How much spending money for 12 days in Bangkok and pattaya

Mattybyrne88

7 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Please don't advise the lad to bring Travelers cheques that are far inferior to a debit card in terms of ease of use.

For a Newbie to Thailand -  I will  -  cause  bank debit card is the most dangerous card in your wallet.  The gals get ahold of that and your PIN they can empty the account  -  say you have $10,000 in the account, that can be emptied in a coupe days - think of the time difference for the banks to discover the abuse.     Ease of use, yep, I have several, low amounts in each for insurance.  Now if you are referring to Credit Cards that have a protection on them???   Thats another topic altogether.   Travellers Checks are insured         Peace

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mattybyrne88 said:

I'm only 19 but have been to Amsterdam 4 times in the last 2 years. Usually spend around 800 for a week there. Surely Bangkok is cheaper. If I budget 400b for lady drink and my drink in gogo bar and 3-4000b for short time maybe 3-4 times during my trip. I'm not a big eater so street food and shopping food court is good. And I'll pre drink vodka or beer from supermarket. Taxi to pattaya and taxi to lopburi and ayyatuya are my big expenses. The rest is shopping and local attractions and fishing. €2500 should be good enough

€2500 is plenty, Thailand is way cheaper than Amsterdam. Biggest risk to your money is stupid decisions, so go easy on the early evening pre drinking. There's really no need to on a budget like that, local beers aren't so expensive. Don't get persuaded by tuk tuk drivers into them taking you to some special show somewhere etc. No need to throw money away on long distance taxis, Ayutthaya is a cheap and easy bus or train ride, Pattaya very easy on the bus for 108 baht, departures every 20 minutes. Meet girls in the discos or elsewhere for a better experience and save a pile of money, short time bar fines tend to have a rushed feel to them and can be very sub par. Steer completely clear of drugs here, too easy to get fitted up. Bear in mind also that Bangkok is not the place to come shopping for most items, the strong value of the baht means any imported products (clothes, shoes etc) are way cheaper back home. Knock offs are a different story, but won't burn a hole in your pocket anyway. There are exceptions - Chinese phones like Huawei for instance can be much better value for money in Asia than the west. Also get a sim card and short term data plan when you arrive, cheap and fast data here. 

9 hours ago, moontang said:

Can I assume you actually know what "median" is?

Being a bit pedantic there. I did acknowledge that you probably included all the rich people. Thing is I cant see your point in quoting a "median" income when that that figure is vastly inflated by a very small number of people in Bangkok. I stand by what I said that in the villages 10,000 would be a very good figure. By the way before you get into a discussion on "Median" income check your facts. It is in fact 3,322 American dollars or 111,000 Baht in December 2017. But as I said the figure is irrelevant.

3 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

For a Newbie to Thailand -  I will  -  cause  bank debit card is the most dangerous card in your wallet.  The gals get ahold of that and your PIN they can empty the account  -  say you have $10,000 in the account, that can be emptied in a coupe days - think of the time difference for the banks to discover the abuse.     Ease of use, yep, I have several, low amounts in each for insurance.  Now if you are referring to Credit Cards that have a protection on them???   Thats another topic altogether.   Travellers Checks are insured         Peace

I would be sensible enough to keep everything locked up in the safe before going out. Just carry money in neck wallet under tshirt. Was robbed in Amsterdam so I'm very careful since then 

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

€2500 is plenty, Thailand is way cheaper than Amsterdam. Biggest risk to your money is stupid decisions, so go easy on the early evening pre drinking. There's really no need to on a budget like that, local beers aren't so expensive. Don't get persuaded by tuk tuk drivers into them taking you to some special show somewhere etc. No need to throw money away on long distance taxis, Ayutthaya is a cheap and easy bus or train ride, Pattaya very easy on the bus for 108 baht, departures every 20 minutes. Meet girls in the discos or elsewhere for a better experience and save a pile of money, short time bar fines tend to have a rushed feel to them and can be very sub par. Steer completely clear of drugs here, too easy to get fitted up. Bear in mind also that Bangkok is not the place to come shopping for most items, the strong value of the baht means any imported products (clothes, shoes etc) are way cheaper back home. Knock offs are a different story, but won't burn a hole in your pocket anyway. There are exceptions - Chinese phones like Huawei for instance can be much better value for money in Asia than the west. Also get a sim card and short term data plan when you arrive, cheap and fast data here. 

