VIDEO: Dramatic new footage of Tham Luang cave rescue released

Jonathan Fairfield

Dramatic new footage of Tham Luang cave rescue released

New footage has been released of the mission to rescue twelve boys and their football coach from the Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai.

The footage shows the boys on stretchers being brought out of the cave system.

The BBC reports the boys were heavily sedated to the point they were they were almost sleeping in order to avoid them panicking in the dark and confinements of the cave.

Citing a former SEAL diver with the Thai Navy, the BBC reported that some of the boys were asleep, while others were "groggy".

Further footage released by the Thai Navy SEAL to Thai media also reveals the daring rescue mission.

Earlier the Guardian reported how the water pumps used to drain water from the cave failed just moments after the last boy was evacuated. 

“The screams started coming because the main pumps failed and the water started rising,” one of the divers said. 

“All these headlights start coming over the hill and the water was coming ... It was noticeably rising.”

The remaining 100 workers still in the cave then rushed for the exit as the water was noticeably rising. 

On Wednesday morning, Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong, an inspector for Thailand's health department, told reporters that the boys had on average lost around 2kg, but were otherwise in good health. Three of the were said to be suffering from minor lung infections.

Later on Wednesday, officials released the first footage of the boys in hospital, which you can watch here.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-11

https://www.rt.com/sport/432534-thailand-football-team-jose-mourinho/

Jose Mourinho broke away from discussing the France-Belgium match as an expert for RT to express his appreciation of those who saved 12 Thai boys and their football coach after seventeen days in a cave.

“I am amazed about what has happened in Thailand. The heroes are there, and not at the World Cup. The kids and especially the divers and those involved in the rescue. For me the World Cup comes second,” the Portuguese coach said during a live broadcast in Manchester.

I hope we all put this whole Cave story behind us and forge forward.I know many are trying to capitalise on this story to make money such as films etc etc...let's see something positive and happy to look forward to ?or shall we talk t&n??TRUMP& NATO?

Was wondering how these little guys didn't panic, no diving experience, no swimming experience.

Well done to the Australian anesthetist and everyone else, job well done, with the exception of the loss of the retired Thai Navy Seals passing, RIP 

Well I guess that settles the debate we had in another thread about whether to sedate them. I was not correct, I thought they'd just give them some kind of light "chill pill" that left them conscious and able to act on their own rather than knock them out completely, but those who said any kind of sedation was a really bad idea were obviously the farthest off base. In retrospect, the SEALs are big strong guys and it was probably a lot easier and safer for them to drag along an unresponsive teenager on a plastic sheet stretcher than to deal with a panic under water. Biggest concern might have been making sure their face mask stayed water-tight and didn't get knocked off accidentally.

I wonder if the symptoms experienced by one boy (described as low pulse and irregular heart rhythm) were the result of the anesthesiologist misjudging the dose a bit. He had a tough guess to make, because normally patients are well fed and their exact weight is checked prior to sedation. I'm not a doctor and I don't know how much difference knowing the exact weight makes, but they always are very careful to find out for a hospital operation. In this case he probably had to ask the boys how much they weighed, which wouldn't have been a recent measurement, and then guess how much weight they lost due to starvation.

He seems to have done an excellent job under the circumstances. He should write a medical paper on the topic to pass along his knowledge and experience. I'm really glad we didn't end up with a live but brain-damaged rescuee. That was my biggest worry, that they'd get them out but drown them in the process.

Most awaited video : How Mu Pa footballers were rescued

e4a0a5064b99f85762203767a1d5fa2b.jpeg

The Thai Navy SEAL Facebook page on Wednesday released a video clip that shows for the first time how the 13 Mu Pa Academy football team members were evacuated from the Tham Luang cave.

The 12 young footballers and their 25-year-old assistant coach were trapped in the cave since June 23 after flash floods blocked their exit.

They were rescued after a marathon operation involving Thai and foreign experts. The mission ended on June 10.

The video showed the boys being extracted from inside the flooded cave amid darkness in what was described as the first time such a method was used in a rescue operation.

The footage gave an insight into a complex operation that had numerous divers using pulleys, ropes and rubber piping to take the stranded footballers to safety.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349885

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-12

The trapped lads all survived the ordeal, and the end certainly satisfied the means (sedated or not).

World class ingenuity at play, can only be applauded.

Just hoping that prevention rather than cure is the motto for future.

I guess it worked, but I would never have agreed to such a level of sedation.  Breathing is hard enough with a face mask on, never mind with reduced awareness and lung function.  Moving on.

When are we going to get the details of how often the kids and the coach went in to that cave?  they went so far in, it is almost incomprehensible the passages they navigated or crawled through.  The American TV showed a one hour documentary last night that was not too sensationalistic, but it did say the coach had taken the kids in there before.

