BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Unsung hero: Brit Vern Unsworth started the cave rescue

Unsung hero: Brit Vern Unsworth started the cave rescue

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GTMoxYCLUwVKFp4Ywj.jpg

"Thanks from the bottom of our hearts" - Image: Thai Rath

British national Vern Unsworth who lives in Chiang Rai is being hailed as the man who kick started the successful cave rescue that saw the lives of 12 boys and their coach saved. 

Vern was the first to react to the impending disaster as he contacted his buddies in England from the DCRO cave rescue team.

He was on hand to brief Robert Harper, Rick Stanton and John Volanthen as soon as they arrived in the north of Thailand. 

Vern knew the cave system well having done surveys of the passageways. 

Yesterday Thai Rath praised him and published a note showing that he started the operation that eventually led to Mr Stanton and Mr Volanthen being the first to reach the boys.

The note said: "Time is running out! They're the world's best cave divers. Please contact them through the UK Embassy ASAP"

Vern's indomitable spirit was also encapsulated in a Facebook post on the page of Thapanee Ietsrichai that showed him taping up split boots before getting on with the job and going back in the cave.

Thai Rath called him an unsung hero and thanked him for all the work he did. 

He is believed to be resident in Chiang Rai.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-14

unnamed.jpg

Well done Sir, I hope he gets the recognition he deserves from the appropriate authorities. 

I'm thinking Bruce Willis will play him in the movie.:cheesy:

The more I read various accounts, the more it becomes clear how many individual efforts played crucial roles, without which any one of them, the incredible success of the rescue may not have happened.  

The word "Hero" is so often cheapened but in this case, so many did indeed put their lives on the line and risk it all in the combined effort to rescue those boys...surely heros all.

I hope that Vern also gets given the Elite card as he thoroughly deserves it.

Hats off to the Embassy and various agencies in the UK govt too who are regularly crucified on this website yet who clearly were instrumental in pulling this off (as usual!) without adding to the confusion generated by social media or the media circus.

2 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

I hope that Vern also gets given the Elite card as he thoroughly deserves it.

i say give him citizenship, at least 

As events unraveled he really was the kingpin to the success of the mission by his aggressive suggestions of calling in the experts. Without that insistence it may have ended in success, or probably not, but certainly would have been a very different story.

Respects Vern.....................:thumbsup:

Great job Vern! My family and I joined Vern on a safe trip into inner space a few years ago, what an amazing place!

1 hour ago, irwinfc said:

i say give him citizenship, at least 

PR wouldn't be too much IMO, assuming he wants it.

Another champion showing us all how to react in a crisis. Well done, thank you sir, you are an inspiration.

'British national Vern Unsworth who lives in Chiang Rai ... ... He is believed to be resident in Chiang Rai'

Well either he does live in CR, or he doesn't.