New ATM Fees?

As far as I can remember, the rule has always been simple: you use a different bank's ATM to withdraw cash, they charge you a fee (commonly 10 Baht) PER WITHDRAWAL.

However, today after my girlfriend got back home she was confused - and rightly so. The ATM kept "informing" her that she has been charged a fee. Several times, before she has even withdrawn anything.

We checked the e-banking, and sure enough:

image.png.a71157ef29bc6a8476cea16a400d1193.png

The "transaction" basically went something like this:

- Card in, enter the PIN

- Check the balance

- PING "You've been charged 10 Baht"

- What the hell?

- Check the balance again

- Huh?

- Withdraw the money

- Hrrrrmmmmmm

- Check the balance (who knows why)

At that point she was furious.

Phoned up SCB and they stated that this was "normal" and not new. Apparently the fee (when using a different bank's ATM) is "per transaction" - so this means anything and everything that they need to contact your bank for including a balance check.

According to her this hasn't happened before and I tend to agree with her. It's possible that the other ATMs (this one was TMB) just aren't nice enough to rub it in your face that you've just been charged for basically nothing, but I also don't recall ever seeing this.

Fan

It seems you've answered your own question.  When using a different bank's ATM, some do charge for every transaction.  Not sure why your GF has to check her balance so many times.  I never check my balance as it's stated on the receipt for each withdrawal.  Tell her to hang onto that receipt each time she makes a withdrawal. 

Perhaps your girlfriend could use online banking in the future to do things like checking her balance. For better or for worse the government is trying to move Thailand towards a cashless society. With the amount of bank closures that are going to happen in the new few years there will be a lot less ATMs to use anyway.

I don't ever recall being charged a fee without first being offered an "off-ramp". i.e. notification that I would be charged a fee if I proceeded, and implicitly, that I could avoid a fee by not proceeding. 

33 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Perhaps your girlfriend could use online banking in the future to do things like checking her balance. For better or for worse the government is trying to move Thailand towards a cashless society. With the amount of bank closures that are going to happen in the new few years there will be a lot less ATMs to use anyway.

Bank closures? Care to elaborate? Which banks?

13 minutes ago, Na Fan said:

Bank closures? Care to elaborate? Which banks?

SCB has publicly stated they are going to close about 700 branches. The process has already started - for example the Sukhumvit 45 branch is closing shortly.

While other banks have not made similar statements, I can assure you that they are all looking to push business online and away from physical transactions.

4 minutes ago, blackcab said:

SCB has publicly stated they are going to close about 700 branches. The process has already started - for example the Sukhumvit 45 branch is closing shortly.

Right - "branch" closures. That's fine (and probably a good thing - they need to modernize and stop forcing people to go to the branch in person for every little thing).

I interpreted your statement as meaning actual banks disappearing - not just branches ?

3 minutes ago, Na Fan said:

Right - "branch" closures. That's fine (and probably a good thing - they need to modernize and stop forcing people to go to the branch in person for every little thing).

I interpreted your statement as meaning actual banks disappearing - not just branches ?

Apologies for that. I meant physical branches and other physical assets such as ATMs will be be closed. The actual legal entity that holds a banking license will of course remain open. Nobody is going to close such a profitable business.

13 minutes ago, Na Fan said:

they need to modernize and stop forcing people to go to the branch in person for every little

No No No.    "they need to modernize and stop forcing people to go to the branch in person for every little"

You'll still  need to go to the "nearest branch" but it'll just be further away     ?

2 hours ago, Na Fan said:

That's fine (and probably a good thing - they need to modernize and stop forcing people to go to the branch in person for every little thing). 

Bet you have not seen the times (>10 yr ago) when most people in upcountry didn't even get an ATM card? Much has changed.

SCB is sometimes a bit busy, but I never had to wait more than 10 min at my Bangkok Bank branch. And of course I only go there when necessary (opening/closing accounts, new card, withdraw/deposit > 50/100k).

The Bangkok branch was built/sized for those old times and now is oversized.

But still banks like KTB have special functions/burdens that let them be crowded like mad on certain times. Same for BAAC (unknown to most foreigners). Sometimes they build tents outside for the waiting/queue crowds (paying subsidies/earnings to farmers e.g.).

To the topic: I saw some hints that indeed such a "interbank" balance check costs a fee.

I never had the need so was not aware.

Don't forget: in many countries this would not even be possible.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thais are ridiculously slow when using an ATM, checking balance, card in out in out. Maybe the banks are fed up with the slow play and are charging. Or it could be an error

Maybe you are not aware that the ATMs offer a multitude of functions not only cash withdrawal? (utility payments, transfers, misc other payments, applying for services)

Not playing, not error but entering long numbers, account numbers etc.

And that is indeed a "problem" as paying bills, doing transfers etc. can take quite long.

At this situation you would be happy they would do that at the counter.

Fortunately not many are aware about the four free withdrawals per month at other banks ATM :whistling:

The problem is added by the fact that most banks have separated ATM, CDM and book update machines. So if they have three machines only one is a versatile ATM where the queue builds.

Multifunction terminals are still rare.

