Naresuan University offers 13 ‘Wild Boars’ full scholarships

webfact

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not exactly.

Looking at what happened objectively, their odds of survival were not good.

They were subject of one of the most dramatic amazing rescue operations in the world history.

So then "won" a lottery of sorts just being alive.

It's natural to treat them as special now. 

It may not be rational, but it's very human. 

They're being rewarded for providing suspenseful entertainment to the mobs and have reached a media superstar status others can exploit for PR? I can dig that. Now let's see how many hopeful copycats will we get. You know, get stuck up on a tree or some light version, maybe get to go on TV.

Humans truly aren't rational. At least they are entertaining.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, except for the tragic death of the former Thai Navy seal, there is very little bad about this event. For Thailand image/business/public relations/tourism, for farangs in Thailand, for global cooperation, obviously for the almost miracle for the survivors, for the overall human spirit. 

People all over the world were really feeling this. 

I say may as well accept that what happens from now is going to be rooted in a lot of EMOTION as well.

It's inevitable. 

I just hope the survivors get good advice to navigate all of this. I'm not optimistic about that. There will clearly be snakes about. 

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They were subject of one of the most dramatic amazing rescue operations in the world history.

I think we may getting a little carried away. The shelf life of this event is at most 30 days.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Look, except for the tragic death of the former Thai Navy seal, there is very little bad about this event. For Thailand image/business/public relations/tourism, for farangs in Thailand, for global cooperation, obviously for the almost miracle for the survivors, for the overall human spirit. 

People all over the world were really feeling this. 

I say may as well accept that what happens from now is going to be rooted in a lot of EMOTION as well.

It's inevitable. 

I just hope the survivors get good advice to navigate all of this. I'm not optimistic about that. There will clearly be snakes about. 

I'm hoping it will bring some renewed focus on the plight of stateless kids and adults.

8 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

They're being rewarded for providing suspenseful entertainment to the mobs and have reached a media superstar status others can exploit for PR? I can dig that. Now let's see how many hopeful copycats will we get. You know, get stuck up on a tree or some light version, maybe get to go on TV.

Humans truly aren't rational. At least they are entertaining.

You're more cynical than me and that takes some doing.

What happened in the cave with the getting trapped and the rescue was clearly entirely AUTHENTIC.

If people try fake stunts to replicate the "magic" of that the public will smell that miles away. Fuggedaboutit.

34 minutes ago, greenchair said:

So what you are saying is that some parents didn't even have 3 meals a day so that their kids could attend. Which is absolutely rediculous and just not true. In order to get money from a loan shark, one must have assets such as land or vehicle. Not to mention that low income thai children are all entitled to student loans to fund university, same as every other country. Where as these stateless children are not entitled to that. 

Thai airways got criticised for offering free tickets. 

The university is criticised for offering scholarships. 

I continue to be amazed at how critical the people with money are of organisations that give something to the poor. 

Their reason for giving is irrelevant. 

My mother always said, never look a gift horse in the mouth. 

You are still missing the  point being that was being made  - but that's not unusual. 

As for land or vehicles / loan sharks, yes that's how it's done by poor rural people, and as for student loans -  these have to be paid back, must be so easy for the very low earning rural people of which you seem completely unaware of. 

No need to reply as you will still be way off what my original comment was about. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'll take that bet

Doubting even one thread on TVF and much less major news. Quite a stretch comparing this to either recent Tsunami, 911 or even the Peru miner rescue. For one thing it is much more difficult to have the same empathy for an event that for the most part was self-inflicted and then prolonged by poor logistics early on. The heroic water rescue was really the compelling story.

8 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Doubting even one thread on TVF and much less major news. Quite a stretch comparing this to either recent Tsunami, 911 or even the Peru miner rescue. For one thing it is much more difficult to have the same empathy for an event that for the most part was self-inflicted and then prolonged by poor logistics early on. The heroic water rescue was really the compelling story.

Yes, people still remember the Chile rescue. Maybe not you. It was in Chile, not Peru.

I think the Thailand cave boys will have even longer reach because of the international cooperation and drama aspect of them being children. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, people still remember the Chile rescue. Maybe not you. It was in Chile, not Peru.

I think the Thailand cave boys will have even longer reach because of the international cooperation and drama aspect of them being children. 

Sorry, your correct about Chile but suspect you are caught up in the frenzy because of the emotional capital you along with many invested in this drama. I can assure you the worldwide attention span is much shorter and will be replaced by the death of some actor/musician in the next couple days. We shall see in thirty days but pretty sure we both will forget about our bet.

4 hours ago, chainarong said:

Not sounding ungrateful but the standard of education the Wild Boars get and what is required for entry into Naresuan are entirely different worlds and bearing in mind that not one cap fits all , not everyone on the team has the capability of doing a UNI degree.

"...not everyone on the team has the capability of doing a UNI degree."

How do you know? 

Which of the twelve are the incapable ones?

