hit-up for baht by European on bicycle in Thapae Gate area ?

orang37

On 7/13/2018 at 6:37 PM, cmsally said:

Probably the same guy that asked me for money last month!  German accent and said he was Swiss. The weird thing was he asked me for something like 43 Bt, it seemed like an unlikely number to ask for. He said he needed it to make up enough money to call someone so he could get a money transfer.I almost gave it to him as it was a small amount but to me it was obviously a scam so I declined. If that is all the money he needed I am sure he could easily ask for a small loan from somewhere where people knew him. So it didn't make sense.

Interestingly a couple of weeks later I came across him in a soi and he obviously remembered me as I was on the receiving end of a string of not so nice expletives !

Swiss?  Oh, no.  Don't tell me Mark Faber has hit the skids!

When I read topics like this it makes me aware that there are many folk here with less money than me.  I have a few thousand in the bank for what might happen in the future but my Brit.OAP is what I rely on. I too don't hand over money to " Got a couple of bob for a cup of tea gov ? "

Never a borrower or lender be, wise words to keep in mind especially dealing with ExPats, Cheap Charlies and down on their luck Twatpackers who might approach you with their hand out.  Sod off I have no time to listen to their tales of woe.

On 7/14/2018 at 1:09 PM, connda said:

My answer would be short and sweet:  You obviously can't afford to be here, so what are you doing here.  And regarding the handout - "No!" 

You might lose your (false) teeth for that one.... This guy is young and 6'4"

On 7/14/2018 at 4:13 PM, suzannegoh said:

If virtue signalling bothers you then you must not be on facebook.

Indeed, Khun Suzanne, I have never used FarceBook, Twister, LunkedIn, or other so-called "social-media" sites. I regard them as the intellectual equivalents of Ebola.

"Virtue signaling" is a very interesting term, thanks ! I wonder if it has an antonym like "humilitosis harumphing" for signaling self-denigration ?

cheers, ~o:37;

I was a panhandler several times. Met a lot of afraid people like many of the posters here. One guy laid US$800 on me to get me to a better place. Sent him the 800 three months later and $10,000 two years later for his Good Samaritan fund. He did not ask for any of it but he had experienced some difficulties and understood.

Agree with the OP, take a chance sometimes, not everyone in need is scamming. Shit happens.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

Archived