SURVEY: Was Trump disrespectful to the British Monarch?

Scott

SURVEY: Was Trump disrespectful toward the British Monarch?  

363 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I don't doubt it - but neither he or the US (on their own) 'won' the war - and I'm tired of americans that think otherwise.   Grrrr.

GB would have lost the war without the USA help...BIG help...That is fact.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, I've read enough. 
Just too low level to be worthy of further attention.
Bye. 

No President has had the support of the majority.For example in 1960 JFK was only a whisker ahead of Nixon.And of course there were those who were eligible and didn’t vote.One has to abide by the rules and in the US that involves the Electoral College.

Same elsewhere.It’s pointless to say a British PM doesn’t have a popular majority.All that matters is that he/she commands a majority in the Commons.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Must i say again 'queen of England'.

Elizabeth has held many titles and honorary military positions throughout the Commonwealth, is Sovereign of many orders in her own countries, and has received honours and awards from around the world. In each of her realms she has a distinct title that follows a similar formula: Queen of Jamaica and her other realms and territories in Jamaica, Queen of Australia and her other realms and territories in Australia, etc. In the Channel Islands and Isle of Man, which are Crown dependencies rather than separate realms, she is known as Duke of Normandy and Lord of Mann, respectively. Additional styles include Defender of the Faith and Duke of Lancaster. 

And of course 'Queen of the United Kingdom'.  Not Queen of England.

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

“Does more hours” doing what ? Travelling? Hosting? Whatever it is it’s not work. 

i doubt she even feeds the corgis. 

Looks she 92 and a lovely old lady. If it was my Gran I would be extremely proud of her but please stop kidding yourself she’s on the go 24/7 and a workaholic. 

I'll do it for you hence:

A typical day for Queen Elizabeth

Rising at around 8.30 am, Her Majesty is greeted by the sounds of the bagpipes each morning at nine, as a piper plays on the terrace beneath her apartment at Buckingham Palace. She usually takes a bath before having breakfast in her apartment alone, and it is usually Cornflakes or Special K cereal and fresh or dried fruit. At Christmas, when she usually receives truffles as a gift, The Queen will have scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and a grating of truffle as a festive treat.

Starting the day out with the formalities before any of the fun starts, The Queen takes her time to read the daily newspapers, catching up with the latest goings on in the world – she is Head of State of 16 governments, and leader of the Commonwealth of 53 nations, and so it is important to stay abreast of world news.

Then it’s down to the ‘fan mail’, as it might be called: Her Majesty can receive over 300 letters from the public every single day, and she makes it her personal mission to choose a few which she would like to reply to each morning, usually taking a random sample. The ones she doesn’t have time to reply to personally are answered by a lady-in-waiting, who is given instructions on how the replies are to be written.

Once the letters are dealt with, it’s then time to open the contents of the famous ‘Red Boxes’, sent up by Her Majesty’s Private Secretaries. These are full of important letters, such as Cabinet documents, telegrams and state papers, which The Queen must read, approve and sign. They are sent to The Queen each and every day, wherever she is: the only day she has off from her red boxes is Christmas Day.

In contrast to a morning sat at her desk (like the rest of us), The Queen often spends her mornings out in the UK, undertaking engagements. Normally, these visits are on behalf of her patronages, and she is usually accompanied by her husband, The Duke of Edinburgh. The couple visit venues across the country, sometimes this is up to three visits before lunch! Both Her Majesty and Prince Philip, 89 and 94 respectively, are still very active and carry out hundreds of engagements each year.

After all the morning admin, when at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle on Thursdays and Fridays, the clock is only reading 11, and it’s time for Her Majesty to attend meetings. The Queen dedicates one-on-one time with special guests, such as overseas ambassadors, High Commissioners, newly appointed British ambassadors, and senior members of the British and Commonwealth Armed Forces. These usually last no more than 20 minutes to ensure relevant and important topics are discussed, but not to eat into too much of Her Majesty’s daily schedule.