2 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Sorry, your correct about Chile but suspect you are caught up in the frenzy because of the emotional capital you along with many invested in this drama. I can assure you the worldwide attention span is much shorter and will be replaced by the death of some actor/musician in the next couple days. We shall see in thirty days but pretty sure we both will forget about our bet.

So dude, you think the multiple movies and documentaries already stemming from the cave thing are all going to be cancelled? I think you're tripping. 

30 minutes ago, Artisi said:

You are still missing the  point being that was being made  - but that's not unusual. 

As for land or vehicles / loan sharks, yes that's how it's done by poor rural people, and as for student loans -  these have to be paid back, must be so easy for the very low earning rural people of which you seem completely unaware of. 

No need to reply as you will still be way off what my original comment was about. 

I know what the point of your comment is about. You feel another person that had studied hard would be more deserving. 

And you feel the director only made the offer to grandstand himself. 

Of which you are correct in both areas. 

Though I am of the opinion that we should celebrate  anyone that is underprivileged that can get a free leg up the social ladder. This one got it and that one didn't. 

The reasons behind the gift are irrelevant. They are stateless, they are poor  ( though they don't look it to me ) , so I can be happy for them. 

Why can't people just be happy for them. 

12 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

I can assure you the worldwide attention span is much shorter and will be replaced by the death of some actor/musician in the next couple days. We shall see in thirty days but pretty sure we both will forget about our bet.

No sign of it on CNN's web page today. The audience has left and the cleaners are sweeping away the popcorn from the floor.

10 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I know what the point of your comment is about. You feel another person that had studied hard would be more deserving. 

And you feel the director only made the offer to grandstand himself. 

Of which you are correct in both areas. 

Though I am of the opinion that we should celebrate  anyone that is underprivileged that can get a free leg up the social ladder. This one got it and that one didn't. 

The reasons behind the gift are irrelevant. They are stateless, they are poor  ( though they don't look it to me ) , so I can be happy for them. 

Why can't people just be happy for them. 

It's herself - - and typical, would cut her own mother's throat to her own advantage. 

46 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

How many people remember the dual murder in koh tao? The scapegoats from Burma still in jail? What about the Thai cop who killed the tourists in kanchanaburi?

Things are forgotten quickly in Thailand.

Situations involving foreigners are deemed not important, unless the foreigners are helping the Thais.

The blue diamond affair?

Chalerm's son? Red Bull guy?

I'd bet that none of these guys finish a degree at NU, all talk. After working there, I know the discrimination that is given to people of different ethnic backgrounds.

these 13 are like a one hit, lip syncing ''boy band'' in the right place at the right time, they will get old, lose their hair and a few will end up in jail...but for now, let the good times roll...''life is about luck and timeing'' and these lads nailed it...

1 minute ago, mok199 said:

these 13 are like a ''boy band'', they will get old, lose their hair and a few will end up in jail...but for now, let the good times roll...

Yes, I agree with that.

Danger and opportunity.

But definitely much more opportunity than they had before. 

A few at least may play it right for the long term. 

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

You are right on the spot with this comment. What the university should do is to make the offer, if the boys can show that they are worthy of such a gift regarding education success they will later have the possibility to recieve such a gift. 

Why not make the coach the PRIME MINISTER and the rest of the Wild Boar gang MINISTERS?

2 minutes ago, aloha23 said:

Why not make the coach the PRIME MINISTER and the rest of the Wild Boar gang MINISTERS?

Can't be any worse than the current bunch of idiots.

5 hours ago, chainarong said:

Not sounding ungrateful but the standard of education the Wild Boars get and what is required for entry into Naresuan are entirely different worlds and bearing in mind that not one cap fits all , not everyone on the team has the capability of doing a UNI degree.

they will get a CAVE ENGINEERING PHD... based on experience.

5 minutes ago, aloha23 said:

Now you got me confused.....hmmm???? Can you please start with the relevance of your comment to the offered gift?

I just can´t get that together, but maybe that´s just me.

18 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Are you serious. what pathetic excuse for a man you are. 

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, sorry you missed the idiomatic content, would you like it explained to you?

12 hours ago, pmh2009 said:

What about for the ex-seal who died??? Who is taking care of his funeral and family???

Reported in the national press a few days ago:

"The Comptroller General's Department said it will give 495,000 baht to the family of former Navy Seal Saman. Of the sum, 45,000 baht will be used for his funeral rites and the rest given to his family."

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

How many people remember the dual murder in koh tao? The scapegoats from Burma still in jail? What about the Thai cop who killed the tourists in kanchanaburi?

Things are forgotten quickly in Thailand.

The media everywhere in the world has a short attention span. Hopefully they'll be able to capitalise on these generous offers quickly. Most important is citizenship for those without it, any other opportunities can't be realised until they have this. 

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, sorry you missed the idiomatic content, would you like it explained to you?

No. 

I have tried to be patient with you. But honestly, there are limits to how patient a person can be. 

Archived