Can I say yang ยัง on it's own without answering a question?

johnray

I heard teenagers doing a spicy noodle challenge and than saying:

girl 1:  Ped mai?

girl 2:  Ped maaaak!

girl 1:  Yang yang.

So I assume ''yang yang'' means 'I have not yet got the spice so I will eat more'.  She than went on to eat more.

In this case there was not a yang question just the statement ''yang yang'' alone.

Is this correct?

My Thai girlfriend said it's slang and not correct but she says this to a lot of things.

There is a question there เผ็ดไหม is it hot? since the dishes will get hotter on a time line the questioner is asking “Are you finding it hot yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

ยัง can be used without a question when the rest of the sentence is implied. For instance the mother calls her child, "Come here and do your homework!" but the child is still playing outside so she says in an angry voice: "Yang, yang..." implying he hasn't come yet (yang mai ma) and she's growing impatient.

ยัง is not slang, your girlfriend is probably a normal person who accepts what people say but can't explain the grammar by 'slang' she probably means no more than 'short incomplete speech'.

It would appear from what Chaam local says and your original quote that we need to find the circumstances in which 'yang yang' is applicable.

A. Is it hot?
B. very hot?
A. yangyang
Mum. Come here and do your homework.
no response.
Mum. yangyang

I the case of the challenge would seem to be encouraging and in the case of the mother it would seem to be forcing a reponse unless we see it from the speakers point of view.
คงอยู่ nothing has changed in what I want of you.
I still want you to finish the challenge and I still want you to come indoors.
It works for me better than my first try.

What about some Thai opinions on this.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

5 hours ago, Chaam local said:

ยัง can be used without a question when the rest of the sentence is implied. For instance the mother calls her child, "Come here and do your homework!" but the child is still playing outside so she says in an angry voice: "Yang, yang..." implying he hasn't come yet (yang mai ma) and she's growing impatient.

I think that might be a different "yang" -  ยั้ง meaning to stop or refrain from. What the mother is saying is, "Stop what you're doing (and get in here)." 

I also sometimes hear it in the form, "Yang iig" meaning more or less, "Stop it right now or you're going to get what for!"

Archived