Barclaycard stopping for all expats

Just received a letter from Barclaycard saying that unless i have an address in UK my Barclaycard will cease to function on 6 August 2018. Apart from the initial shock and inconvenience this is going to cause i'm wondering about my cards from Barclays Bank which i need to get  access to my pension from UK, are they now likely to be under threat if you live abroad ? Why would there be a difference between Barclay card and Barclays credit/debit cards ? Any useful information or advice welcome. It is a terrible time to have to consider moving your gb pounds anywhere

I had a number of Barclaycard CC accounts, the oldest for about 40 years then gained other CC accounts as Barclaycard took over smaller credit card companies (e.g. Egg / Platinum / Goldfish). Always had a UK correspondence address, usually my UK company despite not being resident in UK since late 70's. So never a problem.

Changed my contact address some 5/6 years back to Thailand and then received account closure notifications for all the CC accounts. I did raise a complaint but was told it was final but that I could reopen an account if I moved back to UK.

As for bank accounts. No idea if Barclays UK are placing a block on those having non UK addresses. However, unsurprisingly, my Barclays Jersey account remains OK with a Thai address. Similarly Nationwide UK have no problem with me continuing to have a bank / CC account with them.

As another poster has mentioned, Transferwise is a decent option. They offer 'borderless' bank accounts which are easy enough to open, even from Thailand. Also have card options. So you could look at this as a back stop in case Barclays Bank give you any grief. Always best to have further options anyway.

Barclays stopped my credit card in 2014 for having a foreign address.

They explained it was because of ring fencing, CRS and because there was no activity on the card by myself. 

I only had it to secure a car rentals abroad but always paid cash at the end of the rental so I did not mind when they took it away and now have a Thai credit card.

11 minutes ago, dabhand said:

As another poster has mentioned, Transferwise is a decent option.

Just opened a Transferwise account in 10 minutes.

Test payment 100 pounds gets me 4,326bht after fees (2gbp)

They say will arrive on Friday.

Very cheap and easy transfer.

I had my Barclaycard stopped three years when I notified them of a change of address. If you are over 70 years old it is not easy to find a new Credit Card.  Amex rescued me and were extremely helpful-yes, you have to pay 4000+ baht per year if you do not use the card a lot but the cost is well worth it. They also gave me the same credit limit as Barclaycard.

If you are not resident in the uk you should not have a uk credit card . Most of us have , however after a while with the collated information available to these companies now they realise you are no longer a uk resident and the card is cancelled.

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Use a money moving company like HiFX to transfer your money.

https://www.hifx.co.uk/

Or Transferwise

https://transferwise.com

Or why don't you have the UK pension paid directly to your Thai Bank account.... better rates....and on time....and no charges.... just call UK Pensions.. they will take all details over the phone. .

Sorry the link to reply to the first message does not work...so Iapologize to send the reply here...

I was also threatened by Barclaycard, about three or four years ago, that they would cancel my Visa card unless I gave them a UK address. I resigned myself to losing it and wasn't too bothered as my HSBC ATM card is also a visa debit card and I always pay the full amount every month anyway.

A few months after my card was supposed to have been cancelled I received a letter from them about rule changes or something like that, so I called them and said I thought the card had been cancelled so why the letter. They had no record of anything about the card being cancelled and I still have it to this day. I have since though given them my sister's address as she has moved back to the UK from Spain so I'm covered anyway.

They will not send new cards to Thailand though, but that has been the case for many years.

This happened to me about six years ago with Barclaycard. Like you, I was stunned and the consequences of their proposed action left me feeling very vulnerable and uneasy.

I wrote them a stinging, but politely forceful letter complaining that I had been a customer for many years, that I was living in Thailand and that it was vital for me to retain this Visacard service for Air fares, etc., and that to return to the UK to set up alternative banking arrangements was not only unthinkable, but impossible for me to undertake at that particular time. I sent the letter as a priority and I think it was inexpensive, 30-40฿ - ish.

Barclaycard were sympathetic in their response and assured me of their continued service, but I did have to provide an address in UK, plus my address in Thailand. I was fortunate in that my ex-wife was happy for me to use her addresss in UK for all banking requirements such as billing address, etc.

I have had no problems since, although I did return to UK about 4 years ago and confirmed I wasnt going to be unpleasantly surprised at a later date.

So far so good, no problems. However, I was fortunate that I had someone who was willing to help me out - my ex-wife. I know some  may not have that fall-back position. Perhaps a daughter, sister or mother's address is available?

But it worked for me. I hope this helps a little. Good luck!

58 minutes ago, hashmodha said:

Or why don't you have the UK pension paid directly to your Thai Bank account.... better rates....and on time....and no charges.... just call UK Pensions.. they will take all details over the phone. .

Sorry the link to reply to the first message does not work...so Iapologize to send the reply here...

But then they freeze your pension.

No charges Vs 5% less pension every year ..........

Transferwise set up a bank account in the UK for you. Have your pension sent there seems a better idea.

(I had to send them a photo of my passport ID page for the UK bank account)

5 hours ago, pattaya1234was said:

I had my Barclaycard stopped three years when I notified them of a change of address. If you are over 70 years old it is not easy to find a new Credit Card.  Amex rescued me and were extremely helpful-yes, you have to pay 4000+ baht per year if you do not use the card a lot but the cost is well worth it. They also gave me the same credit limit as Barclaycard.

