Light Rail Construction Approved for Chiang Mai

snoop1130

Light Rail Construction Approved for Chiang Mai

by CityNews

2017_05_15_FTN_MAP_CMPMAP_A-728x1030.jpg

CityNews – The Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA) has finally approved the construction of the light railway transit system project in Chiang Mai.

After the green light was given for the draft decree back in August 2017, the MRTA has finally given the green light to start the formal planning and construction of a light railway in Chiang Mai.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/light-rail-construction-approved-chiang-mai/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-7-16

15 minutes ago, Cloggie said:

Why not go for a trolley bus?

It uses electricity (so no pollution) and they can use the existing electricity poles and other poles to install the overhead line.....

download (1).jpg

Yes but Chiang MAi already has traffic jams and they are getting worse and worse, now often quite long delays on many roads when kids getting into / getting out of school and more, so not sure that more vehicles at ground level is a good answer,

IMHO the only system which has some speed etc., is a mix of underground and overhead, and seems to me that the monorail system, similar to the highly successful design in Kuala Lumpur, is the overhead answer. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Yes but Chiang MAi already has traffic jams and they are getting worse and worse, now often quite long delays on many roads when kids getting into / getting out of school and more, so not sure that more vehicles at ground level is a good answer,

IMHO the only system which has some speed etc., is a mix of underground and overhead, and seems to me that the monorail system, similar to the highly successful design in Kuala Lumpur, is the overhead answer. 

In that case, make special bus lanes as well.

If you want people to use the bus then you have to make the other forms of transport more difficult otherwise they will not use the bus....

8 minutes ago, Cloggie said:

If you want people to use the bus then you have to make the other forms of transport more difficult otherwise they will not use the bus....

Sure but the available road surface is not ideal for numerous dedicated bus lanes and I really doubt that Chiang Mai drivers will respect the law and keep out of the bus lanes.

If I'm correct then we're back to square one with bus transport being unattractive in terms of speed.

8 minutes ago, Cloggie said:

Maybe in the city's outer limits.

Within the city too many narrow single-lane roads.  Would be a nightmare maneuvering those around the moat, through the old city, or by the riverbanks.  Trolley poles becoming detached in the mess of wires would cause massive traffic jams as well.

I know where those buses are from by the way  ?  

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yes, Singapore and KL have used them successfully.   Given todays technologies, they would be easier to build.  China has just started installing and selling them as well.  Their impact is less than that of traditional systems. 

When I am in KL, I take the monorail all the time.  It is actually good fun. 

11 hours ago, YTP said:

Maybe in the city's outer limits.

Within the city too many narrow single-lane roads.  Would be a nightmare maneuvering those around the moat, through the old city, or by the riverbanks.  Trolley poles becoming detached in the mess of wires would cause massive traffic jams as well.

I know where those buses are from by the way  ?  

Underground and overhead (monorail) to a number of outer terminus locations then local small buses (hopefully better the red song taows).

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Yes, Singapore and KL have used them successfully.   Given todays technologies, they would be easier to build.  China has just started installing and selling them as well.  Their impact is less than that of traditional systems. 

When I am in KL, I take the monorail all the time.  It is actually good fun. 

True, I've used the monorail on several routes in KL many times, and the frequency is also attractive. The next train arrives within perhaps 3 to 5 minutes after the last one departed, meaning no long wait for the next train and no overcrowding. And smooth quiet operation. KL seems to have got the overall planning very well organized and the system is well used by the locals and it's not expensive, pretty much everybody can easily afford to use it. 

Cant see it working in Chiang Mai with the roads and drivers. Even if elevated I am sure a Chiang Mai driver would find a way to get up there. 

Was once driving in CM with a Thai passenger and a Thai driver made a manoeuvre  and I asked the passenger why they do that. She said only in CM they do that, no where else in Thailand they do.

39 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Where is Elton Musk when you need him?... :coffee1:

Yep, install underground and above ground water filled tubes everywhere with mnini-subs travelling at the speed of sound.

Problem solved. 

6 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Cant see it working in Chiang Mai with the roads and drivers. Even if elevated I am sure a Chiang Mai driver would find a way to get up there. 

Was once driving in CM with a Thai passenger and a Thai driver made a manoeuvre  and I asked the passenger why they do that. She said only in CM they do that, no where else in Thailand they do.

Yep.

This is very good news, the traffic is getting crazy. Monorails have started to become popular with the Pink and Yellow Lines in Bangkok under construction, Hat Yai looking at them and under consideration in Khon Kaen. They take up less land and are very comfortable.

Buses and songtaews/minibuses will still be needed as feeders for the trains to get people to and from stations. Hopefully they will sort out the bus lane situation at the same time.

14 hours ago, Cloggie said:

It uses electricity (so no pollution) and they can use the existing electricity poles and other poles to install the overhead line.....

download (1).jpg

Yes, why not?

It seems to me that trolleybuses are not "sexy" enough for officials.

A tram is much more, ehhhh, face?

1-2 billion THB per Km for Japanese style light rail.  Looks like at least a few can find good smoke in CM, because you would have to be stoned to believe the money is there for that type of money losing expenditure.

15 hours ago, Cloggie said:

download (1).jpg

Yes, more overhead power cables are just whats needed in Thailand.

image.jpeg.3c4224d6a41725079908d0bfdf915c92.jpeg

Not sure if they study the feasibility, with a population only about 100k, it will take ages for them to recover the investment. Unless it covers all the tourist destinations, I doubt visitors would bother to take rail as car would be more convenient. Will need at least a city with 1 mil population to consider building rail..

Archived