Cheers mate, appreciate the advice. 100% there for the cheap knockoffs. I'm getting a lot of information online so I'm pretty up to par with all the scams etc. Regarding the short time for the women, does the hour start as soon as you leave the bar or when you get to hotel? ( I'm there for fun and don't care what people on here think of my debauchery lol )  don't get out much at home...only thing I'm worried about is the drinking as I have a habit of drinking to oblivion lol

8 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Sure yes.

And they may put a knock out pill in your drink and steal your kidneys.

Best to just stay in your room alone and watch TV.

12 hours ago, Mattybyrne88 said:

I'm only 19 but have been to Amsterdam 4 times in the last 2 years. Usually spend around 800 for a week there. Surely Bangkok is cheaper. If I budget 400b for lady drink and my drink in gogo bar and 3-4000b for short time maybe 3-4 times during my trip. I'm not a big eater so street food and shopping food court is good. And I'll pre drink vodka or beer from supermarket. Taxi to pattaya and taxi to lopburi and ayyatuya are my big expenses. The rest is shopping and local attractions and fishing. €2500 should be good enough

You will probably be ok in that case, my recent i had no interest in drinking local beers as it was holiday from the sticks so i blew a fair bit on imported ciders and beers! 

Enjoy !

10 hours ago, Mattybyrne88 said:

Cheers mate, appreciate the advice. 100% there for the cheap knockoffs. I'm getting a lot of information online so I'm pretty up to par with all the scams etc. Regarding the short time for the women, does the hour start as soon as you leave the bar or when you get to hotel? ( I'm there for fun and don't care what people on here think of my debauchery lol )  don't get out much at home...only thing I'm worried about is the drinking as I have a habit of drinking to oblivion lol

I cant really comment about Bangkok I dont know it too well. In Pattaya my advice is to just speak to a girl and see where it takes you. In my whole 10 years of going to Pattaya I have never experienced a girl wanting just an hour out of the bar. These girls exist but normally on soi 6 which is a short time area and the deed is normally done upstairs on the premises. The way to to go is to speak to a girl in a bar/gogo. If you like her ask how much the bar fine and how much ST or LT. If the prices are to your liking ask her to bar fine. The majority of girls will only be too happy to go for a drink and then back to your room for about 3 hours ST or if the mood takes you LT. If you choose LT however you have to agree with her that she will stay until morning. Some will stay until noon some will want to go early. Take it as it comes. No hard or fast rules on what happens.

22 minutes ago, jimn said:

In my whole 10 years of going to Pattaya I have never experienced a girl wanting just an hour out of the bar. 

Wow, in your whole 10 years?  OK.

That is just the opposite of my experiences over the past couple of years living here.

Even many of the girls in the clubs want ST before 2am.

Why?

Because they can get more money going ST with several customers.

Many years ago this place was mostly LT.

Now, it is a ST place and one should be very clear up front because your comment of a 3 hour ST can in their mind mean LT money.

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

That is just the opposite of my experiences over the past couple of years living here.

Why?

Now, it is a ST place and one should be very clear up front because your comment of a 3 hour ST can in their mind mean LT money.

I dont disagree with some of what you say. What I would say it all depends on the gogo. Actually living here now, maybe you do too, I do know what I am speaking about. There are girls in 1 or 2 of the "well known" popular Walking St gogos and the French owned ones where is is more the norm. In the LK ones ST is more like I said. It just depends on the girl at the end of the day.

16 hours ago, poanoi said:

here is his request for info:

[ Staying in Bangkok for 7 nights and pattaya 4 nights. Will be out partying most nights in well known areas and bringing girls back a couple of nights, maybe 4 nights as I'll be exhausted ]

does this boy sounds like he is even remotely

interested in wining & dining teaching a bar girl

how to swallow cognac for 5000 baht an evening ?

or does he sound like he wants to take her

to a short time room and pay 1000 baht tops ?

reading between the lines,

he will do his very best on finding the cheapest prostitutes in the world,

and drink some beer at the same time

where ever did you find the reason to bring cognac into the equation ?

its like adding pi when calculating squares

I think your personal tastes are confusing you. When I was 21 and in Saigon and Bangkok, I  enjoyed cognac, ate Kobe steaks, and drank good wines--still like them. Not everyone is satisfied with aliments ordinaire.

