Thanks for helping us: Foreign cave rescuers all to be given Thai Elite cards

snoop1130

51 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

One hour, one time a year must be tough for a busy retired person.

I work 7 days a week and found the time to apply for citizenship.

Not everyone is retired and not everyone is married.

Some of us have to go somewhere every 90 days for another tourist visa.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Bullie said:

Whoop-di-do, so with a little bit of luck they now do not have to pay overstay on the current trip.

It is good to finally know the exact worth of 13 Thai lives: a week's holiday, and a rather useless elite-card for the duration of 5 years. For most working stiffs a visa-exempt stay in Thailand of 2-3 weeks a year is all they can swing anyway, apart from the fact that your loved ones still would need visa's on extended stays.

Then again, the farangs in question are getting away lightly. For all we know they could have been given the honor of being appointed honorary Thai.

As the old saying goes, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt. 

17 hours ago, monkfish said:

Well for sure they deserve them but there are also other Farang living in Thailand contributing and with families who equally deserve one imo instead of just being treated like long term tourists.

Who and why do other farangs deserve one. Not having a go at you, just curious as to what others you know have done to deserve one. This is an honest question not looking for an arguement. 

24 minutes ago, Kadilo said:
7 hours ago, greenchair said:

That's just a nice thing to do. 

I really love thailand. 

Awww and Thailand loves you too

Going by some (many) comments on these forums (not just this thread) you'd get the impression that a large percentage of people don't like Thailand. 

I for one love it here and the Thais I know in Bangkok are just a cool as my friends from any other country.   

I often wonder why some people bother with these forums given how negative they are about anything to do with Thais and Thailand.

6 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Going by some (many) comments on these forums (not just this thread) you'd get the impression that a large percentage of people don't like Thailand. 

I for one love it here and the Thais I know in Bangkok are just a cool as my friends from any other country.   

I often wonder why some people bother with these forums given how negative they are about anything to do with Thais and Thailand.

I often wonder how people can be so void of any sense of humour on these forums but hey we are all different. 

Just for the record I love it here too, only I don’t feel the need to keep making sticky comments about it. 

What these volunteers have shown to Thailand is that all foreigners are not the same . Many Thai only see the mongers that come to Pattaya , many of which are ignorant and disrespectful. This time they have seen a different side of the foreigner. I have been thanked by Thais over the last two weeks for what the volunteers have been doing, and I am nothing to do with the rescue at all . Well done these volunteers, let’s not ruin everything by stupid comments on what they or may not have received as reward . They expect nothing but deserve everything 

Mentioned it before but i just think Foreigners with families should be eligible for 5 year visas. Its not only about time lost applying but also security and long term planning. No need to call them Elite visas maybe Family visa would be more appropriate.

Who and why do other farangs deserve one. Not having a go at you, just curious as to what others you know have done to deserve one. This is an honest question not looking for an arguement. 

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDB using Tapatalk

A lot of immigration places in Thailand have never seen one.  That was true in Udon, and the only other person I know 'up north' (works offshore so he checks in at BKK) went bike riding into Laos with a friend presented at a less popular tourist crossing point when leaving Thailand for a week and there was all kinds of consternation and phone calls as they'd never heard of the visa either, whilst a co-friend on an O visa waltzed across the border.  Fortunately they're available 24/7 on the end of the phone in BKK.  Hopefully that will happen a little less now it's featured in a story that gripped the nation and much of the world.

I do think it's a nice gesture from Thailand, as it's a token of gratitude and friendship.  Depending on culture, buying things for people can either be appreciated or taken as an insult (as in 'you couldn't afford xyz so I'll do it for ya').  Sort of  like a 'keys to the kingdom'.

And....[drum roll], courtesy Elon, Thailand now has a submarine!  A space submarine at that!  I wonder if it has a brass handle?

If they ever sell their story, I hope any returns are split not only with the football lads, but also with the Phuket boating tragedy families, as that doesn't appear nearly as newsworthy sadly.

17 hours ago, monkfish said:

I'm sure they would be happy with a simple thank you from the PM in person..

