Elon Musk calls British diver in Thai cave rescue a 'pedo' in baseless attack

webfact

14 minutes ago, canopy said:

ANYONE who claims the sub was a bad idea, flawed from the start, or had no chance of working is insulting the cave experts who came up with the concept, set the design requirements, believed in it, and encouraged its development because they saw a practical use for it in this mission.These are experts that demonstrated excellent judgement and pulled off a successful mission. For someone who wasn't there to act like they know better is simply nonsense. Stanton envisioned a scenario where the sub in his words "may well be used". So please tell us how Stanton went wrong and stop trying to hide behind elon, it isn't working.

may well be used!! IF it could have been ready in time! Who says the design as it stands right now could have worked? Stanton? NO! And the opinions that it wouldnt work in its present configuration given the state of the cave AT THE TIME OF RESCUE are correct. No one said the idea was flawed from the start! Youre making all this up

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, canopy said:

ANYONE who claims the sub was a bad idea, flawed from the start, or had no chance of working is insulting the cave experts who came up with the concept, set the design requirements, believed in it, and encouraged its development because they saw a practical use for it in this mission.These are experts that demonstrated excellent judgement and pulled off a successful mission. For someone who wasn't there to act like they know better is simply nonsense. Stanton envisioned a scenario where the sub in his words "may well be used". So please tell us how Stanton went wrong and stop trying to hide behind elon, it isn't working.

Would you like to quote the whole comment, not just nit-pick a bit to push your biased one track agenda - it isn't working. 

Here is the actual full story. Excellent piece of writing with all the relevant tweets included as proof.

Forget all the biased news with false narratives.

"As to why Unsworth chose to throw scorn at Musk’s motives, only he can say. Perhaps he was simply riding the false narrative supported by so many others.

All we do know is what he said — which was, at best, rather uncharitable.

Musk didn’t take it well. "

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-full-story-behind-Elon-Musks-involvement-with-the-Thai-cave-rescue-effort

It also shows the email where musk asked specifically for them to tell him if the sub was useless so that he wouldn't have to bother flying it out.

13 hours ago, hobz said:

Here is the actual full story. Excellent piece of writing with all the relevant tweets included as proof.

Forget all the biased news with false narratives.

"As to why Unsworth chose to throw scorn at Musk’s motives, only he can say. Perhaps he was simply riding the false narrative supported by so many others.

All we do know is what he said — which was, at best, rather uncharitable.

Musk didn’t take it well. "

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-full-story-behind-Elon-Musks-involvement-with-the-Thai-cave-rescue-effort

It also shows the email where musk asked specifically for them to tell him if the sub was useless so that he wouldn't have to bother flying it out.

Pretty comprehensive history of the known events so far. Somewhat pro-Musk, it gives a nonetheless realistic scenario of how any legal defence might be presented. The overwhelming majority of Musk's tweets express concern and desire to help rather than PR and it's only on a couple of occasions that he snapped, albeit totally disproportionately in the case of Unsworth's CNN interview. Given the general tone of the piece, I was pleased to see the writer's final conclusions:

"Musk’s PR needs aside, I think we’re right to condemn him for words to Unsworth (a provoked but disproportionate response). Working under the assumption that Unsworth is innocent of the charge, he should sue for libel. If he can’t afford to, he should be helped. Or Musk should reach out proactively to donate to a charity of Unsworth’s choice to begin his amends."

22 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

may well be used!! IF it could have been ready in time!...No one said the idea was flawed from the start! Youre making all this up

Wow, I am genuinely surprised at your optimism on the sub approach. There are many people here who have expressed the sub was a bad idea and could never work. I made a mistake in assuming you were one of them. Even just a few posts earlier Artisi claimed "his sub-marine that was a flawed design from the start" so clearly i am NOT making this up.

1 minute ago, canopy said:

Wow, I am genuinely surprised at your optimism on the sub approach. There are many people here who have expressed the sub was a bad idea and could never work. I made a mistake in assuming you were one of them. Even just a few posts earlier Artisi claimed "his sub-marine that was a flawed design from the start" so clearly i am NOT making this up.

You know what a proto type is and meaning? 

6 minutes ago, canopy said:

since when is the final design the same as an original idea?

20 minutes ago, canopy said:

You are correct, I did say flawed design, which was incorrect, what I should have said was flawed  concept. 

And don't forget this idea came from the same guy who I am lead to believe, rightly praised the guys operating the pumps but also was very clear in diminishing the role played by the divers to the point that they were  not required, as the kids and coach could have swum out by themselves - the same way as they entered the cave - really amazing  considering the cave was dry when they entered and they can't swim. 

But don't let facts get in your way. 

3 minutes ago, Artisi said:

But don't let facts get in your way. 

Elon NEVER said "as the kids and coach could have swum out by themselves", this is your twisted words! There can be no better indicator that you have lost the argument than seeing you make up your own phrases to pin on other people and call them facts.

3 minutes ago, canopy said:

Elon NEVER said "as the kids and coach could have swum out by themselves", this is your twisted words! There can be no better indicator that you have lost the argument than seeing you make up your own phrases to pin on other people and call them facts.

you been doin that since this thing started

44 minutes ago, canopy said:

put your glasses and have a read - still laughing ?

musk.jpg

So let's compare:

Artisi:  as the kids and coach could have swum out by themselves

Elon:  you could literally have sum to Cave 5 with no gear

Thank you for correcting yourself. My impression of you just went up a notch.

Inference, do you know what that means?

But as usual you are nit-picking the original comment for your own benefit. 

Just so you are clear , I have attached the original comment pertaining to the swim comment.

