Swiss court jails Thai woman in biggest ever human trafficking case

webfact

Swiss court jails Thai woman in biggest ever human trafficking case

nightclub.jpg

File photo

A Swiss court on Wednesday handed down a ten and half year jail sentence to a Thai woman in what is believed to be Switzerland’s biggest ever human trafficking case.

The 58 year old woman, whose name has not been released, was found guilty on 75 counts of trafficking poor and mostly uneducated women from rural Thailand to be employed as sex workers in Switzerland, Swiss media reported.

The woman, who was also found guilty of charges related to money laundering and the promotion of prostitution, ran a complex, well organised and inhumane sex trafficking network throughout multiple regions in Switzerland from 2009 to her arrest in October 2014.

During the ten day trial, the court heard how the victims were subjected to terrible conditions and were forced to pay back travel expenses, which in some cases amounted to more than 1 million baht, to the operators of the sex ring.

Most of the women could not speak English and some suffered post traumatic stress following their ordeal, while others have since contemplated suicide.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-12

Some people are just pure evil through and through.Sadly for every one they catch, there are a bunch more still going strong. Personally I think they should have given her a Thai style sentence, something in the region of 200 years, so she knows she is never getting out.

i understand how they try to and do control these workers.  Threats on them abroad, on their families back in Thailand etc.  But still, it surprises me that a worker or workers are not aware that there is some help out there if they somehow notify the authorities.  Of course some times the exploiters have cops on the payroll or use fake cops to further intimidate.

I'm just not buying that these poor innocent ladies didn't know exactly what they were going there for.

Oh sure someone is going to front up 60000 baht free airfares and 100000 baht a month free accommodation with all expenses paid whilst they get settled in to their new country to work in what they thought was a restaurant. ???

I guess now that they have been saved they won't have to pay the hundreds of thousands they borrowed and since they are so stressed will probably get citizenship to go and sell their wares. 

No incentive to lie in court there. 

28 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I'm just not buying that these poor innocent ladies didn't know exactly what they were going there for.

Oh sure someone is going to front up 60000 baht free airfares and 100000 baht a month free accommodation with all expenses paid whilst they get settled in to their new country to work in what they thought was a restaurant. ???

I guess now that they have been saved they won't have to pay the hundreds of thousands they borrowed and since they are so stressed will probably get citizenship to go and sell their wares. 

I totally agree with you about some of the girls'  know what the score is.

But if we just legalized hookers all round the world, let them pay there tax, get the protection of the state and rights as workers. and so on and so on, all would be ok is'h.

But these people traffickers that operate now, are real low life scum bags.

who have no care about the girls.  and i'm sure there is loads of threats of violence and plenty of extortion by them,  so i'm glad when they get caught and go to jail.

The girls deserve better. 

Just saying. :jap:

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

But if we just legalized hookers all round the world, let them pay there tax, get the protection of the state and rights as workers. and so on and so on, all would be ok is'h.

who have no care about the girls.  and i'm sure there is loads of threats of violence and plenty of extortion by them,  so i'm glad when they get caught and go to jail.

It is legal there. Thats why shes been arrested for trafficking and not for running a prostitution ring. But these girls borrowed money to get there so then they had to pay it back. And she was bringing in loads of them. And they were all working illegally. So they put her under the bus to save themselves by saying they didn't know. 

Of course they knew. 

4 hours ago, inactiveposter said:

The comment that they couldn’t speak English is an odd addition to the article. They were Thais in Switzerland.

Probably only to illustrate that they were very limited in thier means to raise the alarm about what was going on or to get help.

34 minutes ago, greenchair said:

It is legal there. Thats why shes been arrested for trafficking and not for running a prostitution ring. But these girls borrowed money to get there so then they had to pay it back. And she was bringing in loads of them. And they were all working illegally. So they put her under the bus to save themselves by saying they didn't know. 

Of course they knew. 

Ok, fair enough, didn't know it was legal over there.

Wonder if Switzerland will issue a work visa on the basis of  prostitution in 

there country ?  maybe not.

Still think the traffickers are just nasty greedy evil people.

These groups that run prostitution rackets are not charities, they are run as a business, even if illegal. No one is going to give uneducated girls an all expenses paid, with free accommodation, food and a chance to earn money, without expecting something in return.  

To these people the girls are simply a product, they don`t give a toss about their welfare, it`s strictly business and making profits, plus these girls to them are expendable and disposable.

Most prostitution is seedy and unsavoury run by gangsters. I have to wonder what these girls expect when they become part of these rackets, 6 weeks paid holiday per years, pension schemes and guaranteed minimum wages?

29 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Most prostitution is seedy and unsavoury run by gangsters. I have to wonder what these girls expect when they become part of these rackets, 6 weeks paid holiday per years, pension schemes and guaranteed minimum wages?

