Appeals Court upholds death sentence on Spaniard for murder

webfact

Appeals Court upholds death sentence on Spaniard for murder

By Thai PBS

file.jpg

FILE photo

The Appeals Court today upheld the death sentence handed down on a Spanish man for murdering a fellow Spaniard and dumping the dismembered body in the Chao Phraya River in 2016.

According to the verdict, between January 20-26, 2016, Artur Segarra tortured and latere murdered David Bernat in a room of PG Condominium on Rama IX road, dismembered his body and dumped the body parts at various spots in the Chao Phraya River and stole 734,940 baht from the murdered businessman.

He was charged with kidnapping, torture, premeditated murder, and concealing the body. Segarra denied the charges. The Criminal Court on April 21, 2017 sentenced him to death and ordered him to pay compensation to Bernat’s relatives. Segarra appealed.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/appeals-court-upholds-death-sentence-spaniard-murder/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-13

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

How lucky is he that he gets to live the rest of his life in Thailand!!

Or the execution(s) continue?

Still not clear to me why only this one convict had been executed recently.

I certainly believe in the death sentence. But here I don't believe any sentence is well thought out. I also don't believe they are qualified to make such a sentence or understand what "a reasonable doubt" actually means.

42 minutes ago, 300sd said:

I certainly believe in the death sentence. But here I don't believe any sentence is well thought out. I also don't believe they are qualified to make such a sentence or understand what "a reasonable doubt" actually means.

Nah, sure! I guess you know better. Really? Can´t we just call it a mistrial and set the dude free, I guess there can no be any kind of evidence in this case. Just pure speculation.

15 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Nah, sure! I guess you know better. Really? Can´t we just call it a mistrial and set the dude free, I guess there can no be any kind of evidence in this case. Just pure speculation.

Yes that's right. It just might be pure speculation. Doesn't matter here. That's my opinion and you are welcome to yours. See ya.

Spaniard death sentence upheld

By The Nation

771ce31656943db2154a46dab0b14b01.jpeg

Artur Segarra Princep

The Appeals Court on Friday upheld the death sentence for a Spanish man, Artur Segarra Princep, who was convicted of killing a fellow Spaniard, mutilating his body and throwing the parts into the Chao Phraya in January 2016.

Princep, who has maintained his innocence, will appeal to the Supreme Court.

The Appeals Court judge cited strong evidence, including security camera footage, testimonies from witnesses, including accounts from a maid at the PG Condominium and his Thai girlfriend, and forensic results on DNA samples collected from incriminating items, such as his freezer, which had sufficiently convinced the judge about the 39-year-old's guilt over the death of the Spanish national David Bernat, 41. 

The case has drawn considerable media attention in Spain. 

Segarra was taken from Bang Kwang Central Prison, where he was detained for two years and five months, to the Ratchadapisek Criminal Court to hear the Appeals Court verdict. 

There was a Spanish interpreter in court. 

Segarra was convicted of Bernat's murder, illegal detention, torture, concealment of the body and theft and was given a death sentence by the primary court last April. 

The primary court also ordered him to repay Bt734,940 to Bernat's family, the amount which Segarra took out of the victim's bank account. This was also upheld by the Appeals Court. 

Bernat had just arrived in Bangkok for a vacation when he was abducted and detained by his acquaintance Segarra at the Huai Kwang apartment. The court heard he was tortured for days for his ATM codes and then killed, the court decided. His body was kept in a freezer before being dismembered for disposal in the river. 

Bernat's body parts were discovered in the Chao Phraya on January 30, 2016. 

Segarra was arrested in Cambodia in early February 2016 and sent back to Thailand the next day.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30350028

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-13

5 hours ago, 300sd said:

There's no country on earth that understands that. Plenty of people in U.S on death row have been exonerated . That's why I'm against the death penalty. Hard to free someone who's dead. Although they should give them the option of assisted suicide. 

Yes with the war on crime like any war there are a few innocent caught up in the crossfire.hes as guilty and proven as whatever...I bet he ain't laughing as much as he was in the above picture.a lot of people seem to forget the victim who has died and the pain and anguish the family will go through for the rest of their lives.

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

For the "why" question you need to look into how the Thai justice system works with requesting a royal pardon. There has been written enough about it but due to forum rules i am not comfortable discussing them here.

11 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Yes and thankfully there are never any wrongful convictions in Thailand.

There was a stack of evidence against himself!!!! He is guilty !!!!Youwant to let him go just because he says he did not do it. Ever mind the evidence—- he says he’s innocent! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&

21 hours ago, 300sd said:

Well, whether you believe in the death sentence or not, one thing about his crime you can be sure of - The <deleted> won't be doing it again!

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

According to most polls, Thais believe in the death penalty,  and the junta is watching the polls.  Given the lack of intelligent information, one may assume the execution was a political ploy.  

18 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I guess you were not  in the loop about the uselessness of capital punishment.

death-13 at 2.39.04 PM.png

As a deterrent, I suggest capital punishment is 100 % effective for the individual concerned

1 hour ago, biplanebluey said:

There was a stack of evidence against himself!!!! He is guilty !!!!Youwant to let him go just because he says he did not do it. Ever mind the evidence—- he says he’s innocent! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&

Not saying let him go at all. My comment was concerning the death penalty in general. I am saying that if you execute somebody and then later find out that they were innocent of the crime then the guilty party is still free and an innocent man is dead.

Archived