Central Plaza Parking

sceadugenga

In the last few months I've had no problem getting an undercover park between 11am and noon.

The outside carparks all look full and I can understand giving up and going to the temporary parking area south of the plaza but if you're early the undercover carpark is always worth a drive through.

I was 50m from Tops today with spare parks all around me.

Parking at Central today was pathetic. We arrived at 1015 to go to Tops which opens at 1000. The front entrance into the car park was still closed with security guards telling to move along. I got inside but all parking was closed off with security everywhere. We went and had something to eat driving out what I call the back entrance. There were many car parked there in the open.

We returned at 1100 and turned off Phahalyothin Rd into the entrance of Central. We sat there for 8 minutes before we could proceed. It looked like the staff that had been made park in the open were trying to move their cars to underground. Eventually I got a park underground because i could not go any where else. We left at 1230 and someone was trying to park us in. Not impressed with Central attitude to early customers.

Central parking Chiang Rai has a huge thumb down.  

?

On 7/17/2018 at 7:17 PM, ripstanley said:

Parking at Central today was pathetic. We arrived at 1015 to go to Tops which opens at 1000. The front entrance into the car park was still closed with security guards telling to move along. I got inside but all parking was closed off with security everywhere. We went and had something to eat driving out what I call the back entrance. There were many car parked there in the open.

We returned at 1100 and turned off Phahalyothin Rd into the entrance of Central. We sat there for 8 minutes before we could proceed. It looked like the staff that had been made park in the open were trying to move their cars to underground. Eventually I got a park underground because i could not go any where else. We left at 1230 and someone was trying to park us in. Not impressed with Central attitude to early customers.

Central parking Chiang Rai has a huge thumb down.  

?

Tuesday morning they had some sort of briefing for all the staff at 10.00am - I know because I was sitting in Starbucks watching. 

That said, they do rather seem to have a commercial death wish don't they, closing off some 30% of the parking area for a shopping mall on the outer edge of town. Big C is not much better - but then I suppose that parking will not be a problem when they move to the Ginormous C out near the airport!

I doubt very much that all the Central staff were at a single briefing - it wouldn't be logistically feasible - or maybe you meant the Starbucks staff?

I personally don't spend any time in Starbucks Central (or McDonalds, burger bars etc) , after all I could do that in the USA, and I'm sure your knowledge of Starbucks is much greater than mine; but aren't they on the 1st floor (UK numbering) and therefore closed before 11?

Back to facts: 30% of the parking is not closed off. Central opens at 11, it does all over Thailand, and has done ever since there's been Centrals.

Sadly, the commercial deathwish that forum experts have wished upon Central since prior to its opening has not materialised except in the fantasies of disgruntled expats. But we live in hope.

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

I doubt very much that all the Central staff were at a single briefing - it wouldn't be logistically feasible - or maybe you meant the Starbucks staff?

I personally don't spend any time in Starbucks Central (or McDonalds, burger bars etc) , after all I could do that in the USA, and I'm sure your knowledge of Starbucks is much greater than mine; but aren't they on the 1st floor (UK numbering) and therefore closed before 11?

Back to facts: 30% of the parking is not closed off. Central opens at 11, it does all over Thailand, and has done ever since there's been Centrals.

Sadly, the commercial deathwish that forum experts have wished upon Central since prior to its opening has not materialised except in the fantasies of disgruntled expats. But we live in hope.

Sorry to say, on weekends central opens at 10.00am .Question? why be so aggressive ...

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Tuesday morning they had some sort of briefing for all the staff at 10.00am - I know because I was sitting in Starbucks watching. 

That said, they do rather seem to have a commercial death wish don't they, closing off some 30% of the parking area for a shopping mall on the outer edge of town. Big C is not much better - but then I suppose that parking will not be a problem when they move to the Ginormous C out near the airport!

I always go there early , 11.00am , always get a park . even with all the work going on , plus all the red tape everywhere.Never go on weekends when it opens at 10.00am

9 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

1) Starbucks overlooks the big terrace outside Central. It opens, I believe it opens at 0900. It is on the ground floor (UK)

2) On the day we are talking about, staff from all the major shops were formed up behind signs for each outlet, whilst a squad of firemen in front of them, some wearing breathing apparatus, were giving some sort of demonstration. Several hundred were present. It lasted about twenty minutes. I watched

3) Large swathes of the outside parking, on two sides of Central have been fenced off with metal fences and are now some sort of construction site.