On some occasions, instead of The Queen’s normal meetings, she will attend award ceremonies, to hand out prizes and awards to individuals who have won awards cross a variety of disciplines. These can include The Queen’s medal for Nursing, The Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service, the Commonwealth Book Prize, or the more formal investiture ceremonies to give OBEs, CBEs, MBEs, knighthoods and more to those who have made a difference in their community or field of work.

At 7:30pm, The Queen will take the time to read the report of the day’s parliamentary proceedings, written by one of the government whips. Perhaps it is now that she indulges in her favourite drink – gin and dubonnet, measured in the ratio 1:2.

t’s now around 9pm, and it’s party time for The Queen, as her evenings are regularly used to host official receptions, alongside the members of the Royal Family, at Buckingham Palace. The receptions are often in aid of the work of particular groups in the community, or will be held ahead of overseas visits.

If you want to know more detail:

https://www.thecrownchronicles.co.uk/royal-news/queen-and-philip/a-day-in-the-life-of-the-queen-daily-routine/

Not a job I'd like!

;

One hears rumours that Her Majesty is a talented mimic. If Mr Trump has indeed upset her (I rather doubt she is bothered) she may well have added him to her repertoire...

That would be something to see, although we never will.

39 minutes ago, jayboy said:

No President has had the support of the majority.For example in 1960 JFK was only a whisker ahead of Nixon.And of course there were those who were eligible and didn’t vote.One has to abide by the rules and in the US that involves the Electoral College.

Same elsewhere.It’s pointless to say a British PM doesn’t have a popular majority.All that matters is that he/she commands a majority in the Commons.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Whilst I understand that, 3 million is quite a margin isn't it. I'm not an American, and therefore have no say in the matter, but in my personal opinion I rather think the issue should be considered.

What would have happened if the US hadn't entered the war (pearl harbour) is an ongoing debate with opposite views.  However, there are many historians who believe that Russia could have won it on their own. Without Russia and the US Britain would have probably lost.  As it was, the US (in many opinions) speeded up the victory.  Britain along with Russia would probably have won but it would have taken longer.

5 minutes ago, HHTel said:

What would have happened if the US hadn't entered the war (pearl harbour) is an ongoing debate with opposite views.  However, there are many historians who believe that Russia could have won it on their own. Without Russia and the US Britain would have probably lost.  As it was, the US (in many opinions) speeded up the victory.  Britain along with Russia would probably have won but it would have taken longer.

Do you think think the US war against Japan would have taken longer without the help of Britain and our Commonwealth friends?

Conversation between Trump and the Queen:

Trump:  "I like this idea of a kingdom.  When I get back, I'll make America a kingdom."

Queen:  "I'm sorry Mr. Trump.  To be a kingdom, you need to be a king and sadly, you're not"

Trump:  "How about a Principality?"

Queen:  "Again Mr. Trump, you would need to be a prince but you're not."

Trump:  "An empire?"

Queen:  "You're not getting it Mr. Trump.  An Empire is ruled by an Emperor."

Queen:  "I'll tell you what Mr. Trump.  Just leave it as a c(o)untry."

29 minutes ago, JAG said:

Whilst I understand that, 3 million is quite a margin isn't it. I'm not an American, and therefore have no say in the matter, but in my personal opinion I rather think the issue should be considered.

Take Texas for example. Maybe half a million people didn't bother voting knowing that Trump was sure to carry Texas. There are many possibilities as to why he was 3 million votes shy. For one, he didn't need them. He carried more states than Clinton and that's all that matters. If the country really wanted her, she would have won.

27 minutes ago, JAG said:

Agreed but these matters need to be taken at a very measured pace.A change in the Constitution is not to be taken lightly.There may be counter arguments

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

So he "won the war'??

I thought you were joking previously, but I'm no longer sure?

Entirely off-topic, but the brits and russians fought the war long before the americans joined (as a result of Pearl Harbour).

The brits and russians appreciate the US help at the end of the war - but are not going to accept the Hollywood 'story' that the US 'won the war' - regardless of their numerous films portraying otherwise.... 

Edit - they were a much needed (belated) factor, that 'swung' the war against the opposition.  But portraying it as anything else is pure fiction.

