Thai business owners who think they own the public road

Grumpy Old Man

54 minutes ago, seancbk said:

No, but I'd expect to be able to park outside my shop.   What if I needed to do regular deliveries and needed to be parked there to pickup/drop-off stuff?  

It's common courtesy to leave the spot outside a shop for the owner. 

Unless there is a parking meter outside the shop, everywhere I've lived in Asia treats spaces outside shops as for the use of the shop.

I think you are already living too long in this country. You have lost your sense of justice. There is no law here that guarantees the space outside from a shop house or other property to its owner. 

If you need this space you could ask the government. Maybe they will rent it to you...:)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, digbeth said:
1 hour ago, seancbk said:

No, but I'd expect to be able to park outside my shop.   What if I needed to do regular deliveries and needed to be parked there to pickup/drop-off stuff?  

Unless there is a parking meter outside the shop, everywhere I've lived in Asia treats spaces outside shops as for the use of the shop.

Where do your customers park then? in front of other people's business?

I expect most customers to be on foot, having parked in a proper car park somewhere.    

If I owned or rented a shop I would consider the parking out front to be mine.   

You might consider it to be yours but its obviously not.Delivery vehicles are used to double parking while they load/unload.

One of the reasons my trips to the old city in our car are limited to about once a month now is there is no parking anywhere.

I've even taken to parking in some temples and dropping 20 baht in the donation box and walking away with a feeling of guilt !

I think the OP and some other posters actively seek out angry shop owners.

Carrying bolt cutters and removing chains? I call BS that never happened probably

a rage fuelled fantasy after being shooed off by an upstart Thai.

The only time I have had an issue parking outside back shop a guy came out and ushered me forward 

6 feet and we both carried on with our day.

4 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Is that an actual photo of you in your avatar? 

Did you explain the law to them in Thai? If not, you might as well be clucking like a chicken for all the good it would do you. 

Having said that, I feel your pain. At some point, however, you should understand that your car will be "keyed" by someone, or your tires slashed. Just FYI.

As I've said before Thais can be very vindictive people. Take extra care if you cross someone. 

Is that what happens any other place in the world, that the shop owner also owns the space outside his shop? Where are customers supposed to park if the owner has a car there. Ridiculous, never known anywhere where that space is reserved for the owner.

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Thais also choose how to deal with their experiences, which will at some stage result in you ending up in   or worse...

Good luck with the next one, is it really worth it ??

i admire the OP but as you say 1, is it really worth it 2,  hospital/jail 3, they damage your car 

27 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Carrying bolt cutters and removing chains? I call BS that never happened probably

The only time I have had an issue parking outside back shop a guy came out and ushered me forward 

And many Thai's have guns which would trump bolt cutters anytime. That said I tend to agree with your assessment, likely a fantasy post from the op. 

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Hells teeth Jock the battle of Bannockburn is long past, you trying for a battle Jock versus Thai?

Aye, but the boys in skirts can fight one on one, unlike most Thais.:cheesy:

4 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I would never put a photo of myself as an avatar. This world contains people who can get offended at slight matters and knowing what you look like means it may be possible to find you. 

The guy in the avatar just looks like most farangs (the face I mean, unless there's the absence of a fat belly and tattoos).

How many guys could pick out that avatar photo in Bangkok or Pattaya?

44 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

IMG_0953.jpeg

This is not just Thai business owners .Many bars and restaurants foreign managed do exactly the same thing .However much you disagree its best to fined another place to avoid paint damage to your car . 

They own the sidewalks unless "the law" removes them temporarily. then they return. If a "member of the public" push any of their "fake Junk or poisoned food stand' to get by, then you could be subject to verbal or physical abuse.You'll never change attitude here in a million years

3 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

They own the sidewalks unless "the law" removes them temporarily. then they return. If a "member of the public" push any of their "fake Junk or poisoned food stand' to get by, then you could be subject to verbal or physical abuse.You'll never change attitude here in a million years

OP is not talking about sidewalks. It's about a public road which he pays tax for to use.

Archived