4) I am not really bothered whether or not you spend time in Starbucks or Macdonald's. I had a reason to be there on Tuesday.

If you are going to take people to task about 'facts", or suggest that they are indulging in fantasy, perhaps you should make sure that you are right first?

I am, by the way, normally fairly "gruntled"!

Starbucks Central opens at 9am according to their website.

Seattle-based coffeehouse chain known for its signature roasts, light bites and WiFi availability.

Address: 99/9 หมู่ที่ 13 Phahonyothin Rd, ตำบล รอบเวียง Amphoe Mueang Chiang Rai, Chang Wat Chiang Rai 57000
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM

Phone: 053 179 728

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

Multi-story parking?

I think I heard that somewhere.

Chaos this morning... I parked at Sinthanee and walked back.

Gave up on Big C, the carpark line was half a km long.

Parking at Central and to a lesser extent Big C has become an abortion.

We were in Central again yesterday. We actually arrived at about 1040 and found a park out the front of Tops. They have about 6 to 8 parking bays with a security guard which are marked for Tops Shoppers. If you can convince him you are going to Tops he will let you park. Lucky the wife was with me. 

Only downside when we came out we were parked in. My pet hate are people who are too lazy to find other parks and just park in front of your vehicle.  Very common at Central. We were only inside for 30 minutes.  When we were driving out there were still many parking spots vacant. 

4 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

Was the offending car still in gear?

Sometimes you can push it out of the way. (Or get the Mrs to do it).

The main offending vehicle still had the driver so security asked him to move. The other one I could push. I was just about to get in the car and drive out when another vehicle parked in front of me. He coped my wrath. The tuk tuk drivers  on the main road were amused

1 hour ago, ripstanley said:

We were in Central again yesterday. We actually arrived at about 1040 and found a park out the front of Tops. They have about 6 to 8 parking bays with a security guard which are marked for Tops Shoppers. If you can convince him you are going to Tops he will let you park. Lucky the wife was with me. 

Only downside when we came out we were parked in. My pet hate are people who are too lazy to find other parks and just park in front of your vehicle.  Very common at Central. We were only inside for 30 minutes.  When we were driving out there were still many parking spots vacant. 

Yep, I've found getting there early (before 11) gives you the best chance of getting something decent.

Went to central today , got there at 11.10 am .The car park was nearly full.Managed to get a park and then went to tops.. There was people everywhere .Usually getting there early you can find a park.I noyiced also there was alot more traffic this morning on the roads .

It is getting harder to get a park at central now. Arrived at 11.10 am and the park park was full .did not go underneath .. Where yo drive into the underground parking is closed off and all the food shops are there now. Same as inside too all the shops are gone ..Big renovations happening

20180905_112547.jpg

20180905_112500.jpg

2 hours ago, kevvy said:

It is getting harder to get a park at central now. Arrived at 11.10 am and the park park was full .did not go underneath .. Where yo drive into the underground parking is closed off and all the food shops are there now. Same as inside too all the shops are gone ..Big renovations happening

20180905_112547.jpg

20180905_112500.jpg

Thanks Kevvy. Is Tops still operating?

yes mate tops still going strong .

actually i like the outdoor shops better .you have the food shops either side and all thge seats in the middle ..You just walk along and can see every food  shop and what they have . Actually, I have noticed they ar5e gettin more western items in. E.G ..Cheese, salami, and dried goods.

I finally found the German deli on the way out of town on 1211 after hearing about it for a long time.

Good bread baked on site and regular deliveries of remarkably authentic European sausages like bratwurst.

It's towards the end of 4 lane opposite the two story pink building.

It was past 10 a.m. on a weekend and raining really hard. The covered parking area for motorbikes was not yet open. So where was I to park? I saw a space near the water treatment facility and parked there. After my business with the Bank - I find my motorbike chained. If I has a piece with me - the security guard might have had a piece of it as well. Not cool Central Chiang Rai. Not Cool.

On 9/6/2018 at 8:09 AM, sceadugenga said:

I finally found the German deli on the way out of town on 1211 after hearing about it for a long time.

Good bread baked on site and regular deliveries of remarkably authentic European sausages like bratwurst.

It's towards the end of 4 lane opposite the two story pink building.

Location please. Thanks.

Archived