What the heck sort of "team building" was this supposed to be?  Was this the Thai version of the American "Snipe hunt"?  Some strange ritual?  I mean, the TV show showed the bikes and shoes and shin pads all right there in front of the cave, so the kids did go in barefoot.   Almost unbelievable

21 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I guess it worked, but I would never have agreed to such a level of sedation.  Breathing is hard enough with a face mask on, never mind with reduced awareness and lung function.  Moving on.

When are we going to get the details of how often the kids and the coach went in to that cave?  they went so far in, it is almost incomprehensible the passages they navigated or crawled through.  The American TV showed a one hour documentary last night that was not too sensationalistic, but it did say the coach had taken the kids in there before.

What the heck sort of "team building" was this supposed to be?  Was this the Thai version of the American "Snipe hunt"?  Some strange ritual?  I mean, the TV show showed the bikes and shoes and shin pads all right there in front of the cave, so the kids did go in barefoot.   Almost unbelievable

I read one article that claimed to have interviewed another boy on the team who did not go that day, he said he had been in there further than they were when they were trapped. It sounded like he knew the place where they were. I took that to indicate that he had been in the cave a few times at least, but it didn't say that explicitly.

Australian doctor-diver praises Wild Boars boys

By Thai PBS

2018-07-12_6-25-49.png

The Australian doctor who was the last man out of Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai has praised the 12 young footballers whose ordeal sparked the rescue, according to ABC News.

Adelaide anaesthetist Dr Richard Harris is mourning the death of his father, after being informed of his death shortly after the daring rescue mission wrapped up. Dr Harris was the man tasked with giving the medical all-clear for each evacuation, and decided what order the boys would leave the cave in.

He was part of a team of 20 Australians involved in the Thai-led rescue effort, and has been described as an integral part of the rescue. But ABC News reported that speaking to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull via FaceTime,  Dr Harris said the “big heroes” were the 12 children themselves, and the Thai Navy SEAL divers who looked after them in the cave.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/australian-doctor-diver-praises-wild-boars-boys/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-12

saw the video. I think the strategy they used was perfect. When I read some posts from before the rescue happened, being  against drugging the boys I did not agree.

As somebody mentioned above - much easier for the rescue team to carry a plastic strecher with a calm person than have to take care when they move on their own. Probably the boys were not totally unconscious but more in a dreaming state, still breathing spontaniously.

When you get operated you want do be sedated, unconsious, drugged. Otherwise you would suffer a lot or the operation would be impossible. Easer for the patient easier for the operator. When you wake up - everything good.

The rescue mission was kind of operation. 

And now I understand them better using the ambulances, blocking the view and the immediate transport to the hospital.

What a pity for the press, they couldn't interview the boys at the exit. I know they would have loved to.

I'm glad the boys and the coach came out alive. On another forum I was reading such a crap about the whole action, that it looked that the writer was nearly talking about a big hoax. Shame on him!

That they went there before, I can believe and also that they crawled through narrow spaces in order to get somewhere exciting I do believe as well and under normal circumstances it would be something nobody would have said anything about it. It was irrisponsible, but nevertheless explainable. They had the bad luck that the coach chose the wrong time to do this and they got trapped due to the rising floods. This is bad enough and I think that they won't do it again and I think also that the coach is punished enough. After all he too faced a certain death, were they not found.

That Hollywood is interested in making a movie about the whole operation is no more then logical. I thought this from the beginning (with hopes of a positive outcome) and now they are safe, I certainly would think that life gives the best script for an exiting movie. But I would like to see that part of the profits of this movie will go to the family of the ex-navy seal and to organisations that help rescuing people. That would be a positive outcome from this adventure. An operation like this costs a lot of money. A movie about it could cover at least part of the expense and help in other cases.

Also I don't understand those who complain that the media were giving more attention to the rescue of 13 people trapped alive then the 40 people which died at sea near Phuket or in the storms in Japan. I think it is logical that we need to give more attention to the living ones then wasting energy on the dead ones. They won't be brought back alive. I don't say they don't matter, but those kids mattered more.

Elon Musk, Tesla CEO, was not so far away to find the solution for the rescue, if its "submarine" was made with a flexible material and with not fixed air tanks. The Aussie Diver Doctor was fundamental part of the operation, and probably the one who planned the extraction system with the team. Great job! 

9 hours ago, jerry921 said:

Well I guess that settles the debate we had in another thread about whether to sedate them. I was not correct, I thought they'd just give them some kind of light "chill pill" that left them conscious and able to act on their own rather than knock them out completely, but those who said any kind of sedation was a really bad idea were obviously the farthest off base. In retrospect, the SEALs are big strong guys and it was probably a lot easier and safer for them to drag along an unresponsive teenager on a plastic sheet stretcher than to deal with a panic under water. Biggest concern might have been making sure their face mask stayed water-tight and didn't get knocked off accidentally.