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Haha.  OK.

Yes the Gogo's.   Many of those girls have Thai BF's but sure, they will go for the right amount of money.

With this, like I said I live here and know many guys who do also and the last place they take a girl from is a Gogo.  

Tourist trap 4 times + the cost for what, attitudes, poor service, on and on??

So, if the OP takes the Gogo route yes he will indeed easily need 10,000 b a day ++.

To each their own but for the overall experience they are way at the bottom of my list, in fact totally removed..

Fair enough. Just for interest, where do you meet your girls then? Bars, Facebook, Nightclubs,  late night bars. You dont have to answer just curious.

46 minutes ago, poanoi said:

which brings us to the question yet again:

in what possible way is cognac linked to a 19 yo

on his way to screw with some of the cheapest prostitutes on the planet ?

how do you visualize the cost of cognac

is in any shape or form going to assist him ?

or is this just some sort of old man gibberish with absolutely no value ?

Look, I was responding to a post which said, “A (sic) outrageous amount crazy to say the least” To which I responded, “Depends on what you do, doesn't it?” And proceeded to explain how you could spend 500 Euros a day. I did not suggest the OP would or should do that.

Now you appear to be hung up on a 19 year old drinking cognac. I do not know how old the OP is, nor do I care. I care even less about your opinion of what you think the OP wants. As I said, how much you spend depends upon what you do.

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

Look, I was responding to a post which said, “A (sic) outrageous amount crazy to say the least” To which I responded, “Depends on what you do, doesn't it?” And proceeded to explain how you could spend 500 Euros a day. I did not suggest the OP would or should do that.

Now you appear to be hung up on a 19 year old drinking cognac. I do not know how old the OP is, nor do I care. I care even less about your opinion of what you think the OP wants. As I said, how much you spend depends upon what you do.

may i suggest empathize with whomever you want to advice ?

feel the person, understand him, and tailor your answer to

what seem to be the most realistic approach.

an example: if i see someone asking financial questions,

on how to make do with a limited amount of money,

i will either try to suggest how to save a buck,

or if i see its not financially viable, suggest dont come,

or a combination of the two.

You OTOH will without any reflection whatsoever suggest:

stay at a 5 star hotel, get the most expensive prostitute you could possibly find, and give her a tip twice that of the asking price,

and do jack shit but sipping bailys with her all day long,

so she soon enough realize she just found true love !

you are not helpful in the slightest, you are wasting space

and bandwidth

24 minutes ago, jimn said:

Fair enough. Just for interest, where do you meet your girls then? Bars, Facebook, Nightclubs,  late night bars. You dont have to answer just curious.

No problem maybe off topic better PM.

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Why?

My first years in Thailand & Pattaya, early seventies, the only short times were in a short time hotel, or massage parlors, but that was 'just another muscle' that needed rubbed - there were no bar fines (Germans came & started that ) Mamasan took care of everything, all transactions were long time you paid her, she paid the girls - you  give a tip - but most were happy being with you, going out to eat, going your hotel,  than back to work the next night........I can't count how many girls introduced me to her  friends to take home, no jealousy's, all friendly, no feeding ducks pieces of your anatomy etc etc etc.        Nothing like today.........I have a left hand  -  her name is Noi.

On 7/20/2018 at 6:59 PM, poanoi said:

may i suggest empathize with whomever you want to advice ?

feel the person, understand him, and tailor your answer to

what seem to be the most realistic approach.

an example: if i see someone asking financial questions,

on how to make do with a limited amount of money,

i will either try to suggest how to save a buck,

or if i see its not financially viable, suggest dont come,

or a combination of the two.

You OTOH will without any reflection whatsoever suggest:

stay at a 5 star hotel, get the most expensive prostitute you could possibly find, and give her a tip twice that of the asking price,

and do jack shit but sipping bailys with her all day long,

so she soon enough realize she just found true love !

you are not helpful in the slightest, you are wasting space

and bandwidth

You continue to rattle and to miss the point; how much you spend all depends upon what you do

• 7 months later...
39 minutes ago, Winky Wilson said:

2500 is good enough. Just be careful bringing ladies to your room. Especially if it has a balcony more than 3 flights above ground floor. You may become a “suicide” statistic from Ireland.

...and do not drink huge ungodly amounts of whisk.....oh, I forgot the OP is Irish.

Apologies.

Archived