They get sweet talked into it, with promises of big money bla bla bla.

but the reality is way different when they get there.

But again, why do the bad people have the control over the industry !!!!!!!!!! it's crazy. 

Maybe its more to do with the moral high ground folks incharge of governments on  this planet.

But saying that, Thailand is trying to get rid of that image !!!!! :giggle:

just saying.

4 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

They get sweet talked into it, with promises of big money bla bla bla.

but the reality is way different when they get there.

But again, why do the bad people have the control over the industry !!!!!!!!!! it's crazy. 

Maybe its more to do with the moral high ground folks incharge of governments on  this planet.

But saying that, Thailand is trying to get rid of that image !!!!! :giggle:

just saying.

It is the do gooders that impose on us what they believe is for our best. The religious, the righteous and the morality police. This is what hands out the sex industry to the bad guys on a plate.

There will always be women willing to use their bodies for profit and gain, there will never be a shortage of women within the sex industries. This is what places ME TOO complainers that all women are victims way out of context, mainly due to the reputations of a substantial minority. 

Traffickers is a misused word. The girls came from an impoverished hellish back ground. They were given a chance to make money. They knew what they were doing and when the dust has settled will return again to their chosen profession.

3 hours ago, greenchair said:

no one is asking you to buy it, because whether the individuals knew or didn't know what was going on, it's still Human trafficking. It's a crime, and the ringleader is going to prison. 

Ok, fair enough, didn't know it was legal over there.

there country ?  maybe not.

Still think the traffickers are just nasty greedy evil people.

Well that's what the women wanted, a work permit to stay and work in the country legally. 

As hookers. ???

3 hours ago, greenchair said:

I'm just not buying that these poor innocent ladies didn't know exactly what they were going there for...

Correct. Translated excerpt of an article in a Swiss newspaper:

According to the public prosecutor, the victims knew that they would be working as prostitutes in Switzerland. They also knew that they would have to work off the debts imposed on them. However, they were unaware of the concrete working and living conditions. Only after their arrival in Switzerland were they told how their monthly earnings would be split up.

Source, in German language: https://www.bernerzeitung.ch/region/bern/thailaenderin-wegen-88fachen-menschenhandels-vor-gericht/story/25859287

5 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

no one is asking you to buy it, because whether the individuals knew or didn't know what was going on, it's still Human trafficking. It's a crime, and the ringleader is going to prison. 

I didn't comment on whether it was legal or not. They didn't have work permits, and they were working in the country illegally. She transported them there to do that without going through legal channels to get them work permits and such. In my opinion both parties are as guilty as the other. 

But my comment was referring to all the posters that are raving on about how hard done by these ladies are. They willingly went and they knew full well what they were going to do. They should not be rewarded by that. They should have stayed at home and sold their wares to the locals. Nobody forced them to go. 

5 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Correct. Translated excerpt of an article in a Swiss newspaper:

Source, in German language: https://www.bernerzeitung.ch/region/bern/thailaenderin-wegen-88fachen-menschenhandels-vor-gericht/story/25859287

That's right. So it basically comes down to, they didn't want to pay their debt. 

So if I borrow 100,000 from the bank and travel to Switzerland to lay on my back. 

Do I need to pay back the bank with 30 percent interest? ?

I know a girl who spent a year in Switzerland doing just this not sure if same pimp. It cost one million baht all in air fare, visa, medical and a few other odds and ends. She paid off the debt in about 3 months and then saved a good chunk of change before coming home. She kept here passport and could go out on days off. Her commet after coming home was I thought I liked to boom boom and no problem but a few months of 10 guys a day wore off the fun part.  She has a nice husband now living in England and she treats the guy good

7 minutes ago, greenchair said:

...They didn't have work permits, and they were working in the country illegally...

According to a Swiss media report, a work permit was part of the employment package.

15 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I know a girl who spent a year in Switzerland doing just this not sure if same pimp. It cost one million baht all in air fare, visa, medical and a few other odds and ends. She paid off the debt in about 3 months and then saved a good chunk of change before coming home. She kept here passport and could go out on days off. Her commet after coming home was I thought I liked to boom boom and no problem but a few months of 10 guys a day wore off the fun part.  She has a nice husband now living in England and she treats the guy good

Interesting.  So did she know what she would be up to before she headed out there? 

37 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

It's not trafficking if the were going there voluntarily  ...It's helping. Agents all over the world help people get jobs in other countries. 

2 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

there country ?

Yes. Below is a link to a guide published by the government of one of the Swiss cantons in English:

https://www.fr.ch/dsj/files/pdf89/ang_faq_canton-fribourg_lprost_conseils-et-orientation1.pdf

Archived