It's impossible to keep up with all the news, thai and English, but has the king had anything to say particularly a message to the young boys. A message from Germany would cheer up the boys no doubt.

41 minutes ago, seancbk said:

And you should be grateful they allow you to do this.

38 minutes ago, seancbk said:

The pink cloud wears off after a few years of you integrate into Thai society. Nowhere is perfect.

41 minutes ago, seancbk said:

That was my issue too.  Not yet 50 and didn't think using my missus for gov't paperwork was smart, respectful or effective.  We call ourselves married, rings on fingers etc, but gov't has no role in that.

5 year visa was the least hassle route.  Sure other countries have better polices, but I've made my life here.

All the people that helped save these children and coach they did it 

not expecting anything. They are very happy that they got everyone 

out alive. 

Let’s all be positive and feed off this situation maybe help someone 

that’s in need. Or someday we may need help we never know. 

It’s a fantastic ending to what could be a tragedy. I’ve a few friends 

not Farang that commented that they’re not going to make it.

Made me angry because you have to have faith that it’s  going to be 

ok never give up ....... every time we’d hear good news I got a tingle of 

joy and excitement . I’m not a sensitive person..... 

A great accomplishment by all. 

48 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I often wonder how people can be so void of any sense of humour on these forums but hey we are all different. 

Just for the record I love it here too, only I don’t feel the need to keep making sticky comments about it. 

I always wish there was a little icon of the man putting his tongue out. 

Like this one ? as in kind of funny but yeah right. 

Or an icon to express other emotions such as angry or annoyed ???? I'm tired of clicking the sad button when I'm not actually sad. 

For you of course I would choose ? with a spot of humour ??

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
55 minutes ago, seancbk said:

The pink cloud wears off after a few years of you integrate into Thai society. Nowhere is perfect.

I agree nowhere is perfect but after 10 years living here I can say that Bangkok keeps getting better.  I make more friends all the time and we have more places to go out and have fun.  

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The problem there is that too many would get married just for this visa.

Do you pay taxes here?

But surely there must be ways of making sure they are genuinely married and still with the wife.

Then again there will be ways around it as there are ways around everything, nothing is ever going to be perfect.

That would apply to tax affairs, business affairs, running a country etc, etc, etc. This applies to any country.

11 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I agree nowhere is perfect but after 10 years living here I can say that Bangkok keeps getting better.  I make more friends all the time and we have more places to go out and have fun.  

That's great, I loved Bangkok too when I was young. In some ways would like to move back there. Most of the moaners are probably old grumpy men, who would complain wherever they are. Finding themselves stranded in a village in Nakhon Nowhere, unable to converse with their neighbours, thus not understanding the culture, makes them 10 times worse.

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

Mentioned it before but i just think Foreigners with families should be eligible for 5 year visas. Its not only about time lost applying but also security and long term planning. No need to call them Elite visas maybe Family visa would be more appropriate.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDB using Tapatalk

Ah, now I understand. Yes I agree with that idea. Although they are eligible if they apply for the  Elite visa. However if they offered a 5 year visa without all the bells and whistles for a lower cost it would benifit is better. Even the guys on retirement type visa would probably go for that cheaper option too. 

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Not trying to deliberately Thai bash, but have to call it as I see it, but in most cases, the Thai government are not fair to westerners, unnecessary border hops, far too much hoop jumping around for the unmarried under fifties, except when they pay 500.000 Bt for an Elite visa etc, etc.

Good Thailand goverment give this elite and free trip around   what els could they have given.

for all volenteers what ever nationalety   fantastic job 

i think all volenteers  just do this to help the situation and dont expect to much back

but  a thankyou with some food a shower and a beer or two go a long way  .

2 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

Well here's an honest answer, I have a friend who is 76 years old, has been married to a Thai for about 25 years.

Why should someone like him have to do 90 day reports?

How many countries in the world would have  guys like my friend having to do 90 day reports?

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:
1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Do you think the people that constantly complain about Thais and Thailand are doing it to be funny?     Or are you implying I don't have a sense of humour because I can't understand people being so negative about a place they chose to come and live in?  

Archived