Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Naresuan University offers 13 ‘Wild Boars’ full scholarships

Recommended Posts

Just now, greenchair said:

The opportunity to offer them scholarships will be gone in 8 years. 

So now is most likely the best time. 

They are fit kids and very involved with community activities, so it's also likely that they are well behaved students. Having kids like that at a university is always a plus. 

 

Well at least I hope the university keeps its promise.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Artisi said:

nothing wrong with what you are saying ---  but bear in mind there are thousands of kids in Thailand who don't have this opportunity and also be aware there are many families in extreme debt endeavouring to educate their kids.

This offer from NU is badly thought out and inappropriate, confirmed by many in the Thai social media along with many senior academics at NU. 

 

Have the kids of the diver who gave his life in the rescue attempt been offered the same scholarships?

 

It is simply grandstanding to make a name.

I don't disagree with you. There are much better ways this could have been done. It looks like the family of Sanam are going to be well taken care of though. But let's not forget where we are. Things are rarely thought out, and no one passes a cheque without a thousand camera flashes capturing the moment, so if 13 kids get a scholarship out of it, good for them. A few of them especially could do with a break or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Artisi said:

nothing wrong with what you are saying ---  but bear in mind there are thousands of kids in Thailand who don't have this opportunity and also be aware there are many families in extreme debt endeavouring to educate their kids.

This offer from NU is badly thought out and inappropriate, confirmed by many in the Thai social media along with many senior academics at NU. 

 

Have the kids of the diver who gave his life in the rescue attempt been offered the same scholarships?

 

It is simply grandstanding to make a name.

My son is a top student. He won a first place scholarship in a top high school.  I spent every penny I could find to get him private teachers that could teach at his advanced level. Sometimes we would eat rice and egg for a week and my credit card is full to the brim. 

The people that complained most about his scholarship were the rich parents that were absolutely livid that a poor child could get free education, whilst they had to pay.

Most poor people are really happy to see another poor person get some free education , just as me and my poor son are ecstatically happy for the 13 poor boys to get a hand up the ladder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
These kids their attitude and how they survived should be a lesson for all of Thailand.  These kids and their coach are the future of Thailand.
 
Haha really, I think their stupidity to have gone in the cave should be the lesson taken from this.....Here's hoping that this kind of stupidity is not the future of Thailand...


Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Their offer should politely be put on hold. A University place should be earned, and I'm sure the students who studied for years to get there would agree.

The OP says (in English) that the university will waive the tuition fees. It doesn't say that they automatically will be accepted for admission. If correct, sounds fair enough.

 

Maybe the Thai text is different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about for the ex-seal who died??? Who is taking care of his funeral and family???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the forgotten, the disenfranchised there is greater gift than knowledge.  Knowledge is power and they can one day benefit their entire community.  The university did a smart thing, a decent thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greenchair said:

My son is a top student. He won a first place scholarship in a top high school.  I spent every penny I could find to get him private teachers that could teach at his advanced level. Sometimes we would eat rice and egg for a week and my credit card is full to the brim. 

The people that complained most about his scholarship were the rich parents that were absolutely livid that a poor child could get free education, whilst they had to pay.

Most poor people are really happy to see another poor person get some free education , just as me and my poor son are ecstatically happy for the 13 poor boys to get a hand up the ladder. 

Hope you could eat rice and egg for 3 meals a day. Having taught for many years at the Uni in question, I know that some students and parents would be more than happy for rice and egg 3 times a day - and they didn't have a credit card to max-out - just loan sharks to keep happy.

But all that is missing the point, my point was - the president is grandstanding to make a name for herself - that is the one and only reason for the offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, pmh2009 said:

What about for the ex-seal who died??? Who is taking care of his funeral and family???

His funeral was hosted from the VERY top from what I hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a nice gesture and hope most of them can take advantage of that or even better opportunities. However, it's a TEAM and I think they should also also include the members that by chance didn't enter that cave. I doubt most would agree but I think that would be an even nicer gesture. 

 

The odds were really strongly against all the trapped getting out alive. That they did is at least on the verge of miraculous.

 

Life is unfair. They were very nearly doomed. Now they're going to get special breaks in life. Oh well! I say go ahead and shower them with privilege.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The message is get stuck in a cave and you'll be handsomely rewarded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is clear the rescue is over and all the cheerleaders have left the stadium. Next week the kids can trade in that trip to the World Cup for a McDonalds happy meal.

Next heartfelt moment just around the corner !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Hope you could eat rice and egg for 3 meals a day. Having taught for many years at the Uni in question, I know that some students and parents would be more than happy for rice and egg 3 times a day - and they didn't have a credit card to max-out - just loan sharks to keep happy.

But all that is missing the point, my point was - the president is grandstanding to make a name for herself - that is the one and only reason for the offer.

So what you are saying is that some parents didn't even have 3 meals a day so that their kids could attend. Which is absolutely rediculous and just not true. In order to get money from a loan shark, one must have assets such as land or vehicle. Not to mention that low income thai children are all entitled to student loans to fund university, same as every other country. Where as these stateless children are not entitled to that. 

Thai airways got criticised for offering free tickets. 

The university is criticised for offering scholarships. 

I continue to be amazed at how critical the people with money are of organisations that give something to the poor. 

Their reason for giving is irrelevant. 

My mother always said, never look a gift horse in the mouth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The message is get stuck in a cave and you'll be handsomely rewarded?

Not exactly.

Looking at what happened objectively, their odds of survival were not good.

They were subject of one of the most dramatic amazing rescue operations in the world history.

So then "won" a lottery of sorts just being alive.

It's natural to treat them as special now. 

It may not be rational, but it's very human. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...