BANGKOK 25 March 2019 05:13
webfact

Angry and deep in debt, teachers demand Thai govt step in

7 hours ago, Nigeone said:

Is this not just about living beyond your means ?? Seems like it . Borrowing money and being unable to repay the interest . We've all been there's in the west ,or most have and know well the problems it brings .

There is no welfare system here and inadequate health services for the lower paid. Yes we have, and have debt problems in the West. So we cannot preach to Thais. What is the National Debt of the USA? What does quantative easing mean? Desperate people get in debt not just for personal reasons but because national wealth is not distributed fairly. Soldiers with 12 watches and youths who kill with sports cars seemingly have no debts.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

A lot of blame for teachers here, and possibly rightly so. I don't know enough about teacher salaries, but what kind of salary are they on?

I think teachers should not be paid an amount that means they are only surviving. It is supposed to be a professional and responsible job and they should be paid enough that they can live and have some money left over for saving, spending as they like.

They don't get paid enough to live on in many cases. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

My Thai sister in law is a teacher at a Govt school and it is incredible how many of her colleagues are in serious debt.

The ease at which they obtain these loans is amazing but then again nearly all of then have new cars, the latest iPad and iPhone so it must be worth it......just a shame when the time comes to pay up I guess.

'The ease at which they obtain these loans is amazing but then again nearly all of then have new cars, the latest iPad and iPhone so it must be worth it......'

Sounds like one of those narratives that we need to believe.

Selling the new Revo parked outside the tin hut might help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Selling the new Revo parked outside the tin hut might help.

You couldn't of put it any better.my neighbors got parked out side her tin hut.two Honda jazz and a spanking new Mazda bt50. All in white with black windows.shes a teacher and must of took out3 loans for the family.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you followed history a bit you would have seen that teachers have had their loans refinanced quite a few times by the government.

Yes, but there's a new sheriff in town.

The big problem here is that monetary education along with most things in the education system is non existent therefore the reality is 1and 1 make 3, 5 and 5 make 9, 10 and 10 make 18 so most of them think that if they pay 10,000 per month on a car loan out a monthly salary of 10,000, well that’s ok init !!!

4 hours ago, fantom said:

Their actions

Role models

I could not resist it given the criticism of Thai education.

That's ok, i had no idea it was a spelling or gammar test on tv.

But then again,  i'm not masquerading as a teacher. 

or acting as a role model for children in a working environment  :coffee1:

Edited by stanleycoin

8 hours ago, upu2 said:

Possibly they are but what are the salaries they receive? I dont know so I am asking. Is it sufficient to provide someone with the essentials i.e. food, clothes, shelter etc. do they get paid on time or are payments quite often late? If not then they have justification for complaining

Bog standard teachers appear to get 25k/month + health benefits + pension + cheap loans + whatever they can scam out of their pupils.

In other words, more than 90% of the Thai population get.

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Bog standard teachers appear to get 25k/month + health benefits + pension + cheap loans + whatever they can scam out of their pupils.

In other words, more than 90% of the Thai population get.

In that case there is no excuse

If you are too stupid to manage your own personal finances, how in the world can you expect to educate children? 

Now you know why Thailand education is a joke.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

If you are too stupid to manage your own personal finances, how in the world can you expect to educate children? 

Now you know why Thailand education is a joke.

Thinking about it just how many people from all of our home countries can handle their money in a good way? Not many for sure

• Like 1

Why do teachers always seem to think that they are a special case?  Surely, it is each person's responsibility to manage their own financial affairs in such a way as NOT to get into major debt and this means NOT entering into loan deals which, clearly, they cannot afford. Many people earning considerably less than the teachers have to manage somehow, but at least those poorer individuals and families have a more valid excuse.  Any special treatment by the Government, through more relaxed lending conditions for teachers, merely encourages the situation to continue and possibly get worse. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Why do teachers always seem to think that they are a special case?

The good old Thai cast system, teachers are a micrometer above the common peasant.