Thanks for helping us: Foreign cave rescuers all to be given Thai Elite cards

snoop1130

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just starting to read the comments - it's unbelievable how many NEGATIVE People are here on this site that do nothing but Thai-bashing. It seems no matter what is happening - these people will always find a negative slant to post. If they don't like it here - why do they stay here - maybe it's better if they return to their home-countries?

It's nice to see that, once in a blue moon, the word 'elite' can be used in the proper sense.

These guys are given a much deserved privilege on the basis of their courage, dedication, skills, selflessness, and not just because they happen to have a big fat bank account. GREAT and HOOYAH !

Not to put too fine a point on it, big fat bank accounts are very seldom the result of personal merit, work and intelligence. Most rich people on this planet are rich because they were born rich, or were incredibly lucky, and more often than not, ruthless. Usually a combination of the three. Calling them the 'elite' is like calling hyenas 'pets', or burglars 'distinguished guests'.

14 hours ago, Bullie said:

Whoop-di-do, so with a little bit of luck they now do not have to pay overstay on the current trip.

It is good to finally know the exact worth of 13 Thai lives: a week's holiday, and a rather useless elite-card for the duration of 5 years. For most working stiffs a visa-exempt stay in Thailand of 2-3 weeks a year is all they can swing anyway, apart from the fact that your loved ones still would need visa's on extended stays.

Then again, the farangs in question are getting away lightly. For all we know they could have been given the honor of being appointed honorary Thai.

Totally agree Thai citizenship at the least, what they did was unbelievable, they saved the lives of 13 Thais, 12 of them children, THE WHOLE WORLD WAS WATCHING AND PRAYING FOR THE RESCUE OF THESE PEOPLE, c’mon Thailand show a little bit more gratitude 

Professionals, who volunteer for such things as this, are not doing it with the expectation of any reward.

Most of the pros I know would be satisfied with having a successful outcome. That would be "cake" enough for most of them.

A simple handshake and a heartfelt thank you would be icing on the cake (especially if it came from the boys and their coach).

Getting an all expense paid free holiday (including airfare) as well as card that lets you come back as often as you want (and stay as long as you want) over the next 5 years ? That's just a whole load of cherries and sprinkles on top of the icing.

I'm sure the pros will be more than happy with the offering. 

Remember as well, it's not so easy to grant citizenship or "life long" visas (etc), even in cases like this, as there are little things like laws that would have to be considered.
It's easy for people to suggest such things, as they usually have no clue as to what it would really take to make something like that happen.

What Thailand has offered is something they can do without having to create a new piece of legislation and have it go through the normal political process, or having to amend any existing laws.

It is a gesture of appreciation from a country that usually is not keen on accepting help from foreigners.

And you can bet that if another similar crisis happened, in Thailand or anywhere else in the world, those same pros would be among the first to step up and volunteer their services again and they wouldn't be whining about things like "gee, the last time we saved 13 people we only got this and that for our efforts".

I think it's just another illustration of the different mindsets in the cultures. In the West, they might receive a handshake or a medal, as they don't really expect anything, but here reward has to be monetary.

Elite cards, free flights and a week's holiday are a nice, not too expensive, gesture and I am sure will be well received. Well done to the Government for at least doing something. This operation has cost a lot of resources and money as well as a diver's life, for basically what is still not a rich country.

Yes i think Foreigners with family here should get a 5 year visa. Don't have to call it the ELITE Visa though perhaps call it FAMILY Visa and shouldn't cost $30,000 either that's too expensive for normal folk.

Are you saying you deserve one for just having a family?
What do you mean by contributing?
My friend got, the order of the white elephant, for work done helping Thailand during the Laos border war. This, IMHO, would be a more appropriate reward.
You can apply for Thai citizenship if you are married to a Thai and worked for 3 years at a cost of 5,000 baht.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDB using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I rescued my wife from being a somtam seller. Do I qualify? 

