Light Rail Construction Approved for Chiang Mai

snoop1130

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

True, I've used the monorail on several routes in KL many times, and the frequency is also attractive. The next train arrives within perhaps 3 to 5 minutes after the last one departed, meaning no long wait for the next train and no overcrowding. And smooth quiet operation. KL seems to have got the overall planning very well organized and the system is well used by the locals and it's not expensive, pretty much everybody can easily afford to use it. 

If only their northern neighbor would pay attention to their accomplishments. 

18 hours ago, moontang said:

good luck cornering the moat......

Even if above ground then a rail wouldn't need to do the one-way U-turn thing.  You can have a separate rail line going both directions on the same side as long as it's separated from other traffic.

9 hours ago, Saraphee said:

and navigating Bumrung Buri market/Pratu Chiang Mai!

Yeah, that can't really be done above-ground.

Cool chunk of money to invest in the North.. somehow I can't see it happening anytime soon..

On 7/16/2018 at 7:23 PM, Cloggie said:

Why not go for a trolley bus?

It uses electricity (so no pollution) and they can use the existing electricity poles and other poles to install the overhead line.....

download (1).jpg

Where do you think electricity comes from? 

4 hours ago, moontang said:

a monorail doesn't need to turn around to reverse direction, if needed, but would need a lot more room than a semi truck to make a 90 degree turn.

Obviously not an easy turn but monorail designers seem to to able to design these turns and they work.

I recall one example in a city in China (forget the city name) where there was a need for a sharp turn for a new monorail. End result an old building on the tight corner was demolished, a new multi-storey building designed and erected with a 'tunnel' through the level where the monorail was to be built, all designed to easy the tightness of the corner curve. 

On 7/16/2018 at 5:18 PM, Sparkles said:

English version would be appreciated.My understanding of the colour coding etc is very limited

Some details here

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/public-transportation-network-alternatives-a-and-b/

Used to ride the Chicago 'El' to school bending around near impossible curves high above the dirt, the car hanging far over the edge of the trestle. A great ride and memory of  doing written homework bouncing  side to side, fingers near froze.

I'm done with the homework and cold fingers/toes.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:36 PM, scorecard said:

Just wondering if 'above ground' mean at street level (as opposed to underground), or above the street level, e.g. monorail or similar?

Light rail is similar to trams only more modern

The digging underneath the old city bit worries me. On one hand you hear about pushing for "World Heritage"  status etc etc. But if you dig underneath the whole lot then surely any sort of "Heritage Status" goes out of the window!

Archived