Obtaining a Thai SE Tourist Visa in Vietnam

Hi, 

Could you guys just point out if my preparations are correct or if there's something missing that I've not thought about. (I like to be prepared). 

First 3 Months

- I've rented a condo in Thailand for 8 months

- First entry is by Air and I've a SE Tourist Visa that will be extended (60+30)

- While checking in (Sweden) I'll carry a flight ticket BKK-HCMC on day 85 (matching the rules that I must leave within 90 days that the check-in counters now enforce quite robust)

- I'll also carry a return flight ticket BKK-SWE but that's not relevant since that date is 8 months ahead (but that detail I'll ask more about in a minute)

I think these 3 months are all good and prepared for. (?). 

Visa Run 1

- I have a flight ticket to HCMC and a return ticket 5 days later to BKK. 
- I'm from Sweden and if I understand it correctly I'm not forced to apply for a visa since my stay is below 15 days. 

- I will apply for a new SETV for Thailand

- Am I required to have a 'new' exit ticket from Thailand within these 3 new months I'm about to aquire? 

- I have 'heard' that if you carry a signed statement of you bank accounts sufficient enough to cover a METV, an exit ticket from Thailand is not needed (true/false?) 

- I have a exit ticket from Thailand but please remember that this will be ~ 5 months away when I'm applying for my "second" SETV in HCMC. 

Visa Run 2

- ~ 5.8 months will now have expired of my total trip lenght of 8 months.

- A new Tourist Visa (90 days) will not be needed. only ~5 days abroad and re-enter by air and extend by 30 at immigration will cover my time before returning to Sweden from BKK. 

Are there any immediate problems you can see with my planning - please point them out. I appreciate all feedback. If you wanna throw in a "here's a good tip" that would be great too. 

?

Edited by aldriglikvid

4 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

While checking in (Sweden) I'll carry a flight ticket BKK-HCMC on day 85 (matching the rules that I must leave within 90 days that the check-in counters now enforce quite robust)

I have never heard of such a requirement. A return or onward ticket is not required if you have a valid visa for entry.

Visa Run 1

- I have a flight ticket to HCMC and a return ticket 5 days later to BKK. 
- I'm from Sweden and if I understand it correctly I'm not forced to apply for a visa since my stay is below 15 days. 

- I will apply for a new SETV for Thailand

Am I required to have a 'new' exit ticket from Thailand within these 3 new months I'm about to aquire? 

- I have 'heard' that if you carry a signed statement of you bank accounts sufficient enough to cover a METV, an exit ticket from Thailand is not needed (true/false?) 

You will get a 15 day visa exempt entry when you enter Vietnam.

To apply for the single entry tourist visa at the consulate in HCMC you will need to show a ticket out of the country within 90 days.

You also need a copy of a bank statement showing the equivalent of at least 20k baht to apply.

Visa Run 2

- ~ 5.8 months will now have expired of my total trip lenght of 8 months.

- A new Tourist Visa (90 days) will not be needed. only ~5 days abroad and re-enter by air and extend by 30 at immigration will cover my time before returning to Sweden from BKK. 

No problem with your plans other than the possibley of need a return or onward ticket within 30 days to board you flight back to here.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will get a 15 day visa exempt entry when you enter Vietnam.

To apply for the single entry tourist visa at the consulate in HCMC you will need to show a ticket out of the country within 90 days.

You also need a copy of a bank statement showing the equivalent of at least 20k baht to apply.

You will also need to show a ticket INTO Thailand.

Ticket out does not need to be an air ticket, it can be a train ticket.

Thanks, 

1) 

My airline is Finnair and they confirmed to me the other day that even if I had Single Entry Tourist Visa to Thailand I will need to show a ticket exiting Thailand, with a departure within 90 days. My original return ticket to Sweden (that is 8 months ahead) would not be sufficient, they said. 

That's why I will book my short Vietnam trip already - out of fear not being allowed to check in from Sweden because no proof of onward travel within 3 months. 

As you are very knowledgeable in this matter, do you suggest me asking Finnair again? 

2)

The bank statements are in SEK. 

Should I make the bank to translate it to THB/USD as well? 

3)

When booking my ticket to Vietnam I will make sure to make a return flight at the same time. 

3 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

The bank statements are in SEK. 

That should not be necessary. Just make sure you have something printed showing current exchange rates from SEK into USD or THB.

10 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

2) The bank statements are in SEK. 

Get the bank book updated before you go.

I presented a 6 month old bankbook and they wouldn't accept it so had to show cash instead.

Maybe get an online printout / screenshot of your accounts just before you apply in case a 3 month old statement is not accepted.

Edit: Or maybe try to open an account in Thailand and have money transferred to it if you'll be there a while.

Edited by LongTimeLurker