Only if you can guarantee 100% that she wouldn't be happier today as a somtam seller. Can you ?  :wink:

("Marriage is a long, dull meal with dessert served at the beginning". Oscar Wilde)

15 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Yes i think Foreigners with family here should get a 5 year visa. Don't have to call it the ELITE Visa though perhaps call it FAMILY Visa and shouldn't cost $30,000 either that's too expensive for normal folk.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDB using Tapatalk

The problem there is that too many would get married just for this visa.

Do you pay taxes here?

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The cards - that can cost up to a million baht depending on their level

How much is something worth if you can't sell it???

?

Still have to do 90 day reporting ... so what does that save over a retirement visa ... ?

1,000,000b up front for five years vs. 5000b per year x 5 years (25,000b).  WOW.  What a deal.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

15 hours ago, Bullie said:

Whoop-di-do, so with a little bit of luck they now do not have to pay overstay on the current trip.

It is good to finally know the exact worth of 13 Thai lives: a week's holiday, and a rather useless elite-card for the duration of 5 years. For most working stiffs a visa-exempt stay in Thailand of 2-3 weeks a year is all they can swing anyway, apart from the fact that your loved ones still would need visa's on extended stays.

Then again, the farangs in question are getting away lightly. For all we know they could have been given the honor of being appointed honorary Thai.

And Seancbk replied:
Why would they have to pay overstay?  Are you really that negative about Thailand?

I'd love to have Thai citizenship.   I don't need my British passport living in Thailand, but a Thai one would be very useful seeing as I plan to live here another 40 years (or more).

Oh no!   ?

7 minutes ago, chaihot said:

How much is something worth if you can't sell it???

?

Still have to do 90 day reporting ... so what does that save over a retirement visa ... ?

1,000,000b up front for five years vs. 5000b per year x 5 years (25,000b).  WOW.  What a deal.

The 5 year Thai Elite Visa is 500,000 THB.   If you are going to be negative about everything at least be accurate.

51 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

15 hours ago, Bullie said:

And Seancbk replied:
Why would they have to pay overstay?  Are you really that negative about Thailand?

I'd love to have Thai citizenship.   I don't need my British passport living in Thailand, but a Thai one would be very useful seeing as I plan to live here another 40 years (or more).

Oh no!   ?

One hour, one time a year must be tough for a busy retired person.

I work 7 days a week and found the time to apply for citizenship.

16 hours ago, Thechook said:

Really, is that all?  A tour of chiang rai and an elite card.  Wow thanks for paying your own way and next time you come back for a visit you can get a 5% discount with this card.

You have no idea what an Elite Visa is, do you?

15 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Had the Government not made any gesture, I don't think the heroes would have had any problems about it.

Just the fact that they (some of whom probably have kids themselves), have given these youngsters the gift of more years of life, by using their skills to save them from near certain death, will stay in their minds and hearts forever.

Agreed. They didn't come to make themselves look good, which they are very good, but they came with the purpose of getting the children and the coach out of the cave safely which they achieved

If Thailand can learn anything from this rescue it should be that sometimes foreigners know a lot more than they do. No disrespect to the Thai navy SEAL's they did a brilliant job as well. Why don't the SEAL's who have by their own admission very limited experience of cave rescues arrange training courses for their guys with the world experts so they can be better equipped next time should there be a next time?

Reminds me of the Scottish mountain rescue team, risking their lives, often at huge expense, to get some English nob(toff), who has ignored weather warnings, off the top of Ben Nevis in the middle of winter. 

16 hours ago, Thechook said:

thanks for paying your own way and next time you come back for a visit you can get a 5% discount with this card.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In addition the rescuers will be allowed one free all expenses paid trip to Thailand of a week within the next five years. This includes free airfares on Thai Airways.

I'm sure most of their expenses while in Thailand on the rescue mission was covered by their nonprofit foundation.

Archived