Still off-topic: While the British were in the fight from the beginning, the Russians didn’t fight “long before the Americans” joined. Until operation Barbarossa, Hitler’s invasion of Russia, the Russians were Nazi Germany allies. That was June of 1941 and the US officially entered the war in Dec. 1941. Having said that, most Americans nowadays know almost nothing about that war but the ones that do, know that the US didn’t win it single-handed lay.

On-topic: Has anyone claiming Trump disrespected the queen actually watched video of their encounter. Not of Obama or Reagan?

22 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Still off-topic: While the British were in the fight from the beginning, the Russians didn’t fight “long before the Americans” joined. Until operation Barbarossa, Hitler’s invasion of Russia, the Russians were Nazi Germany allies. That was June of 1941 and the US officially entered the war in Dec. 1941. Having said that, most Americans nowadays know almost nothing about that war but the ones that do, know that the US didn’t win it single-handed lay.

On-topic: Has anyone claiming Trump disrespected the queen actually watched video of their encounter. Not of Obama or Reagan?

They actually arrived in Britain at the end of January 1942 but that's not important.

They were given a pamphlet on how to behave in Britain as many of them had never been outside the US.

Their slogan suggested in this pamphlet was:

It is always impolite to criticize your hosts; it is militarily stupid to criticize your allies.”

Now who come's to mind??

29 minutes ago, HHTel said:

They actually arrived in Britain at the end of January 1942 but that's not important.

They were given a pamphlet on how to behave in Britain as many of them had never been outside the US.

Their slogan suggested in this pamphlet was:

It is always impolite to criticize your hosts; it is militarily stupid to criticize your allies.”

Now who come's to mind??

The American soldiers were also shown a film called 'How to behave in Britain' starring Burgess Meredith. It's very amusing to say the least. This is a short excerpt of the movie.

1 hour ago, PhonThong said:

Take Texas for examp le. Maybe half a million people didn't bother voting knowing that Trump was sure to carry Texas. There are many possibilities as to why he was 3 million votes shy. For one, he didn't need them. He carried more states than Clinton and that's all that matters. If the country really wanted her, she would have won.

Again, with the rider that I am not an American etc - but if 3 million more voted for Clinton than Trump then perhaps the country, taken overall, did want her? Or possibly regarded her as the lesser of two evils... 

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

So he "won the war'??

I thought you were joking previously, but I'm no longer sure?

Entirely off-topic, but the brits and russians fought the war long before the americans joined (as a result of Pearl Harbour).

The brits and russians appreciate the US help at the end of the war - but are not going to accept the Hollywood 'story' that the US 'won the war' - regardless of their numerous films portraying otherwise.... 

Edit - they were a much needed (belated) factor, that 'swung' the war against the opposition.  But portraying it as anything else is pure fiction.

Sorry to mess with your twisted version of history, but Pearl Harbor was Dec. 1941 and VE Day was May 1945 and VJ Day was August 1945. So roughly 4 years of US involvement in the war. Prior to the US involvement most European nations were firmly under the grip of the Germans and the UK forces were licking their wounds back on the Island. The Pacific theatre was more or less the same situation with British and French forces being kicked out of colonies by the locals and Japanese. 

So exactly how again was Britain and Russia close to winning and the US just showed up at the end?

On 7/15/2018 at 9:53 AM, vogie said:

The US entered the war in response to Japans bombing of pearl harbour, we and our allies helped you defeat Japan with a loss of many british and commonwealth lives, so spare us all eh, and remember what this topic is about.

Excuse me, USA started to beat back Japan, and  this have had a side effects to ease the tight of the British and Holland colonies at far east.  Read the history.

57 minutes ago, phkauf said:

Sorry to mess with your twisted version of history, but Pearl Harbor was Dec. 1941 and VE Day was May 1945 and VJ Day was August 1945. So roughly 4 years of US involvement in the war. Prior to the US involvement most European nations were firmly under the grip of the Germans and the UK forces were licking their wounds back on the Island. The Pacific theatre was more or less the same situation with British and French forces being kicked out of colonies by the locals and Japanese. 

