BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grumpy Old Man

Thai business owners who think they own the public road

On 7/13/2018 at 2:36 PM, seancbk said:

It's common courtesy to leave the spot outside a shop for the owner. 

Parking in general in Thailand is an issue.    One poster suggested the fault in the matter needs to be shared by the road  planning members but that's not really addressing the  situation at hand.

While I personally would  not follow the actions of the OP  I fully understand his frustrations in dealing with business owners who  genuinely believe    "It's common courtesy to leave the spot outside a shop for the owner. "        I guess I'm uncommon.

What's not to like about a fellow who carries bolt cutters in the bed of his truck.     He must be trusting of others not to steal his cutters.

I'd probably consider a stand more often but the risk is all on the person parking.     I don't want to come back to my car and find I need a new paint job.   Maybe I'd feel different if my car was a "beater"?

On 7/13/2018 at 2:48 PM, kannot said:
On 7/13/2018 at 3:27 PM, Maejo Man said:

The witch's hats are my favourite, I just gently reverse into them and move them further along. For chairs I actually get out of the car and move them onto the pavement.

I had a business some years ago in a shophouse, but never placed anything in the road to "reserve" my space. To my mind it's a public road, but there again, I do not have Thai mentality, despite having living here for well over 30 years.

Didn't you know   "It's common courtesy to leave the spot outside a shop for the owner. "?      ?

On 7/13/2018 at 3:43 PM, seancbk said:

I expect most customers to be on foot, having parked in a proper car park somewhere.    

?

555   555

I like your sense of humor (humour).

45 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I had the same issue at my last house. It was a townhouse in a mubaan and people could park against a wall of the adjacent building. My townhouse was only 2 from the end and would often park a long way back or double park and block my drive. I came home one day a a car had double parked blocking my drive so I parked right up behind so had no chance getting out. A little while later the owner returned and looked in dismay as how she was going to get out. I came out of house and she asked me was this my car. I replied yes and she started getting agro as she could not get out. I pointed out that I lived there and because of her selfish parking I could not get into my house. I pointed out that I would talk to the gate guards who I was friend with and stop her entering the mubaan. She then became very apologetic.  

Another night someone parked back from the wall and partially blocked my drive. As I carefully edged into my drive watching their car i hit my brick fence damaging my car. I noticed when the other car finally left it had 2 broken tail lights. Don't know how that happened.

You should had removed its frontwheels......

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, Trujillo said:

Is that an actual photo of you in your avatar? 

Did you explain the law to them in Thai? If not, you might as well be clucking like a chicken for all the good it would do you. 

Having said that, I feel your pain. At some point, however, you should understand that your car will be "keyed" by someone, or your tires slashed. Just FYI.

The very last time I parked "downtown" was several years ago. I noticed the shop owner on the opposite side of the road from the temple just down the street from the Lost Bookstore gesturing toward me. I came back and closely examined my pickup, found that it had been marked on the tailgate, possibly with a piece of wood. Easily polished out, but now I park at Kad Suan Kaew and take a song taew to the old city, much less stressful.

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Didn't you know   "It's common courtesy to leave the spot outside a shop for the owner. "?      ?

Yeah right, so the unlicensed shop owner can park his untaxed, uninsured vehicle.

1 hour ago, rickjza said:

Yeah right, so the unlicensed shop owner can park his untaxed, uninsured vehicle.

Everyone should know the small shop owners have every right in the world.

At least  they think so.

i know a place in cm they is a like a roller door entrance to the house.the old lady will sit they all night if someone parks in front will come and say can not.the daughter will come home the roller door will open cars goes in or parks in the space in front of the house.one night someone did park they and the police were called many of them.the daughter could have parked just down the road and waited until  they left.

this went on for  a while the thai neighbours tried to help but this failed.in time the car owner come and moved.the thai police gave a ticket i think.it was fun to watch at the way it folded out.all that could have happened was the daughter parked down the road waited until the car left and then return.the mother and daughter on the phone,the police they thinking what to do next.all could be avoided  with common sense,this is thailand 

Ten got into a heated argument with two men who were trying to steal the mirrors off his car, 

todays news.   Now he is dead.    hard to control our emotions.   sometimes it does not work out

well.