One Bangkok driver faces 16 lane changing fines - but he hasn't paid one yet!

webfact

One Bangkok driver faces 16 lane changing fines - but he hasn't paid one yet!

7pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Traffic police in Bangkok have revealed that one driver has broken the law a whopping sixteen times in the same location at the same time.

But the driver hasn't paid a single fine yet.

Pol Col Kitti Ariyanont was talking to Daily News about the first two months of operation of the lane change cameras at locations on the Bangkok roads.

The record for offences was a black Chevrolet caught sixteen times in the Baromratchachonnanee area. Pol Col Kitti said that if the driver doesn't pay the fines he will have to pay them all at the Department of Land Transport when he comes to renew his license.

In the first two months 1,301,604 drivers have been snapped doing illegal lane changing.

However, after studying video evidence only 70,000 of these were deemed serious enough to warrant the issue of fines.

Many have already paid fines, said Kitti.

Worst offenders were at locations in Din Daeng, Huay Khwang, Sirirat and near the government complex in Chaeng Wattana.

The cameras started operation on May 9th of this year.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-13

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

Traffic police in Bangkok have revealed that one driver has broken the law a whopping sixteen times in the same location at the same time.

I sense a pattern forming here.

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

So 1 driver has broke the law 16 times  !!

What have the police done about it?

Same as always all talk no action, pathetic.

Waiting for him to try to renew his/her license is a cop out, he/she should have 21 days to pay it or challenge it, after that if they don't hear from him/her, arrest warrant issued, go around and arrest him/her, pay the fines, release, simple really.

I mean do they know if he/she has a bloody license in the first place ?

I don't know about others but changing lanes is like national sport in this country, why i myself change lanes often, otherwise driving in BKK is next to impossible that is if you want to get somewhere before you either run out of petrol or blow a blood vessel in your neck...

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

So 1 driver has broke the law 16 times  !!

What have the police done about it?

Same as always all talk no action, pathetic.

Not sure but in Oz I don't think they go chasing the perp but if pulled over by a patrol then a quick computer check shows oustandings. 

It's then in the patrol car back to the station etc.

Car impounded and if nothing is paid in a certain time the car becomes a small cube and the cost is added.

Imagine that happening here with a six month old merc'

??

I wonder how they could review more than 1.3 million videos in such a short period of time and end up with only 70,000 serious offenses.

If the software do it, that's fine. If they have to do it themselves, that's technically impossible

3 hours ago, webfact said:

However, after studying video evidence only 70,000 of these were deemed serious enough to warrant the issue of fines.

I already was afraid this would be a completely automated system where the law applies equally to everybody.

Luckily there is a human element involved, so no "important" people get fined (which is everybody who knows somebody, everyone owning an imported car, everybody working for the government and having over 5 medals for handling paperwork, etc).

Well it seems some fat-arsed coppers, should get off their backsides, put down their “TEA CUPS” and go arrest these Imbeciles.

A few days in the Lock-up, might have a Wonderful Double Banger effect.

1: Make them cough-up their FINES before release.

2: Convince them that BAD DRIVING , simply isn’t worth spending time in “The Cooler,” rubbing shoulders ( and maybe other Bodily Bits) with some of the “Finest Folks” Thailand has been forced to encaerate. 

If this is an automatic system from a video camera then I assume the tickets or mailed to his last known mailing address, If he’s getting a violation every single day then it’s possible to get multiple tickets before the first one reached his mailbox

If his actions don’t change then either he doesn’t know about the video camera or doesn’t think there will be consequences when he tries to renew his car registration

A local guy I know showed me a pic he had been sent in the post from the police. The pic was of him doing something he shouldn’t have been doing when driving. He received a fine. He was caught bang to rights. But no! He wasn’t having any it. He was so indignant that anyone would dare accuse him of doing something he had so blatantly done. He said he’d speak to his police friend to get the ticket cancelled. 

The attitide was astonishing. Zero concept of right and wrong. 

On 7/13/2018 at 11:18 AM, webfact said:

Pol Col Kitti said that if the driver doesn't pay the fines he will have to pay them all at the Department of Land Transport when he comes to renew his license.

The driver obviously takes this route every day so it's not gonna be difficult to pick him up/ arrest for non-payment.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:10 AM, Just Weird said:

4 every second, not 15.

1,300,000 divided by 60 (days) = 21,666

21,666 divided by 24 (hours) = 902

902 divided by 60 (minutes) = 15

So, 15 per minute is correct, or 1 every four seconds. We were both wrong. Apologies for the error everyone. 

On 7/13/2018 at 12:56 PM, Wiggy said:

1.3 million photos in two months? That equates to 15 law infringements every second. The hub of lane changing?

My calculation 60 days x 24 hours x 3600 s/hr divide by 1.3 million = one illegality every 4 seconds!

3 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

My calculation 60 days x 24 hours x 3600 s/hr divide by 1.3 million = one illegality every 4 seconds!

That’s correct. I have since corrected my original calculation in an earlier post. 

They must have been bored after  looking at all the photos for more than 10  minutes after whittling down 1  million + to 70k another thing to remember is maybe his vehicle is  still registered at an old  address and he doesnt even know.

Archived