Cleaning a dog's teeth, which toothpaste?

On 7/14/2018 at 9:29 AM, giddyup said:

So, looking to clean his teeth myself, as his breath is a bit on the nose and he's developing some tartar as well.

Had same problem with an elder dog in my home country (Denmark), and the local animal doctor said that I should try to use a soft toothbrush dipped in mouthwash for children. It actually worked quite well, even the dog didn't fancy it in the beginning, but got used to it after a while. Of course, the natural way by chewing bones – or other stuff that clean the teeth, could eventually be dried pig-ear – is better.

?

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

I don't have a lot of faith in vets in Thailand, I find they are more interested in making money than giving sound advice.

No not just in Thailand.  You'll find most times the things the vets do you can do yourself for a lot cheaper.  For example bad rashes,  use human corticosteroid cream. Pain control,  use coated aspirin, vomit inducement,  google has the answer.  You just need good cognition to feed through the nonsense net garbage. 

38 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Will do. Ordered some tooth gel for dogs as well, so will try brushing his teeth regularly as well.

I will talk to the vet when I take her back in 2 weeks. Will see what they suggest to do. Dog is 9 year old so maybe hard to train.

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Love to brush my cat's teeth.  He lays right along side of me at night in bed while I'm reading a book.  When he yawns, near my face, it's worse than an open sewer.   :sick:

You've heard of the expression "like herding cats"? The only solution is anaesthesia at a vet.

I used a product that is from the U.S....sold in many vet shops. Green gel. You 

can brush it on if the dog allows it or just smear it on. My dog was almost 16 when she died last year. Her teeth were still perfect.

18 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

. I was told of a "stuff" that you put in their drinking water and helps keep tartar down but that was in Australia so trying to find out what it is and if I can't buy here I will get some and bring back on my visit there in September.

I bought that "stuff" here in Thailand. Supposed to put few drops in the water dish, but my dog wouldn't drink the water from the dish if it's in it. I also bought dog's toothpaste. The dog would lick it off the brash but trying to brush her teeth is a lost straggle. Both my dogs love bones and from time to time I buy them big cow's bones. the back teeth are still brown at the top. I will try the coconut though

6 hours ago, NickJ said:

I used a product that is from the U.S....sold in many vet shops. Green gel. You 

can brush it on if the dog allows it or just smear it on. My dog was almost 16 when she died last year. Her teeth were still perfect.

Is that it's name "Green Gel"?

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

I imagine he'd have to eat an awful lot of it to make any difference, which in itself would be pretty unhealthy. Most dogs tend to gulp cheese because they like the taste so much, not a lot of chewing involved.

Try a 24 year old Gouda. A lot of chewing...  but veeery expensiiive.

You can get stuff from vets and pet shops that you squirt in the dogs mouth along the teeth and gums. It foams up and is like a mouthwash. Cleans the dogs teeth a bit but gets rid of bad breath . It’s minty flavour I think .

I ust to chop my meat to small pieces and cook it, took hrs, and dog had very bad breath. One day on the bad breath issue I thought in the wild the dogs don't cook there meat so stoped cooking it but still cut into small pieces  dog still scoffed it down in a few secods, didnt work. Started thinking how they ate in the wild, they pulled it of there for flossing their teeth with the sinues. End result I cut the meat into meal seise pieces so dog had to chew and pull it apart and the bone I left a meal of meat on it as when pulling it off the sinues flossed the teeth. ( bones don't clean teeth, only wear them down ) Bingo no more problems ever again and much less work in the prep of food. Vets dont want to solve the problems with your pets as you wont need to take the vet thus no money for them.

I was told by my vet in the USA and my ex-fiancee who was a dog breeder that brushing your dogs teeth each day is just about the best thing that you can do for their health and longevity.

The first thing to note is that you really do need special dog toothpaste. As well as helping the teeth, it is something that they can eat and it tastes good, so it's something that they can look forward too. Human toothpaste is not good for your dog. I have no idea what's available in Thailand, you may as previous posters have suggested have to buy online, but it's much better to get toothpaste rather than a gel that you just smear on. The brushing action does of course help prevent the buildup of tartar.

Unfortunately, it's easiest to start with when they're a puppy, starting later is tougher and you definitely need to be very patient - little by little till they get more and more used to it.

Good luck - it should save you a lot on vet bills, as well as improving their life.

Archived