Pattaya trader sold SIM cards to foreigners.....in the name of a certain Mr Prayut!

snoop1130

Pattaya trader sold SIM cards to foreigners.....in the name of a certain Mr Prayut!

1(1).jpg

A senior police spokesman has revealed that a man has been arrested in Pattaya for selling SIM cards to foreigners in the name of the Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha.

The man - who appears to be a trader at the resort - was caught after True Move discovered a lot of SIM cards being used bearing the name of the PM from March until May of this year.

Spokesman Kritsana Patanacharoen said that phone operator True Move contacted tech police with their suspicions and an arrest warrant was issued on Wednesday that led investigators to a shop in South Pattaya.

There Pheeramet, 31, admitted the ruse saying that he had used fake ID to get multiple cards then sold the SIMs to his foreign customers who wanted to use a local phone card in Thailand on holiday.

The case is an embarrassment for the government who have been trying to tighten up the use of SIM cards to limit crime.

Red faced Kritsana said that such illegal activity could warrant a jail term or a fine. 

And now the national police chief Pol Gen Jakthip Chaijinda has thrown his hat into the ring.

The chief was reported by Sanook as indicating that he intended to go after anyone involved in such activity and wanted to know if there were other miscreants behind Pheeramet's activities in Pattaya. 

Source: https://www.sanook.com/news/7152238/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-7-12

Spokesman Kritsana Patanacharoen said that phone operator True Move contacted tech police with their suspicions and an arrest warrant was issued on Wednesday that led investigators to a shop in South Pattaya.

Most of Thailand waits for that arrest!

So many thai vendors and counter top agents sell SIM cards.  trying to make them slow down or deny sales is problematic.  Is there any penalty for selling a SIM card to a foreigner without a passport? Is there a law?  Is it ever enforced?  I imagine some hand slapping, but I haven't heard of many Thais going to jail or paying fines for it.

The click farm that was busted in Sa Kaeo last year apparently had 350,000 SIM cards from the big 3 providers in Thailand. It was reported in various media all over the world but I never saw any explanation of how they managed to get hold of and register that many SIM cards.

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The case is an embarrassment for the government who have been trying to tighten up the use of SIM cards to limit crime.

The big question for me, is how True Move H+ can allow their partners to buy a lot of Sim-cards in the one and same namne. They also directly would have reacted on the namne used.
What punishment is going to be laid on True Move H+, for tearing down security and opening up the possibility to use same as an anonymous Sim-card in all from illegal business to detonating bombs?

7 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

wikipedia says he is 1m75, maybe he is on tippy-toes for this mug shot...

I think it is the angle the photo is taken from. My ID card photo shows me as slightly over 190cm which is 10 cm higher than I really am.

3 minutes ago, thedemon said:

I think it is the angle the photo is taken from. My ID card photo shows me as slightly over 190cm which is 10 cm higher than I really am.

It looks like the staff taking the photos don't adjust the camera height to keep the perspective correct.

Proves the camera does lie.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Why is the PM smiling while having his photo taken for his ID card?

For a Thai ID card or passport, everyone is clearly told not to smile, just look straight ahead.

One can only hope this is not for an ID card, but prior to charge him with treason.

On Thu Jul 12 2018 at 9:51 PM, persimmon said:

Last SIM I got from the local shop,went with the GF,the first thing the girl behind the counter said was " But prachachon " asking to see GF`s ID before SIM issued.

I understood all SIM cards must be registered and backed with Passport or ID!!??

On 7/13/2018 at 5:15 AM, Get Real said:

how True Move H+ can allow their partners to buy a lot of Sim-cards in the one and same namne

maybe were 5 or 6 SIM cards, how you know? If a person  got 6 phones I already think he got a 'lot' of phones for just 2 ears...

3 hours ago, MekkOne said:

maybe were 5 or 6 SIM cards, how you know? If a person  got 6 phones I already think he got a 'lot' of phones for just 2 ears...

You are sure everything is ok? Or were you by mistake quoting my comment?

I can not care less if it was 5 sim cards or 550 sim cards. The thing was that he pre-registered them in the PM´s name. If you do not see anything strange in that, then I would seriuosly consider to contact a professional. Or maybe you just think that the world are full of people with that name. In that case, it will monly make the treatment for your problem even more complicated.

Note to moderator: Please ban me for eternity, if you think that would be in place..

55 minutes ago, Get Real said:

The thing was that he pre-registered them in the PM´s name.

In fact True spotted him just because of this, if the SIM cards were registered in 'John Real' name probably nobody will have noticed what was going on...

On 7/12/2018 at 8:12 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

still to easy to get sim card's 

I see rusky buy in Tesco without passports 

To meny criminals but this is los

When I got mine, I was asked to 'go two floors down to a copy shop to get a passport copy'. However, after I returned 10 minutes later they had already forgotten about it, and just sold me the SIM card without the copy.

Archived