Giving directions, what is my error?

Hal65

It takes the moto taxis a bit to understand what I'm saying when I give directions home (my guesthouse's name is unknown to them). I live on Soi Buakao, 200 meters into the road from Pattaya Tai. Here are my usual lines:

"Bob's Guesthouse nai Soi Buakao. Jag wad thannon Pattaya Tai. Pai song roy met."

I'm trying to say the guesthouse is on Buakao, from the Tai intersection go 200 meters.

Thanks for any feedback

Some things to say in this order. One needs to know the roads which I don’t. 

Bai Soi bua kaw 

Wom pak tee baan bob 

Jag wad= from wat ? 

Say go beyond;leoy py wat tai song roy mate. 

I can’t put up with the damn spell checker if you are still and interested in Thai I can do a proper job.  

I also recommend to keep it simple.

How about this?

ไป ซอย บัวขาว

bpai soi bua kăao

(go to Soi Buakhao)

อยู่ ห่าง จาก ถนน พัทยา ใต้ 200 เมตร

yòo hàang jàak tà-nŏn pát-tá-yaa dtâi sŏng-rói máyt

(be/stay at 200 meters from Pattaya south rd.)

Wish there was a real good "speaker" on the net.

Google is too mechanical.

39 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

I've no idea what "wad" is supposed to mean? If you want to say from the Pattaya Tai intersection go 200m, just say "Jak thang yaek thannon Pattaya Tai khao soi 200m"

As I said one needs to know the place. An intersection will have a name eg. แยกหวังหิน this looks as though แยกไท would do. 

When you get in a taxi you say the soi or which should be enough. If not, some landmark on the way will do eg.  ไปแยกไท That reassures him that you know where you want to go and can say enough Thai. You never have to explain the whole journey before setting out, you point out turns and distances enroute.  

เลย place ไป distance. As I have already said. 

If you say จาก place ไป distance it will probably do. 

(ถึง)ซอยหน้าเลี้ยวซ้าย 

บ้านพัก บบ อยู่ด้านขวา 

ซ้ายมือ 

29 minutes ago, johng said:

Can't you ask "Bob"  for a Thai taxi readable map to his premisses ?

I think that the poster was interested in Thai 

8 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

some landmark on the way will do

Would help much to have a known name nearby like "marin place",  "action street" or whatever.

BTW I tried to find this "Bob's guesthouse on Soi Buakhao" on the net to no avail.

Searching around with street view does not help too.

From your "200 meters" it should be quite close to Marin Place?

Yes Marin is across the street from me. Action Street is about 50 meters too far so I'll be asking them to stop early if I use that as a landmark (but it's probably still better than what I say now)

2 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Yes Marin is across the street from me. Action Street is about 50 meters too far so I'll be asking them to stop early if I use that as a landmark (but it's probably still better than what I say now)

Since you don’t appear to accept my answers perhaps you use taxis in a different way. Are you negotiating a price for example?  If so then you just tell the driver the soi, he is interested only in how much you will pay not how far or how long it takes.  

Archived