Shock as Trump backs Putin on election meddling at summit

webfact

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Actually, the sad thing is how inexpert and foolish the information has become. Remember the birther movement? Even in August of 2016,  41 percent of Republicans believed that nonsense. 27 percent disbelieved, and 31 percent were undecided. And statistically there was no difference between Republicans with high political knowledge and those with low political knowledge

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/poll-persistent-partisan-divide-over-birther-question-n627446

I'm waiting for the Republicans to launch a new flat Earth movement.  And it can go right along with their divine creation movement, birther movement, fake moon landing movement, pollution isn't causing warming movement, Elvis isn't dead movement, burn witches and gays at the stake movement, Trump is tough on Putin movement, etc etc.   :cheesy:  :cheesy:

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm waiting for the Republicans to launch a new flat Earth movement.  And it can go right along with their divine creation movement, birther movement, fake moon landing movement, pollution isn't causing warming, etc etc.

Off topic, but No, no no! Flat Earth movement, which I support, is against those nutter movements, like anti-vaccination, religions, homeopathy etc. Flat Earth movement is supposed to sound so ridiculous, which would make people to have a deep thoughts of their own movements. Naturally there are always few true believers, but that's just fun ?

On 7/18/2018 at 12:01 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

but they can always change their minds. Just because they allow him discretionary power, it does not mean he is unfettered.

In any case, if he actually did anything bad enough, congress can impeach him, but they haven't, so...……………….

So very bad is okay with so long as it's not bad enough?

On 7/17/2018 at 4:46 PM, BobBKK said:

I'm afraid your reflections, if they can be called that,  are so off the mark its almost embarrassing. Putin is not a Hitler. Your hatred burns away at your soul and you cannot see anything for the flames. USA is not at war with Russia and Russia is not the enemy even though some US rednecks want to paint it that way.  Both sides spy, meddle and cheat right?  it's all manufactured BS for the masses hoping to get rid of Trump in 2020. Tell us you can see that.

It turns out that there is someone who disagrees with you about Russian. His name is Donald Trump:

Trump Says He Laid Down the Law in His Latest Account of His Meeting With Putin

"President Trump sowed even more confusion on Wednesday over his recent meeting with President Vladimir V. Putin, insisting after a day of conflicting statements about Russia’s interference in the 2016 election that he had actually laid down the law with Mr. Putin.

“I let him know we can’t have this,” Mr. Trump said in an interview with “CBS Evening News.” “We’re not going to have it, and that’s the way it’s going to be.”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/18/us/politics/trump-putin-higher-intelligence.html

9 minutes ago, Opl said:

"A New Talking Point From the Pro-Trump Fringe . A new line of punditry is bubbling up among the president’s followers online: It was a positive thing that the Russians hacked the 2016 election. 3

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/07/trump-voters-putin-russia/565592/

Jim Jones sure woulda loved to have these trumpians in his Peoples Temple in Guyana! They would suck that kool-aid down at the drop of a hat!!

Nothing surprising here. US  prestige and influence is declining as is its economy. Its wages are pitiful compared to other developed countries which is why so many yanks work two even three jobs to make ends meet.

The US president is a TV personality same as  B actor Ronald Reagan in the 80's.

Trump is simply a reflection of ignorant Americans.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Republicans in the U.S. truly have lost their minds over Trump....

See the thread on the new Reuters poll conducted after Trump's summit performance:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1048990-majority-of-americans-think-trump-mishandling-russia-reutersipsos-poll/

On whether they believe U.S. intelligence that Russia interfered in the presidential election:

And...

The Republican party I've known for the entirety of my life, even though I didn't agree with them for the most part, has somehow vanished and been replaced by an entirely different and bizarre creation.

So the NRA gun nuts (whom Russia has been trying to co-opt) and the squirrel eaters now think that Russia is our friend???

So the NRA gun nuts (whom Russia has been trying to co-opt) and the squirrel eaters now think that Russia is our friend???

Not necessarily so. They could just recognise that Russia isn't as big a priority as the country that actually is a major threat.

They might also think that hacking foreign governments and election meddling is a normal thing now, and done by most governments, including the US.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not necessarily so. They could just recognise that Russia isn't as big a priority as the country that actually is a major threat.

They might also think that hacking foreign governments and election meddling is a normal thing now, and done by most governments, including the US.

So you think it's normal to hack foreign governments and meddle in elections.  Do you think we should just let it go, or should we do something about it when foreign governments are hacking our infrastructure and interfering in our elections?  You something like investigate and take action against these things?

Are you accusing the US of interfering in foreign elections?  Are you one of those who will bring up examples from the Cold War, or site Obama publicly backing the UK government's opposition to Brexit before that vote?  Do you have any examples of the US engaging in current election interference akin to what Russia did?

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Are you accusing the US of interfering in foreign elections?  Are you one of those who will bring up examples from the Cold War, or site Obama publicly backing the UK government's opposition to Brexit before that vote?  Do you have any examples of the US engaging in current election interference akin to what Russia did?

