Fewer Posts on ThaiVisa These Days?

mstevens

as some have said a lot of the negative/bashing everything posters are no longer in here, while there are a lot of faults here there are a lot of good things as well. Admittedly you have to be cautious with what you do say in your posts as it has changed a bit, I learnt this the hard way by simply speaking my mind and resting for  so many days, admittedly some of them were warranted but a few were definitely not as bad as others that got through. There are still those in here  that prefer to attack the poster rather than the subject at hand but there will always be these sorts around, some people just cant elevate themselves from the gutters. Basically I just come in here to see what is happening in the rest of the country as well as looking for particular advice or helping if I can, there are still lots of good posters that are there to help you rather than try to belittle you. Has changed a bit since the take over but that will probably sort itself out, other than that it isnt too bad still but that can always change plus the trolls that simply try to stir the pot on every post will never end either so if you want to be a member you just have to accept it and report any posts/members that are really abusive

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, seajae said:

as some have said a lot of the negative/bashing everything posters are no longer in here, while there are a lot of faults here there are a lot of good things as well. Admittedly you have to be cautious with what you do say in your posts as it has changed a bit, I learnt this the hard way by simply speaking my mind and resting for  so many days, admittedly some of them were warranted but a few were definitely not as bad as others that got through. There are still those in here  that prefer to attack the poster rather than the subject at hand but there will always be these sorts around, some people just cant elevate themselves from the gutters. Basically I just come in here to see what is happening in the rest of the country as well as looking for particular advice or helping if I can, there are still lots of good posters that are there to help you rather than try to belittle you. Has changed a bit since the take over but that will probably sort itself out, other than that it isnt too bad still but that can always change plus the trolls that simply try to stir the pot on every post will never end either so if you want to be a member you just have to accept it and report any posts/members that are really abusive

Yes.I like it.

It cannot be easy moderating this forum.

I posted this elsewhere but I still crack up laughing when I see this ad..

Finally, Support is a real person who, on the request of a member, can and will review the actions of any moderator or admin. Support has the authority to override any sanction  that has been given.

How do people contact this Support person?
Are they independent or they just discuss with the mods and agree?

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Calling other people names isnt allowed .

If a poster is stating something incorrect its quite reasonable for another poster to inform him that he "knows nothing" and he should also state why he feels that way .

That's the benefit of reporting posts. There's no debating with abusive members or trolls, and it saves being dragged into useless arguments and possibly getting your own warning, or suspension if tempers flare. You've only been at it for 2 years... you'll learn. I didn't have an ignore list for the first 8 years on here. I didn't report posts either in my early days on here.

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Although that is usually in reply to people who constantly moan and complain about everything in Thailand , they see everything negatively and always look for an angle to be critical .

Ands its a genuine question : If you hate Thailand so much, why stay ?

Here's a genuine answer to this frequent question. It's quite possible that an expat hates living in his own country too. For example, it could be something as simple as hating the weather where he comes from. There has to be a reason why they "expatted" in the first place. It could be pure economics because people have to live somewhere and don't always have the funds to spontaneously relocate elsewhere. It can take years before a person develops a negative view of Thailand. It's always exciting at first glance. There's no guarantee he'd like another place either. Sometimes you're better off with the devil you know.

3 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

I’m pretty sure they remove any post that gets reported regardless of whether it’s against forum rules or not. 

I'm pretty sure they don't. They don't remove posts just because someone doesn't agree with them or like them. The posts have to be contrary to forum rules.

3 hours ago, ravip said:

Also, sometime back I was prompted to ask (after observing the pattern of 'likes') if the 'Like' is for the post or the poster!

You will often see a member who doesn't like you like every negative reply to you, no matter how trivial it is.

I can't remember when exactly they introduced likes, but I went more than half my forum life on here without it.

3 hours ago, ravip said:

Also, sometime back I was prompted to ask (after observing the pattern of 'likes') if the 'Like' is for the post or the poster!

Apparently, some research has been done recently on the introduction of "likes" on Facebook. Due to the human psyche's need for validation, people have been fixated on gaining likes. This has resulted in an uptick in cyber bullying and depression caused by Facebook use.

Yet another irresponsible act by Zuckerberg. However, it has resulted in an uptick in the number of posts per person and more profit for Zuckerberg.

In the light of this, it would be a good idea for admin to do the decent thing and remove "likes" from this site. But, then again, maybe not.... 

8 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Anyway, forums are dying off.

Facebook, Twitter, Insta, Reddit, etc.. are taking over, and have been for a while

I do not share your opinion. 

I believe Facebook will die slowly when people realize how big security concerns there are , and all the criminal activities happening on social media that reveals your identity .  

Anonymous forums are rare these days and we should protect them for what it's worth .  Discussions are always good , but not many people are willing to discuss any topic using their real names. 

BTW I worked with IT security back in the 90's and already before Facebook happened many people were concerned about file transfers and personal information being shared. 

9 hours ago, blackcab said:

3. For other breaches of the forum rules members can be given a formal warning. A member needs to accrue at least ten formal warnings to be even considered for banning. Warnings that are older than 2-3 years old do not count against the 10 warning limit.

?

Hahaha. Glad I have no warning points yet i feel this one might very suspect indeed.

9 hours ago, tropo said:

I'm pretty sure they don't. They don't remove posts just because someone doesn't agree with them or like them. The posts have to be contrary to forum rules.

But they do literally just that, and its extremely infuriating, and the rules are structured so loosely and in such a way that anything can be considered "trolling" or "offensive" or "off topic" or whatever buzzword you want to apply. Its very off putting to type out a lengthly reply to someone and then come back later to see that it was "reported and removed" because someone is upset at words typed on the internet. Or even better, log in and see a nice warning banner and suspension hanging there because some posters (again, inmates running the asylum) get upset and hammer the report button on you because they dont want to see what you have to say. 

@blackcab

Can you please elaborate on the reporting and removing process? 

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

After removing another abusive post the open door for this topic has gotten much closer to being closed.

Much more and this sign for it will be put up. :mfr_closed1:

This topic has certainly run its course now since it is has gone so far off topic.

It is now :mfr_closed1:

2 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

But they do literally just that, and its extremely infuriating, and the rules are structured so loosely and in such a way that anything can be considered "trolling" or "offensive" or "off topic" or whatever buzzword you want to apply. Its very off putting to type out a lengthly reply to someone and then come back later to see that it was "reported and removed" because someone is upset at words typed on the internet. Or even better, log in and see a nice warning banner and suspension hanging there because some posters (again, inmates running the asylum) get upset and hammer the report button on you because they dont want to see what you have to say. 

@blackcab

Can you please elaborate on the reporting and removing process? 

Tropo has hit the nail on the head.

" I'm pretty sure they don't. They don't remove posts just because someone doesn't agree with them or like them. The posts have to be contrary to forum rules "

It's unfortunate that you have put your own interpretation on forum rules.

It is obvious when a member reports a post simply because they don't agree

with it.

The post will not be removed for that reason alone unless it does contain something that is against forum rules.

Archived