Primary school level Thai

EricTh

Does anybody know the syllabus of the Thai primary school for learning Thai language? What vocabulary and grammar do they teach for each level?

I would like to know which level I am at when compared to Thai kids in terms of vocabulary and grammar (not so much in writing)

12 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Just google ภาษาไทย ป 1
Lots of stuff there, you can look at any year you want, I looked at ป5 and Google added เรียนอะไรบ้าง plenty there.

Thanks. Oh my god, their Grade 1 is quite advanced. They could make long complete sentences and not just 'thank you' or 'have you eaten'.

These Thai learning schools for foreigners don't even teach the things they teach in Pratom Grade 1.

You are right, I bought many school books and learnt all my grammar, how to form words, tone rules etc from them, the teacher's notes give some good practical lessons too. I wish now that I had made a better job of it but I enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks. Oh my god, their Grade 1 is quite advanced. They could make long complete sentences and not just 'thank you' or 'have you eaten'.

These Thai learning schools for foreigners don't even teach the things they teach in Pratom Grade 1.

I think you'll get a shock if you attempted the grade 6 Thai test for Falangs. Unless you worked for an international school that is. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

On 7/16/2018 at 1:08 PM, EricTh said:

The maani readers are very good. Search them on google. Lots there. 

It's great to expose oneself to different bodies of linguistic knowledge, and strive for different types of goals/standards in one's learning...but I would caution the OP in taking too much stock in children's learning materials or trying to compare your level of language development in a foreign language to that of native speakers at any age, and that includes elementary school age.

Keep in mind that by the time Thai kids start kindergarten, they already possess a HUGE spoken vocabulary and facility with Thai grammar, including lots of very practical things like minute descriptions of physical actions and orientation in space, everyday objects, use of classifiers, etc., probably more than you could hope to attain studying for 10 years as an adult foreigner. And that's not even touching on all the vocabulary they've picked up listening to adults speak, listening to the always-on Thai TV in their home, etc. My girlfriend and I are constantly amazed at how much her 5 year old grandson can understand, especially since his development of speaking has lagged a bit. And that's what Thai kids really have over you in the language skills department: the ability to understand pretty much any conversation by native speakers that takes place barely within earshot, no matter how garbled, rapid, or colloquial.

So, I don't mean to discourage you from picking up things from materials made for native-speaking children, just to encourage you to think realistically about the relative gulf between the Thai proficiency of native speaking children and your own.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 7:39 AM, Chou Anou said:

It's great to expose oneself to different bodies of linguistic knowledge, and strive for different types of goals/standards in one's learning...but I would caution the OP in taking too much stock in children's learning materials or trying to compare your level of language development in a foreign language to that of native speakers at any age, and that includes elementary school age.

Keep in mind that by the time Thai kids start kindergarten, they already possess a HUGE spoken vocabulary and facility with Thai grammar, including lots of very practical things like minute descriptions of physical actions and orientation in space, everyday objects, use of classifiers, etc., probably more than you could hope to attain studying for 10 years as an adult foreigner. And that's not even touching on all the vocabulary they've picked up listening to adults speak, listening to the always-on Thai TV in their home, etc. My girlfriend and I are constantly amazed at how much her 5 year old grandson can understand, especially since his development of speaking has lagged a bit. And that's what Thai kids really have over you in the language skills department: the ability to understand pretty much any conversation by native speakers that takes place barely within earshot, no matter how garbled, rapid, or colloquial.

So, I don't mean to discourage you from picking up things from materials made for native-speaking children, just to encourage you to think realistically about the relative gulf between the Thai proficiency of native speaking children and your own.

And I thought that the Thai taught for foreigners are better than primary school level 1 Thai kids. LOL.

On 7/18/2018 at 7:41 AM, DavisH said:

The maani readers are very good. Search them on google. Lots there. 

I have one on my iPhone with a translation in English it is not on the AppStore for a long time.

And its free :smile:

IMG_3012.png

Archived