New conundrum (Thai "regulation)

wwest5829

Once upon a time... OK, bit of entertainment, bit of a head shaking (yet again). Decided to buy a new motorbike after 7 years here as a retiree. So, a new Yamaha Aerox 155 (seems I've gained some weight and the old Airblade 110 was just not getting up the steep hills). Traded in the old bike for 10K. So, need "Residence Certificate" to sell old bike and another one to buy new bike. Out to Immigration on the 2nd Floor of Promenada. Present the required Passport pages, photos and 1000 baht (2 seperate Certificates required coming back the following afternoon to pick up). Next go to Yamaha to hand over certificates. Oh, says she, we need your Passport. Why, says I? I had to establish Passport verified information to get the Resident Certificate. New reqirement by Transport Office, says she, we will return the Passport in 2 days time. I state I have lived here 7 years so I understand need to fulfill regulations but...I go through the steps I have already taken and in a most understanding presentation and voice point out that this is "stupid" as Thai Law also states I am to have my Passport in my possession if asked by authorities. Never ending "new regulations by new boss". Yes, yes ...jai yen, yen....

Why do we need two residence cert just to sell and buy? Can't we use the same cert?

Original passport is always required for official transactions, nothing changed about this.

Someone can masquerade you if there's no original passport.

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

Why do we need two residence cert just to sell and buy? Can't we use the same cert?

Original passport is always required for official transactions, nothing changed about this.

Someone can masquerade you if there's no original passport.

You need a original residence cert  for each transaction

Never heard of taking passport

i took mine to register my motor bike

With the Honda person with me

No need to give the Dealer your passport

6 minutes ago, Lizard2010 said:

You need a original residence cert  for each transaction

Never heard of taking passport

i took mine to register my motor bike

With the Honda person with me

No need to give the Dealer your passport

The last time (more than one year ago) I registered my motorbike, I brought along my original passport just in case.

The govt official at vehicle registration counter did request to see my passport in addition to residence cert.

You should know that Thailand just loves documents. tons and tons of paperwork and photocopying is the norm.

The photocopying shop beside immigration office most probably can afford to buy a few houses.

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

The last time (more than one year ago) I registered my motorbike, I brought along my original passport just in case.

The govt official at vehicle registration counter did request to see my passport.

Mine was 2 years ago

Same Govt Official asked to see passport

Maybe Yamaha  dealer is differanty

I will ask a mate who has just bought a Yamaha

What was his experence

No way can they request to keep your passport for 2 days. You should have requested to see the manager . There is no way a Thai would hand over their ID card for 2 days and there is no way a foreigner should be requested to hand over their passport for any longer than it takes to do a quick photocopy.

2 minutes ago, cmsally said:

No way can they request to keep your passport for 2 days. You should have requested to see the manager . There is no way a Thai would hand over their ID card for 2 days and there is no way a foreigner should be requested to hand over their passport for any longer than it takes to do a quick photocopy.

Yes our passports are worth a lot of money on the black market

They say its Liquid Gold

I think it is Yamaha not the land department who says they need your certificate for two days.... As posted above the land dept want to just see it not retain it for two days... If you were to do all the paperwork yourself instead of having the dealership do it you would not have to give up your passport for the few days... personally I would not sweat it as I would have no desire to spend any time at the land dept...:coffee1:

36 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I think it is Yamaha not the land department who says they need your certificate for two days.... As posted above the land dept want to just see it not retain it for two days... If you were to do all the paperwork yourself instead of having the dealership do it you would not have to give up your passport for the few days... personally I would not sweat it as I would have no desire to spend any time at the land dept...:coffee1:

If they needed to do any paperwork , a copy of passport  would suffice. I believe the only time your passport can be taken off you is to prevent you leaving the country and even then I think they need a court order to do it. Either it is a misunderstanding or the Yamaha dealership seriously needs putting in line.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:14 AM, eyecatcher said:

Theres no way I am going through another performance of getting another yellow book then just to get new bike.

Yellow book trumps residence cert  ten fold!

I've got to say, when I got my yellow book from the Saraphi office, I was pleasantly surprised when the office manager told me there was no charge. He also delivered it with a colleague a week later and had a photo taken with me.

On 7/14/2018 at 10:27 AM, PGThompson1 said:

I've got to say, when I got my yellow book from the Saraphi office, I was pleasantly surprised when the office manager told me there was no charge. He also delivered it with a colleague a week later and had a photo taken with me.

At the very same office we had right grumpy hiso who just liked to have the power of making people sit and wait while they played on the phone,made coffee,had a natter with someone.

two half days of sitting there and didnt even have the courtesy to speak to me.

On reflection and three years later it has been the most useless document i have carried around with me every day. Buying a car or bike is possibly the only benefit.

Archived