There is a reason why expats are not glued to their TV sets like the West

rooster59

1 hour ago, The manic said:

In the UK I literally threw my TV out of the window because of the rubbish it produced and lived without TV for years. Here in Thailand I only watch what I download using the TV screen.

Did you also throw out your PC because spam arrived in your inbox? Or maybe the radio because it played the wrong music? You seem to be a smart cookie...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you also throw out your PC because spam arrived in your inbox? Or maybe the radio because it played the wrong music? You seem to be a smart cookie...

It was a smart move albeit spontaneous. Spam I control and the computer is a creative and communicative tool for me. As for radio..I stopped listening to that when Radio Caroline closed down. Apart from R4 but I find that unbearable now apart from The Archers.

The whole premise of the article is stupid.  He's petrified to move back because people in the UK watch TV. People live in the UK for the weekends because they work Monday to Friday.  Get a grip!  Yes there is a change in the way people view entertainment these days. Whether it's TV or Netflix, You Tube or a host of other options like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, it seems people are still hooked to their devices. Whereas the working guy may go home and watch TV in the evening, the younger generation is never off their smart phones, even AT WORK.  Seems my friends in Thailand know more about movies and TV programs than I do.  Most of them seem to enjoy lunch with their expat friends  but at night they are on their computers, TV's, Netflix, etc. just like everywhere else.  Thais are hooked on their soap operas for sure.  So I don't see the point of the article at all.  Maybe his only valid point is that sun makes you happy, cold does not. If that's the case it's all about the weather.  So maybe people in Hawaii watch less TV than people in New York too having nothing to do with being an expat. 

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

Too true. And the streets are unsafe after dark

Cultures changed a lot too in a relatively short time

I doubt its  still ok in most companies to sink a few pints and a meat pie  from 1-2 and go back in to work until 5

And then maybe have a session after work on pay days.... 

Old style pubs had more character and characters... 

Ancient Tobacco stains on the ceilings from old men smoking pipes from generations past

Now they've all changed and not for the better in most cases

10 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Cultures changed a lot too in a relatively short time

I doubt its  still ok in most companies to sink a few pints and a meat pie  from 1-2 and go back in to work until 5

And then maybe have a session after work on pay days.... 

Old style pubs had more character and characters... 

Ancient Tobacco stains on the ceilings from old men smoking pipes from generations past

Now they've all changed and not for the better in most cases

Too true

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

Too true

Depending on your age It used to be fairly normal to drive home after a couple of drinks 

Now you would need to add taxi fares to the equasion which makes a drink after work all the more prohibitivly expensive 

It's no surprise that a lot of the old school pubs are dead or dying 

I went back for holiday last year and the pubs that were open  were practically empty....... 

Not so many with pool tables or darts anymore either

On 7/15/2018 at 9:58 AM, Lungstib said:

Even in the U.K. (till I was 27) I never watched much TV. Then I spent many years in adventure travel and TV wasn't available. Since spending more time in a home in Thailand I have found the TV to be almost impossible to watch. The programs are poor and the ads so awful that I drive my wife crazy with my comments. Books took over in my mid 20's and are still my main form of evening entertainment.

Back in the UK I never watched anything live except football matches, anything I wanted to watch, I just 

taped it on video.

On 7/15/2018 at 11:26 AM, marko kok prong said:

Thai tv is unwatchable,i have netflix.

Unfortunately, Netflix all to often give you a TV series, you watch it then find

the last part of the series is missing.

The also start some series's from halfway through.

ie Blue Bloods started around series 3, finished around series 4. then came series 6, and then finished again.

Doctor Martin gave you the whole series up to series 7, then missed out the last series which was series 8.

22 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Added to Netflix I like the free movie web sites. Three are my favorites. I avoid CAM movies on all. Quit US TV 30 years ago

Some of these free movie websites just buffer all the time.

Well I get up, have brekkies, help Mrs Owl with the housework. Then it's time for lunch. After lunch (and the dishes) i read a book. Then it time for tea. After tea (and the washing up) it's time for sex. After three more hours it's time for bed.

On days when it is not raining I go fishing instead of reading.

Have no time for tv.

Becoming so easy to guess who is writer of this Dสมน cheesy slop, even before you open the thread.

Guy just tell it for real will you?!!

-is getting to dสmn expensive to go out nightime, most place in the west.

-westerners at home, many just so bored with life.

just get doped out on weed and can watch anything. even if tv turned off!

-there is only rubbish, silly lackhorns, and 30 year old movies show on thai TV.

who can be interest in this anyway?

-cheap beer, cheap women and many places like Pattaya for angry, young, horny, silly yobbos to run wild.

and as for old farts, to say the letters TV , to them the only meaning is ThaiVisa

where can go moan and winge about Thai lady and loosing house and assets!

On 7/16/2018 at 7:51 PM, tingtongtourist said:

Becoming so easy to guess who is writer of this Dสมน cheesy slop, even before you open the thread.

Guy just tell it for real will you?!!

-is getting to dสmn expensive to go out nightime, most place in the west.

-westerners at home, many just so bored with life.

just get doped out on weed and can watch anything. even if tv turned off!

-there is only rubbish, silly lackhorns, and 30 year old movies show on thai TV.

who can be interest in this anyway?

-cheap beer, cheap women and many places like Pattaya for angry, young, horny, silly yobbos to run wild.

and as for old farts, to say the letters TV , to them the only meaning is ThaiVisa

where can go moan and winge about Thai lady and loosing house and assets!

Plenty of old men propping up bars.... Unfortunately they often have similar stories

Came with life savings and bought land, built mansion and farm and new car etc for the wife + parents

Soon ran out of cash and got turfed out etc

I buy them a pint if they catch me on a good day but its a sad but not uncommon story 

I'm losing the will to live reading this guys incredible 'insights'

Fwiw, I completely disagree with him. People in the UK have way more of a better social life than the average expat here, here it is either sitting at home, in a bar, or in a mall. The simple fact is it's usually too hot to do anything.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:18 AM, AlQaholic said:

Watching TV is something one does when one has no purpose and nothing useful to do with one's life.

I have no purpose and nothing to do with my life.

So mostly I drink beer (and smoke weed in the UK).

Archived