British diver reveals how Tham Luang 13 were saved by their smell

Jonathan Fairfield

British diver reveals how Tham Luang 13 were saved by their smell

bbc.png

Image: Screenshot

The twelve boys and their football coach who were trapped deep inside the Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai were found “by their smell”, according to one of the British divers who were the first to find the stranded group.

In an interview with the BBC, diver John Volanthen revealed the moment he found the boys alive and said they could smell the children before they could see them.

“It's been mentioned by some members of the press it was luck, I would say that's absolute not the case, Mr Volanthen said.

“Our procedure in this situation is we're swimming along an underwater passage wherever there is air space we surface we shout and also we smell and in this case we smelled children before we actually saw them .

“The video you see is again a part of the story what you can't see on the opposite bank is we'd already removed a lot of our equipment we were preparing to go and find them, we could see where they were and we were very pleased trying to establish how many of them were alright and as it turned out all of them were.”

At an earlier press conference, Richard Stanton who was diving with Mr Volanthen had denied the pair were heroes.

“We were just using a very unique skill set, which we normally use for our own interests and sometimes we are able to use that and give something back to the community.”

Describing the moment he found the group of 13, Mr Stanton said: “We were counting them until we got to 13... unbelievable. We gave them a bit of extra light, they still had light, they looked in good health. Then when we departed, all we could think about was how we would get them out.”

Speaking of the rescue mission itself, he said: “This was completely unprecedented, nothing like this has been done. So of course there were doubts.

“We had a good team, with good support from the Thai authorities, the caving community and rescue organisations, so we had the best we could do to make a plan work.”

Mr Stanton was speaking as the group of British divers arrived back at Heathrow Airport in London on Friday.

Other British divers who also arrived back in the UK included Chris Jewell and Connor Roe, both from Somerset; Josh Bratchley, from Devon; Mike Clayton, from Yorkshire; Gary Mitchell, from Wales and Jim Warny from Co Clare, Ireland.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-14

“Our procedure in this situation is we're swimming along an underwater passage wherever there is air space we surface we shout and also we smell and in this case we smelled children before we actually saw them .

Considering that the boys didn't have a toilet, it's easy to understand that they could smell them. 

6 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Considering that the boys didn't have a toilet, it's easy to understand that they could smell them. 

Yes, don't think any group of people in the world is going to be smelling like roses after nine days in the cave. 

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe one of the movie producers making cave rescue movies can revive Smell-O-Vision. Normally I might say TMI on the smell thing but in this case it's interesting and pertinent.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm available for booking. I'll wear a dry suit for 9 days, then open it right at the time the divers resurface in the movie. A bit like booking Santa for your party. 

44 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

I'm available for booking. I'll wear a dry suit for 9 days, then open it right at the time the divers resurface in the movie. A bit like booking Santa for your party. 

Please forward a scratch and sniff card for further consideration. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:42 PM, jenny2017 said:

That's not even funny, jenny!

They found the children by smell - pretty understandable. I have heard that gorilla fighting Soldiers, do that, when hunting the enemy in battle also ...

I used to play, trying to track my Wife in the supermarket, by knowing her smell independent from the others .... No real success, or conclusion though,

...  but well, 13 People taped in one part of a cave system for 10 days, with no human smells !!! ... Yes, .... Easy.

Very Good Operation, ALL ROUND.

Thanks all, including the press.

The BBC stuff (Like here ?) is always good and well, very close to the fact to also I think. (Some people might not like their politics though ?) ... Though I will say that I think that it is the truth, which well, not all people are always comfortable with, ...  like the truth, is often harsh, and Life is supposed to be better then that ! ... Luckily in this Cave rescue, it almost was ... RIP, Sam, a Good Diver and Navy Seal.

... So BBC and the Truth in the Middle east and other parts of the world, .... becomes a bit harsh for you, .... watch Japanese TV, on NHK Woulds English service, if you really would like Relax Mode ... Pottery, Tea ceremonies, cooking and nice places, and a bit of Sumo wrestling for some Real Big Man entertainment, ... and well very even handed News ?  .I think. .... (Woops, getting well of Topic here)

...  But here is a very good one, from the abc I just see at the last minuet ...  on the cave rescue ...  

Thanks all, including the press.

Another good one, which gets closer to what it is to be a Caver, and what it is like when you go Caving, .... and more Poignantly, and dangerously, ... a cave Diver, talking to the heros,  and yes, the Heros, ... the Great men's Friends.

Great job done by all, and good luck for a break in the rains also.

What makes them true hero's to me is the way they conducted themselves in this operation, neutral for the naked eye, no signs of despair or excitement but quietly doing their job to the extend they describe now........I really think this was the ONLY way they would be successfully part of the Thai co-coordinated effort and treated as we all have seen, with true respect and lots of joy and thankfulness by parents and authorities...........excellent job done, 

Archived