"...as the kids and coach could have swum out by themselves - the same way as they entered the cave - really amazing  considering the cave was dry when they entered and they can't swim. " 

End of discussion for me, much better things to do with my time than trying to correct your misconceptions.

"Musk’s PR needs aside, I think we’re right to condemn him for words to Unsworth (a provoked but disproportionate response). Working under the assumption that Unsworth is innocent of the charge, he should sue for libel. If he can’t afford to, he should be helped. Or Musk should reach out proactively to donate to a charity of Unsworth’s choice to begin his amends."

The writer of the above lists his qualifications as: Consultant. Ex copywriter, analyst, co-founder, and non-profit exec.

He is not a lawyer. In the US, especially California, even if Unsworth is innocent of the charge of being a pedo, that is in and of itself not sufficient likely in this case to prove libel. And Musk's offered apology alludes to this.

And if a jury would see the smug look on Unsworth's face as he gives his advice as to what Mr. Musk should do in this video, they might wonder why Unsworth is suing Musk and not the other way around.

V_U CNN.png

24 minutes ago, Artisi said:

But as usual you are nit-picking the original comment for your own benefit. 

This correction is not for my benefit because I already knew the truth. It is for the benefit of others to know the truth.

7 hours ago, Artisi said:

the cave was dry when they entered and they can't swim

Although this was considered to be the case throughout the entire rescue mission, it was revealed in the hospital interviews that the boys actually could swim, and once they were trapped had to swim deeper into the cave to find refuge. 

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Although this was considered to be the case throughout the entire rescue mission, it was revealed in the hospital interviews that the boys actually could swim, and once they were trapped had to swim deeper into the cave to find refuge. 

The actual story and truth will slowly emerge. Never trust press reports as events unfold, rather, wait for the facts to emerge.

8 hours ago, grollies said:

The actual story and truth will slowly emerge. Never trust press reports as events unfold, rather, wait for the facts to emerge.

These were the first interviews conducted live in the hospital, this was the coach's version of events - everything previously was guesswork. He mentioned that swimming was part of their Saturday coaching programme, so it's unlikely this would be untrue. Of course "swimming" might have got lost in translation, and he might have meant something more akin to wading. 

Another example of how the people who have reached the pinnacle of American Society behave. 

i'll tell you what, walk into one of these million dollar country clubs and let me know how many quality people you meet inside. The dregs run our society, we just fail to admit it for some reason. 

Lots of bickering here.  How many here have had adventures as a kid, like falling 30 or 40 feet out of the top of a tree that snapped off as a 9 year old?  Or dug their own cave in a hillside that was a death trap awaiting, or crawled through a long, tight storm sewer or cave and gotten hung up a time or two?  Fast-forward to real modern life, those experiences give you a gut feel for what is practical, but only if you are on (or under) the ground.    Suppository-X is a great idea and tool, just not in a cave with a few tiny passages.

As for name-calling, I have no use for it.  Let people vent, but let it go for what it is. 

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

<snip>

As for name-calling, I have no use for it.  Let people vent, but let it go for what it is. 

Sure but it ain't you that is the matter here. Ball is in Mr. Unsworth's court as to what transpires next.

On 7/15/2018 at 7:21 PM, Carib said:

You are forgetting the nurse --diver love couple. Hollywood material for sure..

That's a lot better than my story 40 years ago.  I was a Peace Crops volunteer and she did a good job washing my laundry. 

7 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Another example of how the people who have reached the pinnacle of American Society behave. 

i'll tell you what, walk into one of these million dollar country clubs and let me know how many quality people you meet inside. The dregs run our society, we just fail to admit it for some reason. 

Whooah.... easy.  I,you, he/she/it,we,you, they.... can all choose to be kings of our own empire, and still walk comfortably with the common man (since we are they).  The 'salt of the earth' people (if I read you correctly) would not give a flying f-thing about your bank balance, they just wouldn't notice, but they'll sense bs when it's around them.  Leave those 'perfect masters' to play with themselves.

We don't have to 'settle' for anything, we can raise the bar.  Universe might leave you out in the cold for a while, but it's perfectly happy to provide whatever you have conviction about.  A snap of the fingers and the whole thing flips like a crystaline NiTinol object, and ...so it is.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:07 PM, Shiver said:

Whooah.... easy.  I,you, he/she/it,we,you, they.... can all choose to be kings of our own empire, and still walk comfortably with the common man (since we are they).  The 'salt of the earth' people (if I read you correctly) would not give a flying f-thing about your bank balance, they just wouldn't notice, but they'll sense bs when it's around them.  Leave those 'perfect masters' to play with themselves.

We don't have to 'settle' for anything, we can raise the bar.  Universe might leave you out in the cold for a while, but it's perfectly happy to provide whatever you have conviction about.  A snap of the fingers and the whole thing flips like a crystaline NiTinol object, and ...so it is.

Rich people cause all the treachery on earth. This somehow gets masked and the "bad guys" all live in the hoods of America, but all the evil is coming straight from the top down. This may have been what Reagan meant when he talked about trickle down economics... "I am the guy who will buy a yatch so I can provide jobs for people to scrape the crap off the bottom". 

I suppose I would agree with you in a way, I think I do. Common people have just as much inclination to be evil as the rich... the big difference is they do not have the means to propogate it and profit from it. An unemployed redneck isn't going to lend false money to millions, screw the entire market because of greed, and then be rectified/bailed out by the very people who were getting bent over in the first place. 

I just wonder when we are going to realize who the bad guys really are, and then actually do something about it. 

Archived