New ATM Fees?

21 hours ago, PizzaLover5 said:

That's ridiculous, banks are just getting worse and worse charging you for anything in regards to your own money. I only use a European bank card here in Phuket and the charge is now 220 baht for every withdrawal! 

do you expect banks to service you and work for you for nothing?

banks are in the business in order to make satang for their share holders.

20 hours ago, blackcab said:

Apologies for that. I meant physical branches and other physical assets such as ATMs will be be closed. The actual legal entity that holds a banking license will of course remain open. Nobody is going to close such a profitable business.

I'm pretty sure SCB is not the only Thai banking company reducing its branches footprint, either already or moving ahead.

CIMB in the past year or so has been doing major branch closings. And I'm pretty sure in reading a BKKB annual report the other day, it was showing a downward trend in their branch count.

The one thing I'm less clear on is that branch counts and numbers don't necessarily equate to the same or equal reduction in ATM counts, since the latter can be maintained apart from actual branches.

40 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm pretty sure SCB is not the only Thai banking company reducing its branches footprint, either already or moving ahead.

CIMB in the past year or so has been doing major branch closings. And I'm pretty sure in reading a BKKB annual report the other day, it was showing a downward trend in their branch count.

The one thing I'm less clear on is that branch counts and numbers don't necessarily equate to the same or equal reduction in ATM counts, since the latter can be maintained apart from actual branches.

When some branches are closed the ATMs will be removed as the land will be sold. That being said, a bigger threat to ATMs is the banks trying to push as much online as they can. Promptpay, free online transfers, credit card promotions, etc. Cash use will inevitably decline, and ATMs will be a consequence of that. I understand that ATMs can do many more things than dispense cash, but then again so can a smartphone app.

ATMs cost a lot of money to purchase, operate, replenish and service. In time they will go the same way as payphones. It's just a matter of how much time.

I think my point was, Thai banks can and do maintain their ATMs as standalone units, not necessarily connected to actual branches.  Whether that standalone mode will increase its share or not as the physical branch counts are reduced I don't know. But I'd say it's at least possible.

22 hours ago, allane said:

I don't ever recall being charged a fee without first being offered an "off-ramp". i.e. notification that I would be charged a fee if I proceeded, and implicitly, that I could avoid a fee by not proceeding. 

I never get an "off-ramp" when withdrawing with my K-Bank ATM card. I only get the "off-ramp" when doing an international transaction on overseas cards.

I live in Pattaya. I can use my K-Bank card in any ATM in Pattaya with no fee. When I use it in BKK I'm charged 15 baht in K-Bank ATM's and 20 baht in other bank's ATM's. What a scam! It's an electronic transaction - it should make no difference where you are in Thailand.

22 hours ago, allane said:

I don't ever recall being charged a fee without first being offered an "off-ramp". i.e. notification that I would be charged a fee if I proceeded, and implicitly, that I could avoid a fee by not proceeding. 

In case of OP it seems like the charge came from the card issuing bank (SCB) and not the ATM provider (TMB). The ATM does not know beforehand which fees your bank charges for certain things, but it seems that he got a "pingback" about the fees from SCB and thus displayed the message after processing the transaction.

I never get an "off-ramp" when withdrawing with my K-Bank ATM card. I only get the "off-ramp" when doing an international transaction on overseas cards.

I live in Pattaya. I can use my K-Bank card in any ATM in Pattaya with no fee. When I use it in BKK I'm charged 15 baht in K-Bank ATM's and 20 baht in other bank's ATM's. What a scam! It's an electronic transaction - it should make no difference where you are in Thailand.

15 baht , 20 baht? A pittance.
A bunch of flowers and incense to mKe merit at a temple is 20 baht are you that skint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

15 baht , 20 baht? A pittance.
A bunch of flowers and incense to mKe merit at a temple is 20 baht are you that skint?

Yeah, thanks for asking - that's how skint I am. I plan my BKK trips so I don't need to use ATM's there. I pay 30k per month rent, so I really have to save my pennies.

The OP is complaining about 10 baht fees, so if fees don't concern you - find another thread to pollute.

6 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

why on earth should 4 times a month be free?

I rea quite some time ago that up to 40% of Australian banks profit was from ATM fees.  When I was a lad banks used to want your deposits and clever people would use that money to invest and loan and make a profit. They were real bankers.  Not anymore it seems.  Force you to use plastic and then charge you for the privilege. 

6 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Why you ask me about the "why" of published rules?

Ask the Thai Bankers Association, thanks.

Four withdrawals a month at other banks ATMs are free.

And the good thing is that I have tried and proofed on my own.

just a general comment re banks and fees,

today larger banks  offers a series of products

real estate sale/purchase

loans

forex

a host of insurance schemes

various types of accounts

safe deposit boxes

electronic banking

... you name it

of all the services banks offer there is one service that really stands out as being EXPENSIVE to the banks

and that is anything which has to do with handling of cash

the cost of cash handling is HIGH compared to a host of other services

no wonder they fancy charging through ATMs

the weird thing is that you can walk into a branch office - do some of the same things you can do with an ATM

using manpower and using office space - free of charge

This will change - soon / probably not by charging in branch offices but through removal of branch offices

23 hours ago, Aupee said:

About two months ago the banks stated they would stop the practice of charging for ATM cards of other  bank using their ATMs. I have  kasicorn bank ATM card which I have used a different banks machines so imagine my surprise when I used  a Kasicorn machine but in the next Chanwat I got charged 15b if I had used the BB machine I would  have saved 15b crazy don' t try to understand  the logic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

No they didn't...they said fee for many "transfers, bill payments, and top-up services" would be dropped whether you do these transaction at an ATM or via ibanking.   ATM withdrawals fees were "not" done away with.

Partial quotes for a recent newspaper articles on subj

BBL, SCB and KBank permanently removed the fee for interbank and cross-clearing zone money transfers, bill payments and top-up services through the digital platform, while KTB offers the services free... 

Two of the better banks operating in Thailand, Kasikornbank and Siam Commercial Bank, have listened to the wants of their customers and are removing the THB25-THB35 fees for transferring money to accounts at other banks via mobile and internet banking.

18 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Most (not all) of the Thai banks are members of the Thailand ATM Pool. "If" your bank is part of this ATM Pool then up to 4 ATM out-of-banking region/province ATMs withdrawals per month are free.  Beginning at the 5th withdrawal whatever fee is applicable for the ATM you are using is applied.   Like below partial quote from a K-bank fee schedule on ATM fees.

** If five or more transactions are made via other banks' ATM within ATM Pool, the Bank will charge 10 Baht on the 5th transaction of each month onward, except for interbank funds transfer.

5 hours ago, Pib said:

Two of the better banks operating in Thailand, Kasikornbank and Siam Commercial Bank, have listened to the wants of their customers and are removing the THB25-THB35 fees for transferring money to accounts at other banks via mobile and internet banking.

Kasikorn removed that fee months ago - for immediate transfers. Previously there was a zero fee option on 1 - 3 days processing of transfers. I saved my self about 70 baht already LOL

Archived