Thai business owners who think they own the public road

Grumpy Old Man

19 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Mr Grumpy might have those bolt cutters in the truck to use as "toe" cutters to anyone who tries to irritate him

I suspect if the "Grumpy Old Man" is having his parking discussion with a male shopkeeper it will not be a toe he would be looking to cut off.
Any local Thai choirs looking for a soprano?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Parking spots in CM central are rare as gold , I can understand why they would reserve for their customers.

What I don't understand is with the rarity of parking spot and the small spots, why are there so many people with large cars hoarding half the road?

CM central is only suitable for bikes and small cars.

Agree. I only take my scooter into central CM. Can park just about anywhere. I've given up on taking my car in there.

I disagree with that statement. Just because the rationale is different to your upbringing and what you conceive to be correct, does not make it irrational. And if you have been treated or have viewed others being treated as if you are "nothing" then I suggest you take a good long, hard look at yourself and try to understand why you receive no respect.

อึนก  ฝรั่ง comes to mind and I hear it when a lot when I go to places heavily populated by westerners in singlets or 200 baht knock off t-shirts, shorts and flip flops.

In your rationale public roads and Similar are the possession of who ever happens to be near or claims it? Ahh I see! Nothing to do with t shirts and flip flops !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, markaoffy said:

In your rationale public roads and Similar are the possession of who ever happens to be near or claims it?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Is that a statement or a question? If it is a statement, then sorry but that is incorrect. That is not my rationale at all. I simply stated that your saying the Thai's rationale is irrational in fact isn't, but is really only different to yours.

If it is a question, then my answer is no.

18 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

If there is driveway in front of the shopfront, it is illegal for a car to block it so the renter can get in and out. However, it is almost impossible to keep the space free.

A  driveway  is  not a parking  area. What  is  the  debate  in that?

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, rickjza said:

Try double parking (blocking one lane), 

I think this is acceptable as I see it so often.

Probably a healthy option also - less risk to your life.

They were triple parking yesterday in Udon Thani town centre.

On 7/14/2018 at 6:51 AM, Lacessit said:

Agree. I only take my scooter into central CM. Can park just about anywhere. I've given up on taking my car in there.

Good for you that you are still alive. But of course it's a choice between pest and cholera. I will always take my SUV even I've to look for parking for no longer than 10 minutes. I'm used to be patient since I'm retired. And you.....? 

5 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Good for you that you are still alive. But of course it's a choice between pest and cholera. I will always take my SUV even I've to look for parking for no longer than 10 minutes. I'm used to be patient since I'm retired. And you.....? 

You might explain the reference to pest and cholera, because I don't understand it. Yes, I am retired.

Presumably you are not Thai, because I find the spectacle of SUV's trying to park at a shopping mall anywhere here quite entertaining.

I do admit to losing patience with Somchai doing 40 km/hr on the 118 when the speed limit is 90 km/hr. Or moving away from a green light trying to imitate a snail.

Despite the reputation of Thai roads as being the most deadly, I've been navigating them for 9 years now accident-free. It's all about defensive driving, scooter or car.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You might explain the reference to pest and cholera, because I don't understand it. Yes, I am retired.

Presumably you are not Thai, because I find the spectacle of SUV's trying to park at a shopping mall anywhere here quite entertaining.

I do admit to losing patience with Somchai doing 40 km/hr on the 118 when the speed limit is 90 km/hr. Or moving away from a green light trying to imitate a snail.

Despite the reputation of Thai roads as being the most deadly, I've been navigating them for 9 years now accident-free. It's all about defensive driving, scooter or car.

No that's not. I suppose you don't have safety belts and air bags on your bike, don't you? So I want to survive on Thailand's roads, but others take the risk to end up earlier at a Cremation. No risk no fun, isn't it? 

On 7/13/2018 at 2:24 PM, Bill97 said:

Another farang kicked ass for principle. Great he told us all about it.

How many of you guys and gals Cary bolt cutters in your vehicle?

I will be buying some this week, I had never considered this before. It's a good idea

On 7/13/2018 at 2:36 PM, seancbk said:

No, but I'd expect to be able to park outside my shop.   What if I needed to do regular deliveries and needed to be parked there to pickup/drop-off stuff?  

It's common courtesy to leave the spot outside a shop for the owner. 

Unless there is a parking meter outside the shop, everywhere I've lived in Asia treats spaces outside shops as for the use of the shop.

and this is where you are wrong . I see so often where the shop owner or staff park in the prime parking spots that should be left vacant for customers ( basic business logic ) .  What the Thai shop owners are fighting against are the selfish Thai motorists who will park their car outside of the shop for hours on end without any consideration for the vendors trading . Also deliveries are nearly always carried out by double parking ( like it or not )

If and when I have to park outside of a shop I often make a purchase and tell them I will be back in 10 minutes and there is never a problem .

On 7/13/2018 at 4:29 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Nice to hear somebody has the balls to act like that and doesn't shit his pants for every local (or any other foreigner).

Have a felling that a drop too much of the hard stuff may have had an influence on this possible fictitious post . If true I can imagine the state of the ops car , never the less a good post that has probably been experienced by most of us non Thais .  

20 minutes ago, superal said:

Have a felling that a drop too much of the hard stuff may have had an influence on this possible fictitious post . If true I can imagine the state of the ops car , never the less a good post that has probably been experienced by most of us non Thais .  

Bla bla bla

not been stabbed yet i presume, and when it happens Thai man will say, you attacked him first, he in fear of his life., lol,, fancy a box of chocolates do you, or maybe some flowers, hopefully not on your coffin

A legal unrestricted vehicle space on a municipal road is the issue at the hand.

I commend the OP..

A key scratch or worse from any belligerent individual who is acting like, my cat trying to exert territory beyond our freehold, will always come to grief.

15 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

No that's not. I suppose you don't have safety belts and air bags on your bike, don't you? So I want to survive on Thailand's roads, but others take the risk to end up earlier at a Cremation. No risk no fun, isn't it? 

Relying on safety belts and airbags won't help you if your SUV is hit by a cement truck running a red light. That's passive safety.

Active safety consists of constantly assessing risks at 360 degrees, and using anticipation accordingly. I rarely travel at more than 40 km/hr on the scooter, so my evasion and stopping ability is quite good. Probably better than a SUV.

Do you travel at night? I don't. That's by far the most dangerous time to be on Thai roads.

Archived