I wonder if the symptoms experienced by one boy (described as low pulse and irregular heart rhythm) were the result of the anesthesiologist misjudging the dose a bit. He had a tough guess to make, because normally patients are well fed and their exact weight is checked prior to sedation. I'm not a doctor and I don't know how much difference knowing the exact weight makes, but they always are very careful to find out for a hospital operation. In this case he probably had to ask the boys how much they weighed, which wouldn't have been a recent measurement, and then guess how much weight they lost due to starvation.

He seems to have done an excellent job under the circumstances. He should write a medical paper on the topic to pass along his knowledge and experience. I'm really glad we didn't end up with a live but brain-damaged rescuee. That was my biggest worry, that they'd get them out but drown them in the process.

They transported in supplies, equipment, tanks and god knows what else.

Why would you assume a scale was out of the question?

11 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I hope we all put this whole Cave story behind us and forge forward.I know many are trying to capitalise on this story to make money such as films etc etc...let's see something positive and happy to look forward to ?or shall we talk t&n??TRUMP& NATO?

Yes like not employing teachers that take 12 year old kids into these conditions 

57 minutes ago, dougiemac57 said:

Yes like not employing teachers that take 12 year old kids into these conditions 

He wasn't employed and he wasn't their teacher, a volunteer football coach.

1 hour ago, Muzarella said:

Elon Musk, Tesla CEO, was not so far away to find the solution for the rescue, if its "submarine" was made with a flexible material and with not fixed air tanks. The Aussie Diver Doctor was fundamental part of the operation, and probably the one who planned the extraction system with the team. Great job! 

Military and mountain rescue teams move casualties in similar fashion but with bottles (cylinders!) between the patients legs. I'm not yet clear how the BA was administered or monitored during this operation but this rescue is on par in its daring with Apollo 13 or the Aussies rescuing Tony Bullimore some 20 years ago !?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bullimore

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

saw the video. I think the strategy they used was perfect. When I read some posts from before the rescue happened, being  against drugging the boys I did not agree.

As somebody mentioned above - much easier for the rescue team to carry a plastic strecher with a calm person than have to take care when they move on their own. Probably the boys were not totally unconscious but more in a dreaming state, still breathing spontaniously.

When you get operated you want do be sedated, unconsious, drugged. Otherwise you would suffer a lot or the operation would be impossible. Easer for the patient easier for the operator. When you wake up - everything good.

The rescue mission was kind of operation. 

And now I understand them better using the ambulances, blocking the view and the immediate transport to the hospital.

What a pity for the press, they couldn't interview the boys at the exit. I know they would have loved to.

"What a pity for the press, they couldn't interview the boys at the exit. I know they would have loved to."

Perhaps true, but even if the boys and coach were fully conscious immediately they exited the cave could you trust the press (Thai and foreign) to ask simple questions which didn't cause any stress etc?

My answer is NO they couldn't be trusted and many would deliberately ask sensational ask questions to try for a big headline. Plus many of the reporters would without any doubt deliberately ask leading questions, again looking for a sensational quick sound bite, and sound bites are often proven to be way less than accurate.  

In fact I'm hoping that all reporters are kept well away from the team, coach and their families forever. Little doubt there would be questions from lame-brain / asshoxx reporters like: 'were you frightened?', 'did you think you were going to die?', 'how many ghosts did you see?' and more.

My Thai adult son mentioned this morning he flipped across several live Thai news programs last night, this is a day after the rescue was completed, but he was shocked at the major unforgivable inaccuracies the presenters were sprouting, amazed at the obvious errors in their graphics and amazed at the number of presenters who have suddenly become experts but in reality saying many things that were just wrong.  

57 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

He wasn't employed and he wasn't their teacher, a volunteer football coach.

@dougiemac57

Plus the real senior coach actually planned the trip and the parents all knew about the trip in advance. Plus nobody knows at this stage whether the coach was at the cave entrance when the boys started to go in or did the boys / some of the boys arrive before the coach and just went in. 

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Was wondering how these little guys didn't panic, no diving experience, no swimming experience.

Well done to the Australian anesthetist and everyone else, job well done, with the exception of the loss of the retired Thai Navy Seals passing, RIP 

..thank goodness there will be no re-enactment of this event.

What I don't get is what did they use for lights?  I saw on TV they left their bicycles and football shoes and shin guards right outside the cave, so it was pretty obvious where they went.  And as stories emerge some or all of them had been in that cave before.  Flashlights?  Candles?  Sadly, I am starting to have misgivings about that soccer coach and the degree of isolation he seemed to often take the boys to. 

2 hours ago, dougiemac57 said:

What are you talking about? There was no floods when they entered the cave. They entered in June, the sign says no entry after July. 