Ditto.However, my bank accounts remain open partly because I have my mortgage with them.

I was wondering if you could share which Amex Division you used ? Chers.

6 hours ago, hashmodha said:

But if you are spending 6 months in Thailand and then return to the UK for 6 months it is too bothersome and do you think that the UK DWP are prepared to accommodate the arrangement ? 

Just to tell you all, set up a Transferwise account yesterday online at around 4pm.

Transferred 100gbp from my UK account just after (2gbp fee, 4,326bht for transfer)

Money is in my Bangkok bank account at 4:30pm today.

Fairly amazed at that.

A bit off-topic, but tried to link my Barclays Online Savings acct to BKK Bank NY a few months ago. Despite the process seemingly proceeding normally (had previously linked my Credit Union account with no problem) and the link showed  "Pending" in my acct screen...the small verification deposits never showed up at BKK Bank NY. Called Barclays and the rep said she saw the transaction and that it was pending, but had no idea why the verification deposits didn't happen. She said she would submit them again...and again I received an e-mail from Barclays saying that within 2-3 business days the small deposits would be made. Again it never happened. Called again and got the same response and offered to resubmit. I asked to speak to a supervisor, as this had already been attempted twice without success. Was told that none was available, but one would phone me back within 2 business days. I told the rep that was totally unacceptable, but OK since not other option. Never got a call (big surprise there), so I hit back with my dollars and transferred a very substantial amount out of Barclays to another online bank with a slightly higher interest rate. Don't expect the linking process to work there either, but made me feel better!

Things continue to get more difficult for expats. :bah:  

When I wanted to send money to pay for a new vehicle in a foreign currency abroad, I tried Barclays who quoted me such a terrible exchange rate that I would have lost over 10% on the deal compared to the midpoint exchange rate. I contacted Transferwise and set it up with them at the midpoint exchange rate less a few pounds. But then Transferwise told me that they never received the transfer in Pounds from Barclays. Barclays told me that I never sent the transfer!

The next time I took screen-shots of every part of the transfer, including the confirmation. Again, no transfer. Again, Barclays said that I never sent the transfer until I told them that I had evidence and if they did not let the next transfer through I would a) go to a solicitor, b) go to the media and c) raise the issue with the relevant banking authorities. Amazingly, the transfer went through immediately the third time! 

It truly amazes me that banks like Barclays are spending their time trying to rip off their customers with daylight robbery exchange rates and ATM fees while clever companies like Transferwise are coming in and cleaning up. When are they going to learn?

On 7/12/2018 at 9:39 AM, pi2005ni said:

If you are not resident in the uk you should not have a uk credit card . Most of us have , however after a while with the collated information available to these companies now they realise you are no longer a uk resident and the card is cancelled.

If that is correct then why do I have to pay UK income tax despite not living in the UK.

Fortunately I saw the light years ago and dumped all my UK cards after several dumped me.

I now have no UK credit or debit cards, no bank, credit card fees etc and pay no interest to them at all.

Accessing bank funds and retirement accounts for US expats can prove a nightmare for those without an actual US residence address. I still have such, but for a couple guys I know whom do not, as soon as they informed their financial institutions of their foreign addresses...Red Flags start flying. Threatened with account closure and/or heavy restrictions on trading within those accounts, such as 401-k and IRAs. Ridiculous BS. Also extremely intrusive rules required if over $10k in a foreign bank acct. Liberty is a word very loosely defined in the USA. :bah:

18 hours ago, Proboscis said:

When I wanted to send money to pay for a new vehicle in a foreign currency abroad, I tried Barclays who quoted me such a terrible exchange rate that I would have lost over 10% on the deal compared to the midpoint exchange rate. I contacted Transferwise and set it up with them at the midpoint exchange rate less a few pounds. But then Transferwise told me that they never received the transfer in Pounds from Barclays. Barclays told me that I never sent the transfer!

The next time I took screen-shots of every part of the transfer, including the confirmation. Again, no transfer. Again, Barclays said that I never sent the transfer until I told them that I had evidence and if they did not let the next transfer through I would a) go to a solicitor, b) go to the media and c) raise the issue with the relevant banking authorities. Amazingly, the transfer went through immediately the third time! 

It truly amazes me that banks like Barclays are spending their time trying to rip off their customers with daylight robbery exchange rates and ATM fees while clever companies like Transferwise are coming in and cleaning up. When are they going to learn?

You could not make that story up , unbelievable . Are you staying with Barclays ? I am with them and have been for a number of years . They have a small branch near to my home in the UK so convenient . 

On 7/12/2018 at 11:09 AM, BritManToo said:

But then they freeze your pension.

No charges Vs 5% less pension every year ..........

Transferwise set up a bank account in the UK for you. Have your pension sent there seems a better idea.

(I had to send them a photo of my passport ID page for the UK bank account) 

3 minutes ago, Saraphee said:

2 minutes ago, Saraphee said:

When transferwise set up a MasterCard or Visa credit card I'll certainly do that, I find their service excellent.

It doesn't matter where your bank account is located. You have to supply your residential address to HM Pensions, and if that is overseas then you are not eligible for the inflation increases. Give a false UK address and that is an offence and therefore risky. The fact that there is less than zero justification for not treating all pensioners the same (ie you are not a drain on UK resources) that's the way it is. The Daily Telegraph campaigned against that a few years ago but seem to have given up the fight.

19 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Transferwise appears to be a subsidiary of Barclays Bank.

Archived