If only Putin smoked cigars, we could get the little bugger...   :cheesy:

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So that explains why 32% of Republicans believe the Russians did attempt to influence the elections?

He still thinks he did a "great job".

Trump reportedly fawned over Putin after their meeting and told aides the Russian leader was strong, smart, and cunning

President Donald Trump reportedly fawned over Russian President Vladimir Putin to his aides after they met for a high stakes summit in Helsinki last week.

The Washington Post reported that Trump specifically admired how Putin is "strong, smart, and cunning." He also reportedly said he relished his interactions with the Russian leader.

Trump stunned observers when, during a press conference after the Helsinki summit, he refused to denounce Putin, declined to hold Russia accountable for its interference in the 2016 election, and suggested the FBI was part of a conspiracy to undermine his election victory. Instead, he touted the "direct, open, deeply productive dialogue" he had with Putin.

https://www.thisisinsider.com/trump-reaction-putin-summit-helsinki-fallout-2018-7

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, heybruce said:

So you think it's normal to hack foreign governments and meddle in elections.  Do you think we should just let it go, or should we do something about it when foreign governments are hacking our infrastructure and interfering in our elections?  You something like investigate and take action against these things?

Why do you think they ain't doing something about it? Why would they tell us what they do? What "action" do you propose anyway- go to war? Attack the Kremlin?

Of course the US interferes in foreign elections, and last century they used to overthrow governments ( Chile, etc ) they didn't like. There is a situation going on right now in a certain country that is probably being meddled in.

The US can hardly accuse other actors of being "bad", when they, and all other developed countries are doing the same.

BTW, did you miss Obama saying no foreign government could affect the outcome of the last election, and Trump should stop whining and go contest the election. My my, things have changed 55555555555555.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, stevenl said:

So that explains why 32% of Republicans believe the Russians did attempt to influence the elections?

Anyone that thinks the Russians didn't attempt to influence the election would be a bit naive. However, a different country was more likely to be succeeding than Russia, yet no one was complaining about it when Trump went to meet their president.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

<snip>

BTW, did you miss Obama saying no foreign government could affect the outcome of the last election, and Trump should stop whining and go contest the election. My my, things have changed 55555555555555.

More Obama whataboutism with misinformation. Obama was responding to Trump's allegations of vote rigging, not Russian interference

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/election-us-2016-37697441/stop-whining-obama-blasts-trump-vote-rigging-claim

3 minutes ago, simple1 said:

More Obama whataboutism with misinformation. Obama was responding to Trump's allegations of vote rigging, not Russian interference

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/election-us-2016-37697441/stop-whining-obama-blasts-trump-vote-rigging-claim

I thought the clamour was about Russia affecting, or RIGGING, the last election. I fail to see the difference. Are you saying all those people saying Russia won the election for Trump are wrong?

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I thought the clamour was about Russia affecting, or RIGGING, the last election. I fail to see the difference. Are you saying all those people saying Russia won the election for Trump are wrong?

Listen to the audio on the link I provided, you will understand. 

Has anyone claimed Trump was voted into power by the 538 electors from the Electoral College due to Russian interference?

4 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Listen to the audio on the link I provided, you will understand. 

Has anyone claimed Trump was voted into power by the 538 electors from the Electoral College due to Russian interference?

I think a lot of people on the resist side have been saying that Russia gave the election to Trump, though I can't give you a specific link. I don't believe Russia did, but then I was happy Trump won over that woman ( could have been a pet rock and I'd have been happy she didn't win ).

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think a lot of people on the resist side have been saying that Russia gave the election to Trump, though I can't give you a specific link. I don't believe Russia did, but then I was happy Trump won over that woman ( could have been a pet rock and I'd have been happy she didn't win ).

Each to their own. Personally I dislike lying Trump.

Why do you think they ain't doing something about it? Why would they tell us what they do? What "action" do you propose anyway- go to war? Attack the Kremlin?

Of course the US interferes in foreign elections, and last century they used to overthrow governments ( Chile, etc ) they didn't like. There is a situation going on right now in a certain country that is probably being meddled in.

The US can hardly accuse other actors of being "bad", when they, and all other developed countries are doing the same.

Preventing future interference requires learning how past interference was done.  Trump and supporters are doing their best to shut down the Mueller investigation into past interference.  That's how I know Trump doesn't want to do anything about it.

As I've posted repeatedly, the US interfered in elections during the cold war, as did the USSR.  What elections has the US interfered in since 1989?

Yes, I missed Obama saying "no foreign government could affect the outcome of the last election".  Is that a direct quote?  What is your source?

Did you miss the repeated posts about Obama wanting to taking strong, bipartisan action against Russian election meddling, but Sen McConnell refusing to cooperate?

Are you saying that an election determined by 70,000 votes in a handful of states could not have been affected by Russian interference?

Anyone that thinks the Russians didn't attempt to influence the election would be a bit naive. However, a different country was more likely to be succeeding than Russia, yet no one was complaining about it when Trump went to meet their president.

I'll bite; what country was more likely to be succeeding (I assume you mean succeeding in influencing the 2016 Presidential election) than Russia?

Archived