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

I use a BB ATM to withdraw cash from my CIMB account ... I don't get any charges BUT I have only used ATM's just a few Kms away from my CIMB Bank.

Four times a month should be free anyway (except CIMB has special rules).

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

While other banks have not made similar statements, I can assure you that they are all looking to push business online and away from physical transactions.

Anyone seen a list (in English) of which SCB branches are closing?

I've searched scbeasy which is the English part of their website and found nothing.

19 minutes ago, VBF said:

Anyone seen a list (in English) of which SCB branches are closing?

I've searched scbeasy which is the English part of their website and found nothing.

I doubt that they will make a list public beforehand.

Might not be too motivating for the staff.

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I doubt that they will make a list public beforehand.

Might not be too motivating for the staff.

You may be right - it's been announced in advance in UK when banks and other businesses have been going to close, but of course...TIT:unsure:

10 minutes ago, blackcab said:

That information will be restricted. But if I had to guess, the first ones to go would be big branches that don't have many walk in customers, where the value of the land is high.

I did actually ask in the Pattaya Sai branch where my account is located, back in January, and at the time I was told that branch would not only remain open but was planned to expand.

However, that was then and as I'm not in Thailand and won't be for some time, I'm just a little concerned what will happen the next time I send money prior to travelling.  No idea if they'll notify me via email or what might happen.

SCB have it worked out quite well. If your branch is closing, everything to do with your account remains the same. Same branch and account numbers, same ATM cards, same PIN numbers, same cheque books, same online banking.

The only bit that changes is the physical location of your branch. If your physical branch closes it will be consolidated with an existing branch.

The idea is that the existing branch will have two sets of branch numbers, but they will not be able to open new accounts using the branch code of the closed branch. Over time the amount of legacy accounts will naturally dwindle as they are closed or people die.

I've already received a letter saying that my SCB branch is closing and that if I physically want to visit my home branch then I have to go to another location.

3 minutes ago, blackcab said:

SCB have it worked out quite well. If your branch is closing, everything to do with your account remains the same. Same branch and account numbers, same ATM cards, same PIN numbers, same cheque books, same online banking.

The only bit that changes is the physical location of your branch. If your physical branch closes it will be consolidated with an existing branch.

The idea is that the existing branch will have two sets of branch numbers, but they will not be able to open new accounts using the branch code of the closed branch. Over time the amount of legacy accounts will naturally dwindle as they are closed or people die.

I've already received a letter saying that my SCB branch is closing and that if I physically want to visit my home branch then I have to go to another location.

Thanks @blackcab - useful information there. 

As long as the money I send gets to my account next time and i can use my card to get at it, i'm happy.

Realistically, if that's the case, then all I'll need to do when I next go is to trot up to where the branch was and sort it out from there if it's become a building site!

About two months ago the banks stated they would stop the practice of charging for ATM cards of other  bank using their ATMs. I have  kasicorn bank ATM card which I have used a different banks machines so imagine my surprise when I used  a Kasicorn machine but in the next Chanwat I got charged 15b if I had used the BB machine I would  have saved 15b crazy don' t try to understand  the logic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

Bangkok Bank iBanking stopped charging 25 Baht for immediate transfer (T-Express) to a 3rd party or external bank.  Oddly enough, the transfer screen still shows a charge for the two slower options - T-Priority and T-Basic. 

image.png.a75218a18a2933d083a6e2a1b53a05c8.png

18 hours ago, PizzaLover5 said:

That's ridiculous, banks are just getting worse and worse charging you for anything in regards to your own money. I only use a European bank card here in Phuket and the charge is now 220 baht for every withdrawal! 

has been 220 baht for months and months and months

18 hours ago, blackcab said:

With the amount of bank closures that are going to happen in the new few years there will be a lot less ATMs to use anyway.

The vast majority of ATMs are not at banks. They are in malls or all over the streets. I love that here. In the UK you have to search for one even in cities like London. In Bangkok you just look left or right and you'll find one soon enough.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The vast majority of ATMs are not at banks. They are in malls or all over the streets. I love that here. In the UK you have to search for one even in cities like London. In Bangkok you just look left or right and you'll find one soon enough.

There is an atm outside NEARLY ALL 7 elevens

With everything, you have to learn the ins and outs

1) How much do you charge annually for a debit card, 300 baht, tell you what, if I put my money into your bank, you charge me zero baht per annum, on top of that, you charge me zero baht for my annual immigration letter advising them how much I have in my account

All agreed on of course.

I never withdrawal money from another Bank's ATM machine, let alone the same bank in another area.

When I buy building materials from the likes of HomePro, DoHome, etc, etc, i.e. 30,000 baht or over, I make sure they do not charge me the 3% on the card, i.e. my debit card, means its my money, so why the need to charge me 3%, its not a credit card, only had Index Living refuse me, so they lost my business, and I always get free home delivery, even though they want to charge me 525 baht, sometimes you have to explain to the manager, the 525 baht you want to charge me will cost you over 10,000 baht in profit, do you see my point, they do, but some like Index Living are thicker than others.

Don;t be like most, put your terms and conditions forward and if the bank or store doesn't want your business, someone else will take it 555

Archived