Shutting down an Android Box.

KhunHeineken

There is a proper way to shut down a desktop, laptop and tablet computer, which allows them to go through a process, before they turn off. 

This is the same when you turn off your mobile phone.

With an Android Box, I close off all apps, and then there doesn't seem to be any proper procedure to shut down any processes going on inside the box, before you cut the power to the box.  I know there is no onboard power in the box, which leads to my simple question, is there a proper way to shut down an Android Box?  Likewise, is there an incorrect way to shut down an Android Box?

I always feel a little uneasy seeing all the Apps and information on the TV screen, and then I just pull the plug out, which is completely different to the way you actually turn off other computing and mobile devices.

Just now, KhunHeineken said:

Please delete this one as I added another question to my original post.

Sorry... your original post (this topic) has a link to it from the AV Forum where you originally posted it.

To delete this topic would leave a dead link in the AV Forum.

Please add your additional question to this topic as I have already removed your duplicate topic.

51 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Sorry... your original post (this topic) has a link to it from the AV Forum where you originally posted it.

To delete this topic would leave a dead link in the AV Forum.

Please add your additional question to this topic as I have already removed your duplicate topic.

Sorry about the problem.  My error.

My android box has an off button on the remote control. I think Android is based on Unix and it doesn't clear cache memory on shutting down so you need a cache cleaner apk of which there are many in the Google store. I have one Android box taken out by a brownout, it doesn't get past the boot screen, tried a factory reset and still the same. 

38 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

My android box has an off button on the remote control. I think Android is based on Unix and it doesn't clear cache memory on shutting down so you need a cache cleaner apk of which there are many in the Google store. I have one Android box taken out by a brownout, it doesn't get past the boot screen, tried a factory reset and still the same. 

I have a cheap one, with no on / off button, and recently bought a more expensive one, that has an on / off button.  The button seem to just kill the power in the same way unplugging it does.  For example, there's no spinning wheel before it turns off, or anything to say it is shutting down. 

I have the same apps that I have on my android phone, but that has a shut down process.

I gather the hardware is the same, so was wondering can I do any damage if I just unplug either of them, or can a power black out do any damage if it's in use at the time.  Your experience says it's possible. 

3 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I have a cheap one, with no on / off button, and recently bought a more expensive one, that has an on / off button.  The button seem to just kill the power in the same way unplugging it does.  For example, there's no spinning wheel before it turns off, or anything to say it is shutting down. 

I have the same apps that I have on my android phone, but that has a shut down process.

I gather the hardware is the same, so was wondering can I do any damage if I just unplug either of them, or can a power black out do any damage if it's in use at the time.  Your experience says it's possible. 

Mine was taken out during a thunderstorm, we lost a 48'' tv during a different thunderstorm and I think it was actually the satellite box that did it. The thunderstorm was close and I think there was a buildup of charge that came down the screen from the satellite dish. I have seen in Global constant voltage transformers, they look like a large metal box with a voltmeter on the front and I saw them used a lot in India but a friend bought one after his fridge was damaged during a thunderstorm.

http://purevoltproductspvtl.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008820245127/pdtl/Voltage-transformer/1158089998/Constant-Voltage-Transformer.htm

should I connect it to a UPS?

I have 4 UPS .... so have TV and boxes connected.. PC /monitor/Printer to another...  in the day when I bought the UPS [many years ago] they were around 1,600  baht each, cost 280 - 350 baht every 6 - 9 months for replacement Batteries far cheaper than having to replace any of the items they are protecting is the way I look at it....

On 7/15/2018 at 5:45 PM, sandrabbit said:

Mine was taken out during a thunderstorm, we lost a 48'' tv during a different thunderstorm and I think it was actually the satellite box that did it. The thunderstorm was close and I think there was a buildup of charge that came down the screen from the satellite dish. I have seen in Global constant voltage transformers, they look like a large metal box with a voltmeter on the front and I saw them used a lot in India but a friend bought one after his fridge was damaged during a thunderstorm.

http://purevoltproductspvtl.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008820245127/pdtl/Voltage-transformer/1158089998/Constant-Voltage-Transformer.htm

I've seen boxes like these all over South East Asia.  Some of them are quite large. 

I use a simple surge protector between the power point and a power board which has all my electronic devices plugged into it, but I believe these surge protectors are pretty much useless because they only use two pins and you need the third pin to direct the surge down to earth.  

I'm prepared to buy one of these for domestic use.  Any idea of the cost of a small basic unit?

On 7/16/2018 at 9:56 AM, ignis said:

I have 4 UPS .... so have TV and boxes connected.. PC /monitor/Printer to another...  in the day when I bought the UPS [many years ago] they were around 1,600  baht each, cost 280 - 350 baht every 6 - 9 months for replacement Batteries far cheaper than having to replace any of the items they are protecting is the way I look at it....

I was going to ask this question in the previous post but will ask it to you.

With the UPS offering surge protection but only having two pins, can they really protect against a surge?  I read somewhere the batteries absorb the surge.  Is this correct?

I have no problem running a UPS along with one of the small constant voltage transformers suggested by sandrabbit.

To update this thread, I have one of the latest Minix android boxes.  I loaned it to a friend and have just got it back.

It has an on / off button and has a shut down process.  You actually select shut down on the screen and it goes through some type of process before turning off.

The other two boxes I have do not have any shut down process.  You just turn them off at the power source.  One of them is a cheap box but the other is a bit expensive and has good specs. 

The Minix is a great android box and will be my main android device.  

I find it strange the other boxes have no real shut down process, and was wondering if simply cutting the power to them, either by myself or experiencing a blackout, can damage them. 

13 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I've seen boxes like these all over South East Asia.  Some of them are quite large. 

I use a simple surge protector between the power point and a power board which has all my electronic devices plugged into it, but I believe these surge protectors are pretty much useless because they only use two pins and you need the third pin to direct the surge down to earth.  

I'm prepared to buy one of these for domestic use.  Any idea of the cost of a small basic unit?

Yes, you are correct, without an earth a surge protector can only give a limited protection, at best self destructing. Same with a UPS, it is more a protection from brown outs and voltage fluctuations etc with a limited surge protection, and needs an earth to be truly effective.. 

19 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I find it strange the other boxes have no real shut down process, and was wondering if simply cutting the power to them, either by myself or experiencing a blackout, can damage them. 

In the worst instance maybe some damage to a file currently being written to storage (SD card etc), like a photo being copied/saved etc. In most instances the actual OS/app is read only and any dynamic OS/app files will be recreated next boot up.

18 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

In the worst instance maybe some damage to a file currently being written to storage (SD card etc), like a photo being copied/saved etc. In most instances the actual OS/app is read only and any dynamic OS/app files will be recreated next boot up.

Ok. Thanks. I've pulled the battery out of android phones but always shut the phone down first. The android OS seems pretty resilient to power failure, which is a good thing because I get some blackouts. 

On 7/20/2018 at 11:25 AM, KhunHeineken said:

Ok. Thanks. I've pulled the battery out of android phones but always shut the phone down first. The android OS seems pretty resilient to power failure, which is a good thing because I get some blackouts. 

Mine has no power off on the box, but one on the remote which does the proper shutdown process. Sometimes the box freezes though, only thing then is to pull the plug. 

Archived