Govt pledges to eradicate poverty ahead of general election

rooster59

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sure one of the hot air balloons will deny Thailand needs to be made great "again" as it never lost it's standing in the world. "Greater" maybe.

..Hmm,did this "ballons"ever take off..or was it as usuall only hot air blowing..

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Marvelous! Why not promise to stamp out original sin while he is at it? Utterly ridiculous and totally unbelievable thing to say, though I guess there are some out there stupid enough to believe it. Poverty is not going away here, at least not for a very long time and probably never.

One of the miracles of modern humanity is that however tall the tale, there's always at least a few and sometimes many, who will choose to believe it, in spite of all the evidence of non-delivery on previous 'vows'.

There's likely a good few on TV who will believe it as well, after all, there's a good few believe in Christianity and Buddhism so Prayuth's BS wouldn't be much of a stretch by comparison. All that's required is a little suspension of disbelief

While economics is not a zero sum game, broadly speaking, if there is a rich elite to cater form, then that is a group taking more than their fair share (and it;s Lonson to a housebrick they got their money dishonestly - that's always the way), There must therefore therefore be a group getting less than their fair share, it's just arithmetic.

If 100 guys get twice their ration of swill at the trough, then there must be at least 100 guys who don't get any (I'll just sit and wait for the barstool economists to tell me that this black is in fact white...).

Now we all know about the landed barons in Thailand. There's 1 guy who could give 25,000THB to every man, woman and child in Thailand, and that's just one guy... Would any of them be willing to give up a few of their ill-gotten shekels so poverty can be eradicated? Would Prayuth show his good offices by being first in line perhaps?

Didn't think so, but I guess we'll see - all in good time.

The government has its work cut out. A son-in-law's mother does the weekly markets around Udon selling barbecued pork. She says sales have become increasingly sluggish over the last year. I'm hoping it's because more Issan people are turning vegetarian but somehow I doubt my own thoughts.

A neighbour's daughter working near in a factory near Chonburi has just been told there is now no more overtime till the New Year.

It took China and other Asian countries over 20 years to lessen the number of pore people.  He will do it in less than a year with far less smarter people in government.  What China did was it got out of the way.  Allowed foreign investment.  Made visas easier.  Vietnam is doing the same.  Again, big on talk not so big on details.  This statement alone should outlaw coups in the future.  Stupid people should not run a government, unless elected. 

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

Didn't Thaksin say something like, 'Vote for me (or Yingluck) and you will all be rich in a year ...'?

It's amazing how the junta - sworn enemies of Thaksin - are aping so many of his words, actions and gestures.

Except that - the poor Thais, in general, really do love Thaksin (who DID start to change their lives) - but at best ENDURE Prayut.

Did anyone else remember what Thaksin said: "In 5 years Thailand will have no poor people, all the poor people will be dead ".

My wife has often quoted this, and as you say Thai's really do like Thaksin if he comes back tomorrow,  my wife would still vote for him for sure, she still says he did a lot, for her especially on the control of Yar- Bar.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In a national televised broadcast, he said that the government is currently on track to solve poverty, reduce inequalities, reform governing bodies, and promote public participation in politics in order to pave way for Thailand with a better future

If these clowns could achieve anywhere near what they are promising, the would deserve to run the whole world.

By the way, I like the stealth caveat - 8 months from now is mid March.

35 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

What complete bollo_ks! A competent government, with the best will in the world, wouldn't make such an exaggerated claim. 

Completely agree with you, Jonmarleesco. They are total idiots. And it is always a sign of a true idiot that he never even begins to get a glimmer of undetstanding that he is, in fact, a complete and total idiot.

'Moron' is too generous a term - equal to Einstein in this comparison!

1 minute ago, KhunFred said:

That would not only be a first for Thailand, but a first for ANY country. I am not aware of anyplace that is poverty-free.

But Thailand IS the first in everything - didn't you know that?!!!!!

If they are going to delay elections till there is no more poor people, there will never be another election in Thailand, which I think is P's goal.  He is so jealous of Xi in China with is "PM for Life" title.  That's what he wants, and he'll get it, one dead Thai at a time. 

IF and I repeat IF Prayut achieves this aspiration he deserves to be elected as PM. 

Then again IF he achieves this he would make more money becoming a consultant to governments and NGO's across the planet telling them how to achieve this ideal that no government has ever achieved.

Archived