BANGKOK 21 February 2019 06:18
rooster59

There is a reason why expats are not glued to their TV sets like the West

2 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Thai tv is unwatchable,i have netflix.

Added to Netflix I like the free movie web sites. Three are my favorites. I avoid CAM movies on all. Quit US TV 30 years ago

Australian TV is pretty rotten, tho'I have met a number of "square eyes" since I have been back..usually glued to sports channels where the adds feature pretty sylph like females selling dietary foods to the bovines...or flogging funeral insurance to the aging couch potatoes existing in God's Waiting Room.

Like other posters I enjoy YouTube.

I don't have facebook and I am not even remotely tempted to go there.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Read the first sentence, knew exactly who wrote this

He must have nearly popped a blood vessel restraining his ego and conceit ALL THE WAY to the second to last paragraph. 

What a life, how could I possibly go back to such humdrum after creating a more extraordinary life? 

Dan is the man though.  He's been a crusty old expat for sooooooo long, he'd completely forgotten the UK has shit weather. ?

• Like 1

We occasionally watch à la carte quality tv with a 14 days' history for every transmission.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

they have two days where they do not need to work

That in itself says it all.

I learnt a long time ago that 5/7th's even 6/7ths of my life was going to be working, "the life sentence".

I couldn't see myself working a single day, ever again, never, it ain't gonna happen, nop, nah, ever ! 

5 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Live TV, movie viewing habits to continue sharp decline in 2018

This is in the US - TV capital of the world. It has a whole industry petrified. It has been in decline since 2014 and before that viewing was "stationary" at best. This is  backed up by my trips back home. There might be a sports game on but nothing else friends and family are watching. Cheesehead needs to get out more often, I bet its the same in the UK.

Deceiving with the 'live' and 'movie viewing'.  Latest statistics I could find, 2017, show Americans still watching 5 hours of tv a day, on average.  Different surveys put it from 4 to 8 hours but 5 hours came up several times.  Whatever survey you choose, that's a lot of tv watching.  "Live" and 'movie viewing' might be declining in America but I doubt tv watching in general is.

My US friends talk about TV and TV stars and I don't have a clue what they are talking about.  Game of Thrones is about the only show I've attempted to keep up with and given all the restrictions on Internet viewing that pretty much means waiting for the DVDs to be released.  But given that GRRM has dropped the ball on the whole epic, I'm about to drop it too. As far as I can tell, HBO just wrote the end to the SOIAF series.  A Dream of Spring?  <laughs>  Never gonna happen.  Can't even get Winds of Winter to press and DB Weiss must be winging it. So as far as TV goes? <yawn>

In the UK I literally threw my TV out of the window because of the rubbish it produced and lived without TV for years. Here in Thailand I only watch what I download using the TV screen.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

TV is the opium of the masses, and the op is correct about the UK, the normal work day leaves most people exhausted to do anything else and the weather leads most to seek indoor pursuits ... and that’s TV for most people. The younger generation are hooked on their own opium, Facebook, instagram ... and other such nonsense, giving the impression of an exciting and glamorous life ... that’s not a reflection of their reality. The weather in Thailand and the lower cost of eating out leads people to get out more and be more social, not a bad thing.

"to get out more and be more social.."

I agree with you 100% and it is,in fact,one the biggest things I miss about Thailand.The colour,vibrancy,sheer energy and the sociable people.

• Like 2