they remove any post that gets reported regardless of whether it’s against forum rules or not. 

I wouldnt bank on them removing a post as validation that it was against the rules. 

And IMO it creates a situation where the inmates run the asylum. People get their feelings hurt and hammer the report button. 

On 7/11/2018 at 11:45 AM, ivor bigun said:

Could it be that its so easy to get banned on here.that some posters no longer bother?

For reference, the banning process works like this:

1. All spammers are banned as soon as they are discovered.

2. To be immediately banned you would have to post an unacceptable comment about the Monarchy; threaten serious harm or abuse against another member or moderator/admin or break the law in some other way.

3. For other breaches of the forum rules members can be given a formal warning. A member needs to accrue at least ten formal warnings to be even considered for banning. Warnings that are older than 2-3 years old do not count against the 10 warning limit. On rare occasions, if a member is receiving warning after warning in a short space of time then this limit may be reduced.

If a member reaches the warning limit then receiving a ban is not automatic. The moderating and admin team will discuss the member and their actions and a consensus is achieved to either ban or not ban the member.

4. More often than not a post will be removed and the member will not receive a warning. From time to time a moderator may remove a post and then contact a member by PM to discuss why this happened.

All warnings and bans are immediately visible to all other moderators and admin.

Finally, Support is a real person who, on the request of a member, can and will review the actions of any moderator or admin. Support has the authority to override any sanction that has been given.

5 minutes ago, blackcab said:

For reference, the banning process works like this:

1. All spammers are banned as soon as they are discovered.

2. To be immediately banned you would have to post an unacceptable comment about the Monarchy, or you would have to threaten serious harm or abuse against another member or moderator/admin.

3. For other breaches of the forum rules members can be given a formal warning. A member needs to accrue at least ten formal warnings to be even considered for banning. Warnings that are older than 2-3 years old do not count against the 10 warning limit.

At this point receiving a ban is not automatic. The moderating and admin team will discuss the member and their actions and a consensus is achieved to either ban or not ban the member.

4. More often than not a post will be removed and the member will not receive a warning. From time to time a moderator may remove a post and then contact a member by PM to discuss why this happened.

All warnings and bans are immediately visible to all other moderators and admin.

Finally, Support is a real person who, on the request of a member, can and will review the actions of any moderator or admin. Support has the authority to override any sanction  that has been given.

I think the person you addressed was talking about suspensions not banning. I know he said “banning” but I think he meant “suspension”. 

Its so easy to get a suspension that a lot of people don’t bother. 

And I share his same sentiment. 

7 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Anyway, forums are dying off.

Facebook, Twitter, Insta, Reddit, etc.. are taking over, and have been for a while. 

I maybe dying off but not from here......:intheclub:

On 7/19/2018 at 4:22 PM, transam said:

I most definitely ain't a PC geek, and l doubt my connection is TVF fixed....?

same here in the south but every so often I will get loading problems with bad service, while it may well be the TVF provider it also may just be an overly busy server.  I think in a lot of cases its the members own provider or just a combination of both

3 hours ago, tropo said:

I use the report button quite a bit, but I only read the odd thread, and I only report seriously offensive posts. The posting environment has changed a lot over the past 12 years since I've been here and steadily becoming more unfriendly. IMO post ratings (likes), which is a more recent addition, has negatively affected the posting environment. It's becoming a bit like FB and YouTube, where people are posting expressly to get as many likes as possible. No doubt this comment will get quite a few thumbs down from more recent members.

Also, sometime back I was prompted to ask (after observing the pattern of 'likes') if the 'Like' is for the post or the poster!

Not sure what y'all are whining about.

If there are fewer posts, don't complain, post more yourself.

If there's a topic you want to discuss that isn't here yet, start the freakin' topic yourself.

Sometimes I think some members don't even know how to do that. Pretty dumb, huh?

How about a poll on how many people here even know how to start a poll?

It's always better in the old days, grass is always greener. 

Nah, you're just older is all. 

Archived