12 hours ago, jerry921 said:

Yes. I was one of those who believed that the boys would only have been lightly sedated - so I must confess that I got that completely wrong. I must say that I am very surprised to see that in fact the boys were basically rendered unconscious (or close to it). This is what one of the divers said yesterday  - and I was sceptical at the time. So I apologise for that. There were, however, conflicting reports on this matter - so it is not surprising that none of us knew precisely what really took place.

Anyway, the mission was highly risky but a great, great success - and I can only admire everyone who made this stunning rescue possible. Highest credit to everyone.

WOW !  What an operation !  …  Bloody Amazing !

All along being a cave explorer myself, for many years and having done many things in many differing caves, including teaching teenagers how to do it, I always was confident that they would all get out,…  If they were found in time !  And they were.  …  Though, Just, by the sound of it.  Like what a bloody Huge and difficult cave !!!  ….

But WOW ! …  Looking at this and the size of the operation, including climbing, where they had the flying fox rigged up !  Varrrr, what an operation !  And yes a Really tough cave !  …  So well it probably was not an, as easy and inevitable outcome, as I originally thought, it WAS a pretty magnificent feat, in very difficult circumstances, by a group of obviously very good men. 

…  ( I wonder if there were any women in there, ?  They do cave also, (Like why would I have done it for 30 years otherwise)  and climb, and being smaller, they make VERY good Cavers !)

…  And these guys all looking to be very good at what they did, so I imagine that they also had pretty good Egos !  …  So WOW, … what a Great feat of organization to keep them all working together, and things really happening well, quite obviously !

I wonder how many that were involved in the whole project ? …  Must be getting up to the thousand or thousands  + status I would say ?  And how many of them were working in the cave !  …  Like looks like over a hundred Easy !
What a brilliant job fellas !  Add the water Pumpers and pipe installers also …

Well at the risk of being Trolled,  I would like to think that the Thais are actually very good at this sort of stuff, … a but Politically anarchistic, but VERY socially coherent society ! …  Like they can mount and operation like this, where everyone mucks in, does what they should be doing, and also what they are told to !  …  ...  Like when you see the whole village down at the local Sala, at the Watt, about 20 woman and a few guys, ... cooking enough food for Hundreds !  ... Like great pots of Green curry or lemon and duck soup, at about 30 or 40 Liters at a time !!!  

Like I bet the local woman were doing this also, just outside the cave !  Using a boat ore to stir it !  And only the best cooker gets to make it, ... so well it ALWAYS is good from my experiences !

No Paralyzed in PC Dogma, Nanny Society here.

...And in the next article here, with the picture of the in Hospital, ..Like 12 REALLY happy boys there for sure !!! ... And I do hope that some of them do become Cave divers, and keep up the Profession with some new Blood also.

Interesting info at 3:09 in the Thai Navy Seal video in the OP, where they film the marker board giving the breakdown of the number of divers and support staff from each country taking part in the cave rescue.

14 minutes ago, katana said:

Interesting info at 3:09 in the Thai Navy Seal video in the OP, where they film the marker board giving the breakdown of the number of divers and support staff from each country taking part in the cave rescue.

Yes Very Good ! And plenty of Americans on there also ! ...  Which is Good, and Good to see also given some of the comments, .... But I bet that very few of them liked Trump, or his as usual arrogant America Mindlessness  tweet.  ... Now left behind and well in the past thank goodness. ... (The Dividers of the woulds rising ! ? ...)

We have watched this super human endeavour unfold over the last few weeks, like the proverbial cat that ate the cheese, it has been tinged with hope, sadness, worry and joy. It has even caused arguments and sometimes even laughter. My ex was telling me that when the Brits found the boys, one of the boys says in Thai, "are they tourists, or are they here to rescue us?" and another in true Thai style asks, "Have you told them that we are hungry?", to which the reply is, "Yes, twice"

This has been a truly international rescue, one that restores your faith in humanity, from all the Thais that gave their help willingly and freely to the massive number of divers that volunteered to assist in whatever way they could and of course they all deserve thanks and praise as the spearhead rescue experts would not have been able to complete the operation without all that support.

Every day, some new fact is uncovered that contributed to the success, like the old bill blues and two-ing the kids face masks down the motorway to get them onto a plane to Thailand after some small enough to fit the boys were located. There are many stories like this, insignificant on their own, but all adding up and contributing.

There have been misunderstandings, like when my ex asked why do they shine the torch at them, until it was explained to her, there has been guess-work, predictions, doom and gloom, elation and finally success. There has also been a large dollop of humility, something we are not accustomed to these days.

Personally, my enduring memory of this whole operation will be that when the shit hit the fan an awful lot of people turned out to clean it and that is a very reassuring thought. ?

Archived