So exactly how again was Britain and Russia close to winning and the US just showed up at the end?

Excuse me, I see the other side of Your interpretation. USA has kept on the breathing machine Britain and Soviet Union, with the enormous transport of  goods. Include food, armaments, trucks and everything else was necessary for the war.

25 minutes ago, bogozy said:

Excuse me, USA started to beat back Japan, and  this have had a side effects to ease the tight of the British and Holland colonies at far east.  Read the history.

Do you always start your posts with "excuse me"

I know you're a great historian, but it wasn't just Britains war, it was a world war. Germany and Italy declared war on the USA after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour. The USA had interests in the war other than saving lil old Britain. You would have been fighting for your own very existence eventually. 

But you seem to know everything.

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Must be hell.

Give her the minimum wage and ask her if you still wants it. 

As usual with the quality of many posters on here, you are not capable of a reasoned argument and therefore incapable of debate.

Have a nice day.

20 hours ago, chickenslegs said:
20 hours ago, 1Junglemonkey said:

Excuse me? Why should the president of the United States bow to the insignificant Queen of England. Why do you guys even have a queen, isn't that quite outdated? What role does she play in the world as a whole? Sure I would bow to her just out of respect but not if I was the leader of the free world. It should be the other way around.

Leader of the free world?

I must have missed that election.

:clap2:

20 hours ago, 1Junglemonkey said:

Excuse me? Why should the president of the United States bow to the insignificant Queen of England. Why do you guys even have a queen, isn't that quite outdated? What role does she play in the world as a whole? Sure I would bow to her just out of respect but not if I was the leader of the free world. It should be the other way around.

There  it  is  again !  "leader  of the  free  world !.   Vomitous 

3 hours ago, phkauf said:

Britain held off the Nazis entirely alone while the Russians were allies of Hitler.Contrary to legend it would have been difficult for Germany to invade since the Royal Navy was hugely powerful.Roosevelt was sympathetic but given isolationism in Congress did not commit troops until after Pearl Harbour.Prior to that America had provided material support to Britain through Lend Lease but on usurious terms which nearly bankrupted Britain in her time of need.The Americans though initially raw and inexperienced made a big difference and had superior generals to the British.Overall the quality of German soldiers and officers easily exceeded anything the Americans or British had to offer.In the larger scheme of things by far the greatest contribution to victory was made by Russia with a sacrifice in blood that is still almost unimaginable.

3 hours ago, bogozy said:

Ever heard of Midway? Turning point of the war in the Pacific.

I can say one of the very few things i like about the current president is he does not seem to give a flying <deleted> about anybody but himself. We are all like that of course, and I like that he does not try to hide it like every other suckup in the universe. 

On 7/16/2018 at 11:30 PM, utalkin2me said:

I can say one of the very few things i like about the current president is he does not seem to give a flying <deleted> about anybody but himself. We are all like that of course, and I like that he does not try to hide it like every other suckup in the universe. 

No, not everyone is like that

10 hours ago, HHTel said:

Conversation between Trump and the Queen:

Trump:  "I like this idea of a kingdom.  When I get back, I'll make America a kingdom."

Queen:  "I'm sorry Mr. Trump.  To be a kingdom, you need to be a king and sadly, you're not"

Trump:  "How about a Principality?"

Queen:  "Again Mr. Trump, you would need to be a prince but you're not."

Trump:  "An empire?"

Queen:  "You're not getting it Mr. Trump.  An Empire is ruled by an Emperor."

Queen:  "I'll tell you what Mr. Trump.  Just leave it as a c(o)untry."

Maybe after just pandering to buddy Vlad once again, Donny and Vlad are cooking up something even more powerful than a monarchy. Anything is possible (unless impeachment comes soon).

I can say one of the very few things i like about the current president is he does not seem to give a flying f... about anybody but himself. We are all like that of course, and I like that he does not try to hide it like every other suckup in the universe. 
Wow. Why is that an acceptable trait in a president? A bartender sure but a president? Come on now.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived