Barclaycard stopping for all expats

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Senior moment!

LOL !  ?

(You are not alone......)

Investors

TransferWise is backed by a fantastic team of smart investors who believe that there’s a dire need for innovation in financial services. In addition to the great institutional investors below, we’re supported by private individuals who founded or are building Virgin, PayPal, Skype, Betfair, Simple.com and others.

18 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

I just looked and they charge 1% transfer fee. That's a lot more than my Citibank charges me.

You need to look at the overall result based on the amount and currency you are transferring.

Although fees are relatively high TransferWise tend to give a better exchange rate so you need to look at the total calculation including the 200-500 Thai bank receiving charge where the Thai bank does the exchange.

If you are transferring larger amounts then a bank may yet be a better bet. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, topt said:

If you are transferring larger amounts then a bank may yet be a better bet. 

Agreed, anything over 3500USD transfer for me would be cheaper just using the bank so not worth the effort of TransferWise for me. Guess they got to make money somehow, but users need to check thro the hype first. My banks (US and Thai) use fixed transfer fees, not percentages so I know what I am getting charged. Fx rates nothing exorbitant if transferring USD into Thailand.

Would they know if you've signed up with private post box/mail forwarder in the UK? some let you use suite/apt no: at their address, might need to fly back to set it up though, are there any ramification tax wise if the bank considers you to be UK resident

• 2 weeks later...

'The full list of supported countries is now as follows: UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, BFPO), Australia, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Spain, and Jersey, the Isle of Man, Guernsey, Bermuda, Cayman Islands and Falklands Islands.'

And most of those are not countries in the usual sense. So Barclaycard will effectively only be available in five countries worldwide. So much for a global company.

'Expats cannot simply change the address to a family member or friend in the UK.'

I guess that adds me to the list of customers they no longer want, although I've heard nothing. But how would they know where we really live? Are they asking for utility etc bills - which anyway could well be paid by others?

Closing Barclaycard accounts with a largish o/s balance (e.g. balance transfers) might be problematic. Would they allow time to pay off the balance or demand settlement within 30/60 days as some T&C's might indicate.

If no remaining UK links I would say that a cheesed off customer might just give Barclaycard two fingers and let them whistle for their money!!

11 hours ago, dabhand said:

Closing Barclaycard accounts with a largish o/s balance (e.g. balance transfers) might be problematic. Would they allow time to pay off the balance or demand settlement within 30/60 days as some T&C's might indicate.

If no remaining UK links I would say that a cheesed off customer might just give Barclaycard two fingers and let them whistle for their money!!

Food for thought ?  my naughty side was getting ideas . Been done before I bet . I not sure but something tells me that if someone does a runner from the UK leaving unpaid debts it is not a criminal offence but a civil offence and after 6 years the offender can return to the UK with the slate wiped clean . ( Someone will put me right )  . 

12 hours ago, dabhand said:

Would they allow time to pay off the balance or demand settlement within 30/60 days as some T&C's might indicate.

The mail I received said I could continue to pay minimum should I wish, but the full balance would become due if one payment was missed.

I paid off the entire 50 Squid due and cut up the card.

I've just remembered about something I wrote on another, similar, thread. About three or four years ago I received a similar threat to close the account if I didn't provide a UK address. I resigned myself to losing the card, but have an HSBC ATM/debit card linked to Visa and always pay off what I've spent straight away so it didn't really bother me.

Two or three months after my account was supposed to have been cancelled I received a letter about some rule changes or something like that, so I called them and asked why as I'd been told my account was going to be closed. They found no trace of that and the account remains valid to this day. I have since given them my sister's UK address as she has now moved back there from Spain.

Bottom line is, they may cancel the account. Or they may not.

Archived