Govt pledges to eradicate poverty ahead of general election

rooster59

Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK, 14 July 2018 (NNT) – The government has pledged its commitment to eradicate poverty ahead of a general election which would be held in the next eight months, said Prime Minister's Office Minister Kobsak Pootrakool. 

In a national televised broadcast, he said that the government is currently on track to solve poverty, reduce inequalities, reform governing bodies, and promote public participation in politics in order to pave way for Thailand with a better future. 

He said the government intended to meet the public's needs before the general election expected in the next eight months, adding that the government has accomplished many campaigns to increase income among the general public, such as the grouping of local manufacturers, reducing dependencies with informal loans, and enhancing the value of local products. 

The government has been promoting community enterprises and provide support in forms of village funds which are legally recognized, as well as certifying the work of community enterprises to promote savings, which helps villagers being more sufficient without borrowing money from informal loans. 

The government is preparing the country for an ageing society, particularly enhancing the healthcare system for bed-ridden patients as well as the land rights and welfare campaigns for low-income earners, with the goal to have 400,000 retailers participating in this campaign in the future.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-07-15

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

In a national televised broadcast, he said that the government is currently on track to solve poverty, reduce inequalities,

Marvelous! Why not promise to stamp out original sin while he is at it? Utterly ridiculous and totally unbelievable thing to say, though I guess there are some out there stupid enough to believe it. Poverty is not going away here, at least not for a very long time and probably never.

OMG .... This sounds too much like "Make Thailand Great Again". I don't think there's enough room for two huge, dilusional hot air balloons at the same time. Dream on.

I don't think there is a country on the planet that has wiped out poverty, but Prayut is going to do it in Thailand of all places in 8 months? I had thought Jesus with the bread and the fish was quite an impressive feat, but this will be nothing short of TRULY miraculous.

Eradicating poverty is something a Miss Universe would wish for after world peace. It wont happen. 

Then again Prayut is aiming this narrative at the poor, uneducated voters who might just swollow it like it is their last meal.

28 minutes ago, neeray said:

OMG .... This sounds too much like "Make Thailand Great Again". I don't think there's enough room for two huge, dilusional hot air balloons at the same time. Dream on.

I'm sure one of the hot air balloons will deny Thailand needs to be made great "again" as it never lost it's standing in the world. "Greater" maybe.

Didn't Thaksin say something like, 'Vote for me (or Yingluck) and you will all be rich in a year ...'?

It's amazing how the junta - sworn enemies of Thaksin - are aping so many of his words, actions and gestures.

Except that - the poor Thais, in general, really do love Thaksin (who DID start to change their lives) - but at best ENDURE Prayut.

31 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I don't think there is a country on the planet that has wiped out poverty, but Prayut is going to do it in Thailand of all places in 8 months? I had thought Jesus with the bread and the fish was quite an impressive feat, but this will be nothing short of TRULY miraculous.

That's due to impressive feet - we need to follow in those footsteps now.

Unless mass genocide is on the agenda,  which I doubt,  it would take decades to remove poverty and that can only be acheived by ensuring educational standards are improved,  the infrastructure to support the challenges of access to suitable places of higher education( not to mention a 100% overall of the educational establishment)  and above all else re-educating the rich elite and privileged to accept that the current corrupt system that maintains there wealth and positions historically will end one day.

32 minutes ago, djjamie said:

Eradicating poverty is something a Miss Universe would wish for after world peace. It wont happen. 

Then again Prayut is aiming this narrative at the poor, uneducated voters who might just swollow it like it is their last meal.

I can visualise it now - whirled peas.

My village neighbors will be ecstatic. No more tractors going down the road at 5.30am, no more coming home at 7pm, wages higher than 300b a day and all the Lao Kao they can handle. Perhaps they will even get more than 3 pairs of sandals, 3 shirts and a proper rain coat. 

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

the government has accomplished many campaigns to increase income among the general public

Closing hundred of small local business asking them to comply to a law impossible to comply with.

In a national televised broadcast, he said that the government is currently on track to solve poverty, reduce inequalities, reform governing bodies, and promote public participation in politics in order to pave way for Thailand with a better future. 

ah 

do they have a road map?

Oh dear! I know that we have the standing problems with delaying the elections over and over again. This on the other hand will definately delay the elections on a perment basis.

3 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Oh dear! I know that we have the standing problems with delaying the elections over and over again. This on the other hand will definately delay the elections on a perment basis.

Yes indeed.

I can hear Prayut saying: 'What do you want? Do you want people to go out and vote when they have not yet got enough food on their plate? Do you think they will have enough time or energy for that? We are working day and night to lift the level of the Thai people - so they will then have enough food, energy and income to go to the polls. What do you want? People without good jobs to have to vote? Do you think we are monsters? Or what do you want? Do you want that Bad Man to come back from abroad and start chaos all over again ...?!!!'

8 minutes ago, MekkOne said:

the government has accomplished many campaigns to increase income among the general public

Closing hundred of small local business asking them to comply to a law impossible to comply with.

" increase income among the general public"  Do you think that's a misprint?

Should it be: "increase income among the generals"?

He is on tracks right, not sure which ones though.

minimu wage gone up 30 baht per day, prices went up by 10% or so

pineapple market destroyed, limes on the way out, crack downs after crack downs , road blocks on daily basis .

yup right on tracks 

Archived