Appeals Court upholds death sentence on Spaniard for murder

webfact

12 hours ago, tumama said:

There's no country on earth that understands that. Plenty of people in U.S on death row have been exonerated . That's why I'm against the death penalty. Hard to free someone who's dead. Although they should give them the option of assisted suicide. 

Lots of people miss the one great exception to the "uselessness" of the death penalty: that of serial killers. Just read "Mindhunter" by John Douglas, the original FBI profiler, and any number of books by him and Robert Ressler, who coined the term "serial killer"; Roy Hazelwood, etc. These people, along with forensic psychiatrist Ann Burgess, studied and interviewed convicted serials for 30 years, aside from helping catch them. First, convicted serial killers have always been guilty of the crimes they've been charged with. They are different from other types charged in the sense that it's nearly impossible to convict the wrong person of being a serial killer.  Second, just listen to a tape recording of two serials torturing a 12-year-old girl to death inside their van. People against the death penalty for serial killers have listened to the tape and come away having changed their minds.

Serials cannot be rehabilitated; they are by definition so narcissistic that they are literally incapable of feeling remorse, and they only thing they care about is getting off on killing...and each murder escalates in MO and signature. (MO is what they do to commit the crime--that can change. Signature--a term Douglas coined--is what the killer has to do to fulfill himself. In the case of Ted Bundy, the signature for him to really get off was to return to the victim's body later and have sex with the decapitated head. He escaped prison TWICE, by the way, and killed again, his last victim a 12-year-old. Still crying tears about his eventual execution?)

Ressler surprisingly disagreed with Douglas (he, unlike Douglas, had been an old-school cop before joining the FBI), believing the likes of Bundy and the cannibalistic Dahmer should stay alive in order to be further studied. Douglas said they'd already studied them enough and there were always new ones to study.

The most prolific of all, and one of the vilest (he loved to torture and eat children) was a Russian during the 1980s. I forget his name, and I certainly won't waste my time looking it up, but anyway at first, of course, the dogged detective on the case had a lot of trouble convincing his superiors there was any connection to all those dozens of decapitated and mutilated children...because in our Glorious Soviet Union there's no such thing as a serial killer--that's a decadent Western phenomenon. They relented, eventually, and he was caught. The Soviets were pretty merciful, I'll have to say. He got the death penalty all right--a bullet in the back of the head while on a routine walk along the corridor. He should have received the hot seat, IMHO.

I've heard Commonwealth people say, Oh, I wouldn't live in the States; they have the death penalty. Yes but they were living in the Gulf Middle East for money! A little hypocritical, seems to me. And not all states have the penalty; the ones that still do are taking a hard look at it--except for renegade Texas. TX is still out of control with capital punishment. If they could hold a referendum, the Houston population alone would abolish it. But...I agree with Douglas. Serial killers do not have the right to life.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

Lots of people miss the one great exception to the "uselessness" of the death penalty: that of serial killers. Just read "Mindhunter" by John Douglas, the original FBI profiler, and any number of books by him and Robert Ressler, who coined the term "serial killer"; Roy Hazelwood, etc. These people, along with forensic psychiatrist Ann Burgess, studied and interviewed convicted serials for 30 years, aside from helping catch them. First, convicted serial killers have always been guilty of the crimes they've been charged with. They are different from other types charged in the sense that it's nearly impossible to convict the wrong person of being a serial killer.  Second, just listen to a tape recording of two serials torturing a 12-year-old girl to death inside their van. People against the death penalty for serial killers have listened to the tape and come away having changed their minds.

Serials cannot be rehabilitated; they are by definition so narcissistic that they are literally incapable of feeling remorse, and they only thing they care about is getting off on killing...and each murder escalates in MO and signature. (MO is what they do to commit the crime--that can change. Signature--a term Douglas coined--is what the killer has to do to fulfill himself. In the case of Ted Bundy, the signature for him to really get off was to return to the victim's body later and have sex with the decapitated head. He escape prison TWICE, by the way, and killed again, his last victim a 12-year-old. Still crying tears about his eventual execution?)

Ressler, by the way, surprisingly disagreed with Douglas (he, unlike Douglas, had been an old-school cop before joining the FBI), believing the likes of Bundy and the cannibalistic Dahmer should stay alive in order to be further studied. Douglas said they'd already studied them enough and there were always new ones to study.

BTW, the most prolific of all, and one of the vilest (he loved to torture and eat children) was a Russian during the 1980s. I forget his name, and I certainly won't waste my time looking it up, but anyway at first, of course, the dogged detective on the case had a lot of trouble convincing his superiors there was any connection to all those dozens of decapitated and mutilated children...because in our Glorious Soviet Union there's no such thing as a serial killer--that's a decadent Western phenomenon. They relented, eventually, and he was caught. The Soviets were pretty merciful, I'll have to say. He got the death penalty all right--a bullet in the back of the head while on a routine walk along the corridor. He should have received the hot seat, IMHO.

I've heard Commonwealth people say, Oh, I wouldn't live in the States; they have the death penalty. Yes but they were living in the Gulf Middle East for money! A little hypocritical, seems to me. And not all states have the penalty; the ones that still do are taking a hard look at it--except for renegade Texas. TX is still out of control with capital punishment. If they could hold a referendum, the Houston population alone would abolish it. But...I agree with Douglas. Serial killers do not have the right to life.

Of course there are cases where there is absolutely no doubt they are guilty. But who determines that? Whenever you have a system like that, innocent people will get caught up in it. Which is why it's not worth it. If you give them life in prison there is no chance they will re-offend in either way. 

My opinion is not based on emotion. It's based on logic.  

4 minutes ago, tumama said:

Of course there are cases where there is absolutely no doubt they are guilty. But who determines that? Whenever you have a system like that, innocent people will get caught up in it. Which is why it's not worth it. If you give them life in prison there is no chance they will re-offend in either way. 

My opinion is not based on emotion. It's based on logic.  

No one in the West has ever been falsely convicted of being a serial killer. Period. Railroading someone as a serial is pretty much impossible.What do you mean "who determines that"? Forensic science, FBI consultants, a judge and a jury of 12. Not to mention the very nature of serial killers: most of them confess, because they're either proud of themselves or they actually want to stop (because they can't stop themselves...it's always "the bad Jeffrey who does those wicked things, not the real Jeffrey."

1 minute ago, Dustdevil said:

No one has ever been falsely convicted of being a serial killer. Period.

So death penalty should be allowed when there's no motive and the killer has killed multiple times? That sounds like a slippery slope to me. 

2 minutes ago, tumama said:

So death penalty should be allowed when there's no motive and the killer has killed multiple times? That sounds like a slippery slope to me. 

There's no mission creep; there's no overlap between serial killers and other types of murderers, not even mass murderers like the one in Vegas.They are unique.

1 minute ago, Dustdevil said:

There's no mission creep; there's no overlap between serial killers and other types of murderers, not even mass murderers like the one in Vegas.They are unique.

But who defines what is a serial killer? It's a slippery slope. 

53 minutes ago, tumama said:

But who defines what is a serial killer? It's a slippery slope. 

Forensic psychiatrists, the FBI and Scotland Yard, to name but a few. They all have essentially the same definition. A serial killer is typically a person who murders three or more people usually in service of abnormal psychological gratification, with the murders taking place over more than a month and including a significant period of time between them.  The FBI defines serial killing as "a series of two or more murders, committed as separate events, usually, but not always, by one offender acting alone." This has long been established. I have already referred you to a basic reading list; you can also google "serial killer" and read the wikipedia definitions  along with quite a long list of solid references. There is no voodoo or guesswork as to what a serial killer is.

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I guess you were not  in the loop about the uselessness of capital punishment

Gets another scumbag off the planet if guilty back & White. In this case guilty, why did he run to Cambodia???

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The Criminal Court on April 21, 2017 sentenced him to death and ordered him to pay compensation

How does he pay compensation when locked in prison and presumable not working, and then that death sentence sort of ends all income streams. 
Signed,
Confused

The Criminal Court on April 21, 2017 sentenced him to death and ordered him to pay compensation to Bernat’s relatives. Segarra appealed

So if he is sentenced to death why give a toss about the compensation part.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:10 AM, Get Real said:

Right! It´s unfair, ah? Why he don´t have to check in every 90 days?

Actually through this special permanent stay agreement its included a daily check on him so he can spend his mind (not time) elsewhere...:whistling:

23 hours ago, tumama said:

There's no country on earth that understands that. Plenty of people in U.S on death row have been exonerated . That's why I'm against the death penalty. Hard to free someone who's dead. Although they should give them the option of assisted suicide. 

I remember a case of a young man who committed suicide while on remand who was later found to have been innocent.

On 7/13/2018 at 9:04 PM, Torrens54 said:

One thing that is certain about Capital Punushment .......

the scumbags will never again offend !

...and they wont cost the taxpayers another cent

On 7/13/2018 at 3:04 PM, Torrens54 said:

One thing that is certain about Capital Punushment .......

the scumbags will never again offend !

True, unless you believe in re-incarnation, in which case you're just setting the 'scumbags' free.

Clearly this is a biased opinion, but whenever I see a guy with tattoos like these I can't help but thinking he's a little messed up to start with. I'm not anti-tattoo by any means, I have a few. However, none are visible even when I have short pants and a short sleeved shirt on.

Archived