Thanks for helping us: Foreign cave rescuers all to be given Thai Elite cards

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Really, is that all?  A tour of chiang rai and an elite card.  Wow thanks for paying your own way and next time you come back for a visit you can get a 5% discount with this card.

Did you miss this part where they get one free all expenses paid trip to Thailland including free airfares on Thai Airways.

As well as a Visa valid for 5 years.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, monkfish said:

Hello this is  public forum where people are allowed to express their opinions even if you don't like it.
No one insulted you so why do you insult them?

And not only that, completely missed the fact that half the posts he was responding to were not negative but humorous. 

2 hours ago, SinCityGr8One said:

I just thought being a trained rescue professional when helping others where ever needed is a professional courtesy. Nothing more, nothing less. A"Thank You" for your help and a successful outcome is all they would like to hear.

Trained rescue volunteer !! They are not professional but all have ordinary jobs and have gained there knowledge and skills in their own time and at their own expense ! Big difference . They deserve whatever is offered but I'm sure they expect nothing except the satisfaction of a job well done !! 

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Free golf cart rides at swampy and fast lane at immigration. Small perks but it's the thought that counts.

Well, the convenience of the 90 day reporting done by The Elite Visa folks if you are in certain areas/cities.   But they still would have to pay the yearly 1900 baht extension fee.

5 hours ago, Bullie said:

Whoop-di-do, so with a little bit of luck they now do not have to pay overstay on the current trip.

It is good to finally know the exact worth of 13 Thai lives: a week's holiday, and a rather useless elite-card for the duration of 5 years. For most working stiffs a visa-exempt stay in Thailand of 2-3 weeks a year is all they can swing anyway, apart from the fact that your loved ones still would need visa's on extended stays.

Then again, the farangs in question are getting away lightly. For all we know they could have been given the honor of being appointed honorary Thai.

Why would they have to pay overstay?  Are you really that negative about Thailand?

I'd love to have Thai citizenship.   I don't need my British passport living in Thailand, but a Thai one would be very useful seeing as I plan to live here another 40 years (or more).

THe tact seems very poor to me to be honest. Save a country's treasures and be given a glorified five year tourist visa? I feel like the thais are putting a bit too much weight into the worth of these cards. I can just see then akl sitting ina boardroom somehwere... "what should we give them?"  "cars?, gold? an envelope full of cash? A visa to thailand?" "YES, a visa to thailand is perfect"

2 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

THe tact seems very poor to me to be honest. Save a country's treasures and be given a glorified five year tourist visa? I feel like the thais are putting a bit too much weight into the worth of these cards. I can just see then akl sitting ina boardroom somehwere... "what should we give them?"  "cars?, gold? an envelope full of cash? A visa to thailand?" "YES, a visa to thailand is perfect"

Agree with you.

But if they had made it a life time thing for them 

then maybe ok.

But this is a big nothing 

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

Why would they have to pay overstay?  Are you really that negative about Thailand?

I'd love to have Thai citizenship.   I don't need my British passport living in Thailand, but a Thai one would be very useful seeing as I plan to live here another 40 years (or more).

You can apply. 

After 22 years I did. 

It was done in 2 years. It's not as hard as you think. I love having my thai id  card. 

6 hours ago, monkfish said:

Hello this is  public forum where people are allowed to express their opinions even if you don't like it.
No one insulted you so why do you insult them?

I understand your concern, and I am sorry if I wasn´t clear from start. I will try to correct that to satisfaction. At first: If it is free to express an opinion, then consider my contribution as one too.

Regarding insulting. You were actually the first one starting that silly game. That by putting yourself as a foreigner coming to Thailand and living here, at the same level as the big heroes that came here and helped search and rescue the 12 boys and their coach in Tham Luang cave.

You did not only just insult them. You also insulted human intelligence by asking to get a free Thailand Elite Visa, just for doing the same like so many other people do when they come and settle down in this beautiful country. 

Due to that this was such a huge mission and accomplishment, and you were putting yourself at the same level by asking for the same gift for such a small thing you have done. Yeah, then I just couldn´t stand for that.

But, hey! You know, that´s only my opinion. You said it was a forum were I was allowed to express that, right?

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Agree with you.

But if they had made it a life time thing for them 

then maybe ok.

But this is a big nothing 

Don't they got some royal palaces or something around here? This could have been a pr wet dream it seems, and they are handing out five year visas instead?

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

I understand your concern, and I am sorry if I wasn´t clear from start. I will try to correct that to satisfaction. At first: If it is free to express an opinion, then consider my contribution as one too.

Regarding insulting. You were actually the first one starting that silly game. That by putting yourself as a foreigner coming to Thailand and living here, at the same level as the big heroes that came here and helped search and rescue the 12 boys and their coach in Tham Luang cave.

You did not only just insult them. You also insulted human intelligence by asking to get a free Thailand Elite Visa, just for doing the same like so many other people do when they come and settle down in this beautiful country. 

Due to that this was such a huge mission and accomplishment, and you were putting yourself at the same level by asking for the same gift for such a small thing you have done. Yeah, then I just couldn´t stand for that.

But, hey! You know, that´s only my opinion. You said it was a forum were I was allowed to express that, right?

OK i see, no problem have a nice day.

13 hours ago, monkfish said:

Well for sure they deserve them but there are also other Farang living in Thailand contributing and with families who equally deserve one imo instead of just being treated like long term tourists.

Spot on Monkfish, do I see saddos?? Unbelievable.:crazy:

By this gesture, at least the locals are acknowledging that they had foreign assistance and I'm sure the divers themselves didn't care, they got their satisfaction from saving the boys.

Surprised by the old girl on the left though, she looks a bit past it for cave diving..

13 hours ago, monkfish said:

Well for sure they deserve them but there are also other Farang living in Thailand contributing and with families who equally deserve one imo instead of just being treated like long term tourists.

Treated like long term tourists?? How right you are.  90 day reporting?? 

Nice gesture , but, the Chinese understand Thai's better Take up the offer now because next year it will have been lost under a mountain of paperwork and embarrassment will have them held up at the airport without anywhere to go!

14 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Do you have any evidence to show that their expenses have not been covered in full? If so, please post it with the link.

Thailand was not being forced to give them anything, as they came as volunteers. But they have. They have shown some gratitude, maybe you should be a little less quick off the mark to bash them.

Some gratitude being the key word.  To most long term expats it is symbolic at best.

14 hours ago, monkfish said:

Are you saying you deserve one for just having a family?

What do you mean by contributing?

My friend got, the order of the white elephant, for work done helping Thailand during the Laos border war. This, IMHO, would be a more appropriate reward.

You can apply for Thai citizenship if you are married to a Thai and worked for 3 years at a cost of 5,000 baht.

14 hours ago, Thechook said:

Really, is that all?  A tour of chiang rai and an elite card.  Wow thanks for paying your own way and next time you come back for a visit you can get a 5% discount with this card.

Do you not read!!!! They also get an all expenses paid holiday including flights on thai airways within the 5 years.

Archived